Can't Seem to Lose Weight on MFP or WW

Options
Ok so here is my dilemma. I am 5'6 and weigh 144 pounds. I started to run, and then from there I started to do Crossfit. I followed W.W. and was within my points range. No weigh budge. I did not want to pay, so I went over to MFP. I have 1200 calories a day, plus add more when I do Crossfit. It's such a high intensity exerciese, I did not know what to do but count it as circuit training. So on average this adds about 300 calories. I'm not really sure how accurate that is. I would like to think my 6 pound gain over the course of a year is muscle, but then in that case, my pants would be looser. I'm really at a point I don't know what to do. I would ideally like to weigh 130 pounds. I do Crossfit at least three or four days a week, I take a dance class. If I don't go to Crossfit, I try to at least do something active 5 days a week. Anyone else have this issue??

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This seems odd but consider upping your calories...determine your TDEE and reduce your calories by 25% to lose weight....upping my calories helped me get out of a plateau and have enough calories tl have the energy to workout 3 days a week...

PS I'm 5'4" and 139...want to get to 135ish. I'm already a size 6, maybe get to a size 4. I've lost 18 pounds so far and went from a size 10 to 6 in 3 or so months.
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Look for somewhere in your area that you can get your RMR measured. I had the same problem, so I had mine done and found that my metabolism was extremely low. Average for my age should have been 1490 and it was actually 1022.

I still lose weight extremely slowly, but now I know why and I also know that I can't slack off even just a little! I have upped my activity level and added strength training.

Knowledge is power.

Short of getting tested, you'll have to seriously try messing with your calories. Up them to 1500-1800 a day for no less than 2 weeks. See if that helps or hurts. That will help you figure it out, too.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss goals seem too ambitious.

At 144 pounds and 5'8" and 32 years old, you should have roughly a BMR of 1450 and a TDEE of 1750 with NO exercise at all.

Given you are close to any goal weight (144 is close to anything in a healthy range), you should be doing HALF a pound a week weight loss.

So, you should have a 250 calorie deficit. 1750 - 250 = 1500 calories a day without exercise. Any exercise you do, you should eat back at least half the calories.

Basically, you are not fueling your body properly.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    144 sounds like a perfectly good weight for your height. Is there a particular reason you want to be 130? Perhaps you need to focus more on losing body fat and fitness goals instead of weight.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    With so little left to lose you should be eating more than 1200 calories a day. THe less you have to lose the lower of a deficit you should have. Set MFP to lose 0.5lbs per week and go from there.

Also, make sure you are weighing and measuring all the food and drinks you consume. YOu need to be accurate with your calorie counting to make real progress. Don't forget to add things like cream and sugar in coffee/tea, mayo on sandwiches, oils used in cooking, etc. Little things add up and with so little left to lose there isn't a lot of margin for error. Also ensure you are keeping sodium low and water intake high. Don't weigh after a hard workout or when your muscles are sore.

By looking at your diary, try to increase fruits and veggies and lower the processed foods you eat. Processed foods are filled with added sodium.

You are already within a healthy weight range so it is going to be tough to lose the last few you are looking for.
  • sambucaro
    sambucaro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow this is some great advice. I'm going to try all of your recommendations and see what happens. As for the weight loss, yes, I'm wihin range, but one of my bucket list items is to wear a catwoman outfit for Halloween....right now I look more like a cat hairball. It's a personal goal of looking my possible best...I do need to cut back on the processed foods for sure. But maybe you all are right. I will report back when I find the recipe that works.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is my dilemma. I am 5'6 and weigh 144 pounds. I started to run, and then from there I started to do Crossfit. I followed W.W. and was within my points range. No weigh budge. I did not want to pay, so I went over to MFP. I have 1200 calories a day, plus add more when I do Crossfit. It's such a high intensity exerciese, I did not know what to do but count it as circuit training. So on average this adds about 300 calories. I'm not really sure how accurate that is. I would like to think my 6 pound gain over the course of a year is muscle, but then in that case, my pants would be looser. I'm really at a point I don't know what to do. I would ideally like to weigh 130 pounds. I do Crossfit at least three or four days a week, I take a dance class. If I don't go to Crossfit, I try to at least do something active 5 days a week. Anyone else have this issue??

