For the ladies...an unexpected benefit from exercise...

karen366
karen366 Posts: 141
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have noticed the last 2 months since I started exercising that TOM isn't as bad. Before, I would literally have flu like symptoms a couple of days before: body aches, low grade fever, moodiness, fatigue, and general feeling of not feeling well...however, I do not have any of these symptoms any longer. That alone is inspiration for me to keep exercising. Anyone notice a difference in this area since starting their exercise program?

Replies

• aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    I really noticed it this month. I generally had mild symptoms but this month absolutely nothing. I think for me it was a major reduction in sodium and processed foods.
  • indiankel
    indiankel Posts: 163 Member
    How interesting that you posted this! I just had my TOM and I have to say that this month was easy and light! Definite reason to keep up with the exercise!
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    I have too. Mine isn't nearly as bad. I'm liking it. It's not as bad either since I've cut out red meat and dropped some weight. There have been times where I haven't been as active but TOM still isn't as bad. It's a great feeling knowing that we can kinda control our TOM symptoms naturally.
  • karen366
    karen366 Posts: 141
    I really noticed it this month. I generally had mild symptoms but this month absolutely nothing. I think for me it was a major reduction in sodium and processed foods.
    Good point..I started eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. i have also cut out all sodas and cut my sodium/processed food intake..that very well could be a cause as well..no matter what the cause, it's a welcome benefit.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Totally, it actually has a lot to do with your hormonal changes. Fat and estrogen are buddies (go figure) and testosterone keeps all the symptoms in check. Female athletes skip periods. And obese pregnant women can continue to have their period. It's a plus to hit the gym for me. Myself being both obese and healthy BMI at different points in my life (currently overweight), I absolutely have felt the difference.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Good point..I started eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. i have also cut out all sodas and cut my sodium/processed food intake..that very well could be a cause as well..no matter what the cause, it's a welcome benefit.

Amen sistas!
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Mine is way lighter and less crampy but I am definately crankier and more emotional. I was never like that before lol
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Definitely much less cramping. Mine tend to be light anyway, but this month virtually nothing and absolutely no cramping. It just so happens I bumped up the intensity of my workouts about a month ago. I attribute it to the exercise, since I weigh only about 2 pounds less than I did a month ago. :frown:
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Mine has actually become regular. I used to get a period every once in a while but now they are like clock work. certainly makes life easier.
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    Definitely true, mine used to be REALLY heavy for a strait 6 days... ugh. Now it is super light and only last for about 4 days - I think it has been a great benefit of exercise!!!
  • kiwiraz
    kiwiraz Posts: 34
    Now that you mention it, I don't think I've had a period since I started my health kick. And no, I'm not pregnant.
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    I have PCOS. Polycystic Overran Syndrome. I had to be on the pill to get a regular period. My doctor said the only thing that can improve my chances of getting regular and one day getting pregnant would be to drop the weight and exercise regularly. I have lost 20lbs by eating right and working out 2-5 times a week. I have had a regular period for 4 months and it is not horrible. I don't even get cramps anymore. I used to cry and think I was dying and now things are great! I love this benefit if nothing else comes out of it.!
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Now that you mention it, I don't think I've had a period since I started my health kick. And no, I'm not pregnant.

That is normal. Give yourself some time. I started in June with my heath kick and November is when I started to get regular.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    you gals are lucky, mine are no longer regular but when/if I do get my TOM i'm in ridiculous pain! I think overload onthe exercise is my culprit, or maybe i'm premenopausal?:noway:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    I used to have debilitating cramps when not on hormonal BC. Now they are not gone, but at least manageable. I can pop some ibuprofen and be on my way, instead of curling into a crying ball.
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Ok, call me silly......but I scanned through this and I kept thinking "who the heck is this Tom or Thomas guy that everybody keeps referring to?" Bahaha! I guess I have just never seen the acronymn for time of the month, but it makes sense. I can't contribute to this thread as I off that market in the meantime, but that's great for those of you that are having reduced symptoms!

Moment of truth: I happened about this thread because I assumed it was going to be about bohm chicka wow wow....not TOM. Hehe. My bad. Again, good luck to all and keep up the stellar MFP and weight loss commitment!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Yeah, I noticed this month too. I'm not as heavy this time, which I loove. <-- Pun intended :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.