Hi I'm new and need support

Options
Hi Everyone -

I am new to this site, it was suggested by a friend of mine. I am a 24 year old girl who has stuggled with my weight for the past few years due to heart problems. It is hard for me to excerise because I am not suppose to get my heart rate above a certain level, so it is even harder for me to lose weight which in turn makes me depressed. As you can imagine it is just dangerous for me to be too overweight, I have put off serious dieting too long, and now it's time I do something about it, but most importantly - stick to it! So that's why I'm here...I know I'm going to need help with this because it's about to the point my life is dependant on me losing this weight!

Thanks everyone! I look forward to getting to know you!

Replies

• stephieloo
    Options
    WELCOME!! If you ever need someone to talk to for support you can count on me!!
  • rjacs188
    rjacs188 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Christy! Welcome. I started 2 weeks ago and this is a very nice site. =D Lots of help, info and support.
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Welcome! I love this place! I've only been here about a month now and I've learned a lot! Good luck to you~
  • seesylrun
    seesylrun Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Christy,

I just joined the site as well because I have to get with the program. I was just diagnosed with Type II diabetes and really need to get a move on for my health. I have to be pretty careful too with my weight loss program because my blood sugar could drop too low if I exercise without having the right foods in my body. It could also skyrocket if I don't eat the best foods for me. Both instances can be life threatening. I can sympathize with you!!

What it comes down to, as you said, is that you HAVE to do this (I do too). Start out slow and you WILL figure it out along the way. Just set some small goals to begin with and go from there. Can you do a walking program? Do you have a heart monitor for your workouts?

I'm no expert and I'm certainly not at my goals but I'm here if you need a boost! :flowerforyou:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Dieting on a whole is hard, even when you excercise, so it will be harder when you are not able to excercise...What I would recommend, is walking at a slow pace for maybe 30 minutes a day, nothing too vigorous, and also do weight training, again nothing too figorous, weights build muscles thus burning fat easier..I would cut out starch at dinner time and try to avoid eating too late. I personally stop eating pass 7pm, but thats because my schedule permits it, we each live different lives, so if you are a 9-5 person, then I would stop eating pass 7pm.

Eat lots of fruits and veggies, and try and eat every 3-4 hours, so your metabolism keeps working. Have a nice breakfast, cereal ( I personally stick to cheerios, plain), oats, whole bread healthy stuff of that nature, then you can have a fruit for your mid morning snack, they you can put your starch in your lunch, and then another fruit midafternoon and then steam veggies for dinner.

The important thing is portion control. Try and get in the habit of measuring or weighing what you eat and logging daily. Be honest with what you log, whether you cheat or not.

I know it can get depressing dieting and not seeing the scale move down. I only have 20lbs to loose, and I struggle with it daily and get discouraged sometimes, but just keep pushing forward. I know a person that lost over 30lbs in a course of a few months and she didnt work out once, she just cut her portions and stopped eating pass 7pm.

You can do it, I am sorry you have health conditions making it harder for you, but take it one day at a time and you will get through it.

Keep it going strong
  • MissPati
    MissPati Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I am new to this site too. I found this through family members. I struggle with weight and health issues which makes losing very hard for me. I tried the other site but like this one the best. I've been here since Feb 17th.

It is very helpful. I also keep a written journal at my kitchen table in case I can't get online before I forget what I ate. You might want to do that too.

I really like the "complete this entry" that tells you how much weight you can lose if you eat like this for 5 weeks.

Be sure and get an energy drink. I use Body Fortress but there are many out there. I am on 1200 calorie daily diet. If I can do this, anyone can.

Good luck and if you would like, add me to your friends list. I have a few very supportive friends I have found on here and they are very helpful to me. thank you friends

take care
    Pati in Oklahoma
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    First of all, WELCOME and GOOD LUCK!

I started this journey in January because I will be getting married in October and I just plain wanted to get healthy. Once you have the mind set that "IT'S TIME" everything else just pretty much falls into place. You have to want to change your eating habits or this will not work for you. I have stopped "most" of the junk. There are times I slip up and just eat the damn candy bar. But then I exercise the "slip" off. In your case that is not something you can do. Try something small like beginner pilates. It doesnt' get the heart rate up like a treadmill or eliptical. It is a way to keep you moving. Good luck to you, and we are here to help. Don't be afraid to ask. :wink:
  • cgreen24
    cgreen24 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind words and for your warm welcome. I really think this site is going to help me a lot. I haven't really been on here that much to learn of all the different things you can do, but that is my plan for this weekend. Although I feel my head spinning already I can't wait to start losing weight. I started my diet Monday and so far haven't slipped once :)

The weather was nice here today so I went for a 30 minute walk, and I did ok with that. My heart rate was fine. In answer to one of the quesitons...no I no longer have a heart monitor. I used to have to wear one and I must say I'm glad I don't have to anymore. I am going to have to get something though to monitor it since I will be starting to exercise.

If any of you would like to add me as a friend please feel free to do so, I know some of you already have, but like I said before I haven't figured out the site yet. :)

I look forward to talking soon and watching everyone's progress!

Thanks again you guys!
  • flowerpwr63
    Options
    Hi, I'm new too. I just joined tonight. I'll be here when you need someone. Anytime.
    I did post something a few minutes ago, but I think I did something wrong. I'm not use to "posting". Sorry everyone. But I'll figure it out.
    Together, we'll all figure it out. I still need to take the time and look around the website very carefully. I'll try to do that tomorrow night.
    My goals are to be at my "dream" weight and get health. I want to be around for my daughter.
    I work fulltime in a grocery store. Where snacks are within reach all day long. And there are times, when I do reach for them. Especially when I'm stressed and that can start the moment I walk in the door. (just like here at home)
    If anyone has any helpful hints, I will listen with open ears.
    Thanks for any info & support in advance.
    If you need someone to talk too, I"m here. Just holler