I definitely think you need to up your calories. 1200 a day is below your BMR (basal metabolic rate). If you consistently eat below your BMR your metabolism slows down to accommodate the shortfall in calories. Result - plateau! Also 144 is a very healthy weight at your height. Try not to focus on a arbitrary number on the scale - (who determined that number to be perfect for you??!!!) Shift your focus to body composition to make those changes you want to see. This involves upping calories, making sure you get enough protein (between 80-100 grams) and lifting weights, AND cutting back on cardio. It's scary but it honestly works! Crossfit is a totally kick *kitten* work out but it's super cardio orientated. Cut out a few days of cardio and lift weights that challenge you (if you can do more than 12 reps the weight is too light). Also it you haven't already I would suggest reading the book 'new rules of lifting for women'. Very informative!!

On a side note - we are neighbors. I'm in Chicago Ridge!! Always great to find a South Sider on here :flowerforyou:
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% diet, what food are you eating?

Yes you are working out a lot, but you need to be making sure you are putting healthy food into it and you should easily be losing weight.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest getting a HRM for during crossfit, you may be burning way more calories than you think, thus making your calorie intake lower, thus not fueling your body properly .
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm afraid I'm exactly the same- I came to this following a long period at slimming world when I lost no weight and got really fed up with it all. I'm afraid that I have no answers for you so do hope that others may have some suggestions for you. My only words of wisdom would be to just keep going.....Better to keep trying and maintaining than to give up and gain. Good luck xxx
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest getting a HRM for during crossfit, you may be burning way more calories than you think, thus making your calorie intake lower, thus not fueling your body properly .

^^^Yes this too!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I did CF for 2 years and you burn quite a lot when there is a good (long) workout. I'd say 300-400 is a good estimate, maybe on the WODs that you run a lot add another 100. I will say I gained weight doing CF, but a good portion of that (3-4 pounds) was muscle, because I had my body fat tested pretty much every month. Don't expect to lose a lot of weight doing CF, when I stopped I immediately lost weight but I believe (pretty sure) most of it was water since I was taking a break from lifting all together. You tend to hold on to water doing heavy lifting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I definitely think you need to up your calories. 1200 a day is below your BMR (basal metabolic rate). If you consistently eat below your BMR your metabolism slows down to accommodate the shortfall in calories. Result - plateau! Also 144 is a very healthy weight at your height. Try not to focus on a arbitrary number on the scale - (who determined that number to be perfect for you??!!!) Shift your focus to body composition to make those changes you want to see. This involves upping calories, making sure you get enough protein (between 80-100 grams) and lifting weights, AND cutting back on cardio. It's scary but it honestly works! Crossfit is a totally kick *kitten* work out but it's super cardio orientated. Cut out a few days of cardio and lift weights that challenge you (if you can do more than 12 reps the weight is too light). Also it you haven't already I would suggest reading the book 'new rules of lifting for women'. Very informative!!

On a side note - we are neighbors. I'm in Chicago Ridge!! Always great to find a South Sider on here :flowerforyou:

This! It sounds to me like your body is in starvation mode and holding on to calories. Also, when you're over weight, a calorie is a calorie...when you're already at a very healthy weight, it becomes very difficult to drop pounds because your body doesn't want to... it becomes that much more important to look at where the calories are coming from at this point. At this point, I'd really focus on more body sculpting and a bit less cardio...you may not actually lose the weight but you'll be replacing fat with muscle. Protein, protein, protein for body sculpting. Carb reduction...and what carbs you do get, take from whole grains, fruits and veg. I haven't looked at your diary, but if you're eating a lot of processed foods and whatnot, you're probably getting way too much sodium which will cause you to retain water among other things.
  • sambucaro
    sambucaro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Looks like my calories should be at 1700 when I subtract my TDEE.....plus I need to probably cut back on processed items and add more clean foods. This sounds like a plan. Such a great community of people. Thank you!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Looks like my calories should be at 1700 when I subtract my TDEE.....plus I need to probably cut back on processed items and add more clean foods. This sounds like a plan. Such a great community of people. Thank you!
    This is exactly what I was going to tell you, but there were so many posts already. 1700 should be a good number for you at your exercise level. Eat that daily for a month then re-evaluate and adjust if needed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Basically your intake isn't enough to support the amount of calories you're burning to lose. Check your TDEE and subtract about 20% from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you were following weight watchers at one point, how many points were you eating and where did you get that number? If you follow your points correctly, you should lose weight. I'm wondering if you weren't eating the correct amount of points.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium. Eat more lean protein, and less carbs. You eat alot of Trader Joes. Start cooking for yourself.