Need more vegetables...

Options
Yes I could look on the nets to find recipes for side dishes and what not, but I want see what you all have for a suggestion. Basically I need to add more vegetables in my diet. I am looking for something pretty simple yet delicious. How about lending me a few suggestions.

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You could try buying vegetables. And then eating them. That could be a way to eat more vegetables. Definitely go with the plant based vegetables if you have the option.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yea...nice simplicity buddy boy. I'm guessing you don't really cook or at least take pride in cooking.

Yes I know you can steam vegetables and all that jazz, but I am looking for something actually has flavor. Garlic sauteed green beans...something along those lines.
  • FiveElevenClimb
    Options
    I do a dish of asparagus. chop up some garlic and line the bottom of a corningware dish with it, place asparagus on top, put some more garlic on top along with some course ground pepper, a little olive oil, and whatever other seasonings you prefer. bake at 350 covered for about 20 minutes or until they soften up a bit. just amazing in my opinion.

edit: put a little water in as well or they dry out too much.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I microwave bags of frozen veggies and eat them with salt and pepper.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Here are some veggies I eat (and a couple recipes I want to try):

Tomato. Sliced, with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and a drizzling of balsamic vinegar. Excellent appetizer or snack.

Butternut squash soup. For every 1 squash, use 2 cups water, one chicken boillion cube, a garlic clove, and a 1/5 cup of Aldi's seasonal Sassy Apple Salsa (can subs apple sauce). Add in sage, a bay leaf, a dash of chipotle powder, and salt and pepper. Boil it all until tender. Remove the bay leaf, blend it with an immersion blender. Eat. If you don't mind the cals, add bread and/or cheese.

Asparagus. Buy some frozen asparagus. Shake it in a bowl or something (I use an olive oil mister) to distribute olive or sesame oil. Add on seasoning (I use Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave Chicken and Fish Seasoning, plenty of other things work), and bake at a high temperature for a while. 5 minutes before it is done sprinkle on some pine nuts.

Spinach. Look up "green smoothies." Also don't forget spinach and artichoke dip.

Broccoli. Cut broccoli into bite size pieces. Steam. Lightly add some soyaki and/or general tso's sauce for a veggie-filled Asian-esque meal.

Split peas. Too complicated to write here, but my mom has a killer recipe. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Calantorntain/view/my-mom-s-addictively-delicious-split-pea-soup-453471

Assorted: Chop up a bunch of veggies (onions, carrot, zucchini, whatever you want). Add to a brownie pan. Sprinkle on some seasonings. Put a chicken quarter or two on top. Sprinkle on some more seasonings, and spray on some olive oil. Bake until delicious.

And here's a couple recipes I want to try:

Eggplant Curry: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/805375-eggplant-curry

Spicy Carrot Lentil Soup: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/793559-spicy-carrot-and-lentil-soup
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I tried the green beans at the bottom of this article, they were excellent. I also love to just cook some chopped garlic in olive oil,then add spinach and a splash of white wine and cook until the spinach wilts.

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/pdfs/feature-veggiesmart.pdf
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    I love ground turkey stuffed bell peppers. Or I make crustless quiche using an entire bag of spinach. Also, If you need to quickly steam veggies, use the seasoning Spike or Accent. Adds some great low sodium flavor to the veggies. Snacking on bell peppers with hummus is also a good snack.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    -If you like pizza, you can make "french bread" pizzas but with zucchini as the base. You can also use cauliflower as pizza "dough" and top it with sauce, cheese, veggies. It tastes better than dough, in my opinion.

-Parmesan roasted cauliflower (delicious)

-Spinach, quinoa, veggie, bean burgers

-Pumpkin or butternut squash soup

-Carrot, zucchini, avocado, or sweet potato fries baked in the oven

And if you count eggplant as a vegetable (I do.... though I think it's technically a fruit)

-Stir fry with eggplant

-Crispy baked eggplant
  • nearptr
    Options

-Pumpkin or butternut squash soup

-Carrot, zucchini, avocado, or sweet potato fries baked in the oven

And if you count eggplant as a vegetable (I do.... though I think it's technically a fruit)

Pumpkin, butternut squash, zucchini [squash], avocado, eggplant -- all fruits lol; doesn't preclude their being vegetables...
  • Katytee
    Katytee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was never into vegetables whatsoever, so have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to incorporate them in my diet.

I first started out by taking one bite of veggies at the same time as whatever meat or side dish I was eating at the same time- potatoes, or rice, whatever. I slowly acquired the taste of them.

