Looking for the Heavy drinkers that have become quitters

Options
Cause I seriously cannot do this by myself. it's the one obstacle in my weight loss journey that ruins me weekly.

Replies

• Focusing_on_Liz
    Options
    I was a heavy drinker before my weightloss journey on here. I used to go through a bottle of grey goose every other night. Work was killing me and I drowned it with vodka. I slowly stopped drinking altogether and I might get a drink once or twice a month now. I am here for you love
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. We can help support each other if you would like.
  • GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy drinker before my weightloss journey on here. I used to go through a bottle of grey goose every other night. Work was killing me and I drowned it with vodka. I slowly stopped drinking altogether and I might get a drink once or twice a month now. I am here for you love
    I drank vodka nightly til I couldn't even do it anymore. The cheap kind. I've moved on to wine. not nightly...but enough.enough that it effects everything about me. I know it...yet I do it.
  • quitter1973
    quitter1973 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Please ask me. I'm doing it right now. Lost about 9 pounds.
  • GluttonousGirl
    Options
    Thanks. perfect name. :)
  • tab1221
    tab1221 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Every Monday I say I'm not drinking anymore and every Friday (sometimes Thursday) I go buy more vodka or wine. Husband drinks beer so it's hard to not drink when he is. I know what I eat is not contributing to my weight gain, muffin top, losing the same five pounds over and over again. It is the drinking. Add me and we can do this!!
  • GluttonousGirl
    Options
    me too. It seems the only promises I ever break are to myself. I told myself I'd be good this week. excercise twice a day.no drinks! and I already broke that promise last night. so today..I suffer. The hangovers make me want to eat,make me feel horrible,and make me treat others bad. I know all of this before that first sip. I know...and in that moment I don't care. I drink to feel...I drink to not feel. I drink because I can't stand sitting here at night. I won't go to AA because I'm not really A religious person and I don't believe in putting my faith in the hands of someone else. We should be accountable for ourselves and our actions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly haven't quit, but I'm not partying like I used to either. In my previous life, I could easily put away a 6 pack of beer every night and throw a few shots of bourbon on top of that. Now, I limit myself to 2-3 glasses or red wine in the evening...during the course of the week, I might have 3 beers total (try not to, but I love myself a good IPA). I still like to party a bit on the weekends (Friday and Saturday), but I keep it to a low roar with vodka and diet tonic...maybe 4 drinks, 5-6 if there's something special going on. Sunday is my "dry" day unless it's a holiday or something.

For me, it's all baby steps and I've come quite a ways, especially with all of the other life changes in progress. One of these weeks, I'm going to take the plunge and go dry Sunday through Thursday...I keep telling myself that "this is the week"...and then I get home from a long day at the office on Monday night and that glass of red wine just calls my name :blushing:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I quit. I started a board here for it called "Staying Sober". http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7328-staying-sober

I would like it to be more active. But, I don't know what to write about. LOL. I think it needs more members.
  • GluttonousGirl
    Options
    I'll go check that out. thanks :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Add me add me! I literally finished a 30 pack a night, and not to mention blowing at least half my checks on bar drinks. I'll help :)

Now I cant remembe the last time I drank anything.

:drinker:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back as well. I can do fine during the week, not drink at all sometimes, but on the weekends I get pretty crazy...college mindset taking a while to wear off! Also, I smoke more when I drink, and I really want to quit smoking for good.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm proud of it...but I drink 2-3 nights a week. And on days when I do, it's a lot! Just workout more on days when you drink and you'll be fine.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    One way to start is to limit it to only weekends, that's Fri and Sat only. Sun through Thurs is out. no alcohol. I was partially successful with that. But, when I went cold turkey was the best. Be prepared for all you heavy drinking friends to dis-own you.
  • GluttonousGirl
    Options
    Yeah I kind of am the heavy drinking friend. I really did do well for a while. Some wine on a Friday or Saturday. And I'm not as bad as I used to be. But I never say no to an offer.