Side dish help!

Options
Tomorrow is my meatless dinner night. I am planning black beans and corn tacos but drawing a blank of side dishes. I considered making a low sodiun Spanish rice and salad any other suggestions is appreciated.

Replies

• hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like to make tomatilos as a side dish when I have mexican food. Just pan sear with a little EVOO. Another good one is the quinoa mango medley from skinnytaste.com

Hope you find something yummy!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my meatless dinner night. I am planning black beans and corn tacos but drawing a blank of side dishes. I considered making a low sodiun Spanish rice and salad any other suggestions is appreciated.

Freshly fried tortilla chips and pico or guac

Tostones
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Freshly fried tortilla chips and pico or guac

Tostones

This! Yumm! Can't go wrong with picco de gallo!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I love corn, black beans, fresh cilantro, diced white onions and splashes of lime juice mixed together as a side dish for any taco or dip side dish. good luck:flowerforyou:
  • kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I did pork carnitas with black beans and pico de gallo last night...just did a side salad on the side...I'm gonna keep checking in for ideas.
  • youcrazyroo
    youcrazyroo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How about a spicy coleslaw?

shredded cabbage
    shredded carrots
    green onion
    chili powder
    light mayo
    flavored vinegar
    salt & pepper
    maybe add some nuts if you have the calories to spare :bigsmile:
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great idea, pico de gallo is tasty and low fat. I like this baked sweet potato recipe with no added sugar. You can add a tiny bit of honey if you want (not the 1/2 cup the recipe calls for). you might want to add extra liquid to keep them moist, and decrease the spices/ginger if you haven't made his before. I also use olive oil instead of walnut oil.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-sweet-potatoes-with-ginger-and-honey/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=ginger cadamom sweet potatoes&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • BoboGritt
    BoboGritt Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have been really enjoying sweet potatoes. I messed around and found a very healthy way to prepare them and they have tremendous health values. Peel them and cut them into chunks about 3/4-1' wide and the length of the potato. Spray with a cooking spray that doesn't add any negative values (rather than olive oil) and season with Ms. Dash (I am digging the very spicy one) Cook for 30 minutes on a baking sheet for 30 minutes flipping them every 10 minutes. They are very tasty!

Edit***Oops....forgot....preheat and cook at 450
  • krisnkar
    krisnkar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made a rice-less risotto with shredded cauliflower that was amazing. You can find the recipe on Dr. Oz's website.
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    would humous go with that??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do this with a lot of my Mexican and Central American Cuisine:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mexican_coleslaw.html

The home made chips a pico and/or Guac is also an excellent idea.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Roast butternut squash with mushrooms and pepitas in the oven. Cube it all up, toss with olive oil, season with a little salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Delicious.
  • axelorate
    axelorate Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Tomato and avocado salad with garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro. Kind of like quacamole, but not mashed and with more tomatoes.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    LOL...you lost me at meatless dinner night. All I could think of was cheese pizza.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    chips and salsa! salad would be good too
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like pico de gallo or guacamole, or even just some fresh slices of avocado on the side.
    Or maybe some polenta?
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One if my pals is having a pear, pecan gorgonzola salad tonight. It doesn't match but it sounds too good not to try. So many good options here