Help me break my year long plateau

Options
So, in May 2011 I weighed 180# as a 5'4" female, age 32. I started medifast and lost 25 pounds in 6 months. About this time last year I stopped medifast bc I was no longer "obese" and frankly it's kind of miserable. Since then I have lost not one pound. I literally weigh within half a pound of what I did a year ago. I have fluctuated +/- 2 or 3 pounds but no true loss or gain.

Another element is that I am in pretty good shape. I started with a trainer last February and strength train 2x per week. The intensity could be higher. I did a triathlon in August and I am training for a half marathon next month. I can run 10 10:30 miles. BUT my body fat is 31% and also hasn't really budged AT ALL. I am the mythical "fit but fat."

So, diet: I have been tracking since October, about 2 months. I have been maybe 75% compliant but figured I was exercising so much I would still see results. Obviously not! I usually hit my caloric goals but I eyeball instead of measuring fairly often AND I cheat samples at the store, tastes of my kids' food, etc. I do drink a lot of water, no soda. Very little refined carbs or added sugar. I am nervous about sharing my diary but if y'all are nice I might consider it :)

What I am looking for is some direction on how to change what is apparently a new set point for my body. I would like to get my body fat % under 25, ideally 20% but I am not too worried about my weight if I'm there. I am totally open to changing up my workout routine after my race and I'm considering cross fit. HELP!

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When you exercise, do you break a continuous sweat?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You eyeball instead of measure.

Meet your caloric goal only 75% of the time.

Those are MASSIVE problems when trying to lose weight. It's kind of like saying you set yourself on fire all the time and can't figure out why you're burning.
  • jessbbaker
    jessbbaker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks for the tough love. When I said I met my caloric goal 75% of the time, I usually am under maybe 20% and over 5%.

Measuring: is it that helpful / important? How do I adjust psychologically to having to do that all the time? For some reason I find it really burdensome.
  • jessbbaker
    jessbbaker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also, exercise: when I am running I break a continuous sweat. My strength training sessions, it depends. I am not exhausted after any of my workouts except runs over 10 miles.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know, start measuring and weighing everything you can and include all of those extra bites. I'd bet they add up to more than you think. As a side note, congrats on maintaining your initial loss.
  • shelbelle140
    Options
    Always sit down when you eat! That helps to think through what you're eating instead of "grazing". It helps me a to to avoid the "little" things that add up to big things!
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great job maintaining what you lost.

Maybe try measuring and tracking everything for a few weeks to see if what you have been eyeballing is off significantly.

How are you tracking the number of calories you burn? Using MFP's estimate or a HRM or guessing that? You might not be really burning what you think you are. I used to use MFPs guess and found out I was actually burning way less.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

What I am looking for is some direction on how to change what is apparently a new set point for my body. I would like to get my body fat % under 25, ideally 20% but I am not too worried about my weight if I'm there. I am totally open to changing up my workout routine after my race and I'm considering cross fit. HELP!

If this is actually true, ditch the scales and work on your strength training. Up the intensity and do it 3 times a week with a rest day inbetween.

Have a read of this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758160-reminder-the-scale-does-not-define-you

and then this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

..and stick to your calorie goal as close as you can. Even 20% under on a regular basis will not do you much good.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    OK, thanks for the tough love. When I said I met my caloric goal 75% of the time, I usually am under maybe 20% and over 5%.

Measuring: is it that helpful / important? How do I adjust psychologically to having to do that all the time? For some reason I find it really burdensome.

Measuring is VERY important. ULTRA important. Actually, the single most important thing.

Buy a food scale and measuring cups.
  • slammy1079
    Options
    You sound pretty athletic. Are you eating enough for your activity level?
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options

If it's burdensome, just try it for a couple weeks in this manner. Eyeball what you think is 4 ounces or whatever, and then weigh it to see how close you come. That will at least give you a good reference on how accurate you've been.
  • DanaDark
    Options
    I should note...

After a while of measuring, you eventually get a MUCH better feel for sizes when you eyeball it.
  • jdv1927
    Options
    Hi, this is a problem too. "I cheat samples at the store, tastes of my kids' food, etc"

When I started using myfitnesspal.com I was shocked at the "little" things that added up to a lot of calories. For instance, I never expected to spend 30 calories on 2 cherry Lifesavers! These little "cheats" are insidious and can really add up without realizing it.

Good luck!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 100% diet.

calories in < calories out = weight loss

Exercise does influence the calories out part of the equation but it's still 100% diet. However what you look like and what physical shape you'll be in when you lose the weight is determined by exercise.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options

If it's burdensome, just try it for a couple weeks in this manner. Eyeball what you think is 4 ounces or whatever, and then weigh it to see how close you come. That will at least give you a good reference on how accurate you've been.

I do this periodically to spot-check my estimates. It's gratifying to see that my eyeballing and estimating has been pretty accurate, but it could easily have had a different result!

If you're going to do this, it's helpful to always use the same vessel for the same food... for example, if I always use the same type of wine glass, I know how high to fill it for 4 ounces and how much higher for a 6 ounce pour. But if I decided to drink wine out of a water glass or a plastic cup, it would be much harder for me to estimate how much I'd poured.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I second all this great advice you've been given. Measure your food properly and up the intensity of your workouts.

No more food cheating with 'samples'! unless you're going to log it. I loge everything, including gum!

Make sure you get enough sleep also, 7-8 solid hours a night.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I should note...

After a while of measuring, you eventually get a MUCH better feel for sizes when you eyeball it.

So. Much. Truth.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Currently, you are in a maintenance phase. Your caloric intake overall balances your energy expenditure, overall. You need to either up exercise, decrease calories or do a combo of both to enter a weight loss phase.
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in measuring everything. That to me is not how I want to live. My food is to be enjoyed; it is not medicine where it has to be doled out in exact dosages. Having said that, in the beginning, for you, it may be helpful to measure so that you have an idea of how much you are eating. So for one week, measure and log more or less faithfully. I think that will give you an idea so that moving forward you will be able to "eyeball" it. Weight loss is not 100% diet; it is, however, calories in/calories out, plus your genetic predisposition, personal metabolism, body composition, and activity level. You should congratulate yourself that you have maintained; your exercise no doubt helped tremendously, and if nothing else, your heart certainly thanks you for taking care of it.

I agree with those who say to up your training intensity. So for example, you are running 10-10:30 min/mile right now. Tomorrow, after a 5 minute easy jog, do 2 minutes of 9-9:30 min/mile, or whatever it takes for you to be feeling that you're working at around 8.5/10 effort. Then recover with 2 minutes easy jog. Repeat 5 times. Then do a cool down jog.

If you are trying to lower body fat, then it does seem that fitting in some strength sessions is a good idea. I can recommend a program such as P90X - I'd give that a try. Good luck!
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when it came to measuring. I have a food weight now and I measure and weigh EVERYTHING. When I don't I find that I feel it is missing. You need to measure to be precise.