What I usually do now is find something that tastes great whether or not I have a bunch of veggies on it. Specifically, something like a steak or chicken wrap, or stir fry, you can load as many veggies in it as you can and I've found I don't mind it at all.

Oh, and bellpeppers are my savior. When you throw them in a pan on the stovetop with a tiny bit of olive oil and grill them a tiny bit, they add such amazing dramatic flavor to anything you make. Adding them in a mixed group of veggies on anything I make, makes the whole thing quite tolerable.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any vegetable chopped up, tossed with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted is delicious.

Some favs of mine:

Sweet potatoes
    carrots
    brussel sprouts
    asparagus
    green beans
    acorn squash (skin on)
    a mix of summer squash, tomatoes, peppers and garlic.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    Yes I could look on the nets to find recipes for side dishes and what not, but I want see what you all have for a suggestion. Basically I need to add more vegetables in my diet. I am looking for something pretty simple yet delicious. How about lending me a few suggestions.

I love love love roasting brusell sprouts and green beans. It's super simple and delicious. I used to hate brusell sprouts with a passion until I tried this. Just cut them in half, cut up some garlic, toss them in a bit of olive oil throw them in the oven at 400 degrees, cook for 15-20 into nice and brown. Same with green beans. Delicious. You could also try sauting kale in oil and garlic, quick, easy and tasty. Add a little red pepper flakes for a little more kick.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Raw, cold, sugar snap peas. They're very sweet, crunchy and good for you. Like little crunchy veggie candy sticks.
    About 50 calories a CUP and they are very filling.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Red onion, yellow or orange pepper, mushrooms and broccoli florets stir fried in a little red palm oil and garlic until they are still a crunchy but turning sweet. Top with grated parmesan cheese and sliced almonds, or a mix of half fat cheddar and full fat Greek yoghurt then grill (?broil, heat from above anyway) to melt the cheese sauce. The 'sauce' will split if you use the wrong yoghurt or cheese, but still tastes good - you can use full fat cheese but not low fat yoghurt IIRC.
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love tossing veggies with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic and roasting them in the oven.

My favorites to eat that way have been:
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Sweet potatoes
    Carrots
    Asparagus
    Jicama

Add in a little balsamic at the end and maybe some parmesan or any other herbs you fancy. It's delicious!!!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Stir fries are absolutely amazing an incredibly simple. You can throw pretty much anything in them. One of my favorites includes red, green, and orange bell peppers, onion, broccoli florets, egg, brown rice, chicken, and some soy sauce.

You can saute asparagus in a little olive oil and just sprinkle on some salt and pepper or some other seasoning.

if you have a rice cooker, most come with a steamer that you can use to steam your vegetables.

Baby carrots are an easy snack that you can take anywhere.

Slice up some cucumber and onion, then add to a mix of about 3/4 cup water 1/4 cup vinegar, some salt and pepper, and about 1-2 tbsp of sugar.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is roasted cauliflower - cut up head into florets put in 9x13 drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix in 3-4 cloves minced garlic, bake uncovered 450 for 25-30 minutes. Sometimes I add just a little grated parmesan just before I take it out. My other go to is sliced zucchini with onions and mushrooms add a can of diced tomatoes and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, bake until tender crisp and heated through.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I do a dish of asparagus. chop up some garlic and line the bottom of a corningware dish with it, place asparagus on top, put some more garlic on top along with some course ground pepper, a little olive oil, and whatever other seasonings you prefer. bake at 350 covered for about 20 minutes or until they soften up a bit. just amazing in my opinion.

edit: put a little water in as well or they dry out too much.

I've been scared to try asparagus (i have an issue with trying things lol)
    but this sounds AMAZING!!
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    You could try buying vegetables. And then eating them. That could be a way to eat more vegetables. Definitely go with the plant based vegetables if you have the option.

This^^ I've been eating cherry tomatoes and mini sweet bell peppers as snacks. You need to mix up the VARIETY of veggies you eat: green beans, corn, peas....BORING. And your body needs a variety to get all the nutrients it needs.
  • eltidd
    Options
    I get more vegetables by having broccoli, carrots, and other ones around that I can dip in hummus. This adds additional protein to your diet as well. When eating a sandwich, put spinach on it which adds texture and flavor, its also a super food. Speaking of super foods, add kale to soups along with other veggies. Soups are a great fall and winter staple. Hope this helps :smile: