78 and weight not budging!!!!!!!

Options
PLEASE..can anyone come up with some idea of how I can get my fat to start shifting?!!

I AM DISABLED AND THEREFORE NOT ABLE TO EXERCISE!

I have tried 1200 cals, 1000 cals, then went down to 800 cals for a few weeks..Weight Watchers, Low carbs... nothing seems to work.
I was 16st 2lb in April 2010 and lost 30lb that year to Xmas when I had a bit of a break and put on a few pounds to boot! Started again in January 2011 I haven't been able to lose hardly anything. If I manage to lose a pound or two it will then go back on the following week no matter how hard I try.
I am on quite a few medications..which no doubt have some affect but surely there must be some way of losing some more weight....
Any ideas?

Replies

• MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hmm...if you can't exercise, I would certainly speak to your doctor about what you could do. You don't want to malnourish yourself! Are you trying to lose or just maintain?
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Trying to LOSE!!
    I am 4'11" and weigh 14st 9lb which is far too heavy.
    I saw a nutritionist at the hospital who told me not to bother to lose any more!! Can you believe that?!
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Eesh...I don't really have any advice. That stinks a nutrtitionist would be so unhelpful, but good for you for pursuing it anyway
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cutting out salt can help you drop water weight. Morton's makes a salt substitute that you can use at home. I make yummy soups from scratch with lots of veggies and lean protein and use the salt substitute with lots of herbs and spices. When I first did that I lost 10 lbs in a week. I also drank a LOT of water to flush all the salt out during that week. Probably 10-15 cups (You may have to pee every hour or more!) I'm 5'2, so I know how just a couple pounds can feel like a ton on a small frame. I'm striving for a healthy BMI, around 120-130lbs. Fiber is also very important. Make sure to eat lots of fruit and veg, and take fiber supplements as well if you feel you need more. I like the clear mixable kind in tea or a breakfast shake. You also do not want to under eat, your body wil lock down like it's starving and refuse to lose weight.
  • amyllu
    Options
    Cutting out salt can help you drop water weight. Morton's makes a salt substitute that you can use at home. I make yummy soups from scratch with lots of veggies and lean protein and use the salt substitute with lots of herbs and spices. When I first did that I lost 10 lbs in a week. I also drank a LOT of water to flush all the salt out during that week. Probably 10-15 cups (You may have to pee every hour or more!) I'm 5'2, so I know how just a couple pounds can feel like a ton on a small frame. I'm striving for a healthy BMI, around 120-130lbs. Fiber is also very important. Make sure to eat lots of fruit and veg, and take fiber supplements as well if you feel you need more. I like the clear mixable kind in tea or a breakfast shake. You also do not want to under eat, your body wil lock down like it's starving and refuse to lose weight.

Thanks for that but I have been on salt free for many years due to high blood pressure. I also eat plenty of fruit and veg and I do my own cooking.
    I am aware of the effects of under eating but sometimes drastic measures have to be taken altho' in my case that didn't work either!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Time to seek a second opinion from a nutritionist. Is there anyone that can reccomend a good one in your area for you? Maybe your Doctor could point you in the right direction. Is there ANY exercise you can do at all? Very frustrating situation for you to be in. Best of luck
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Find out your TDEE and eat 15% below it. Eating too little won't get you anywhere at least not in a healthy way. Also you don't have to exercise to lose weight but it's best if you can find something that gets you moving in some way no matter how small for other health reasons.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    1200-1400 daily.
  • amyllu
    Options
    1200-1400 daily.

At 1400 I would put weight ON!!

As for ANY sort of exercise..absolutley not. I found a sitting exercise routine on YouTube for OAPs and was determined to follow it at a shortened version but after the second day I was stuck in bed in agony as it was too much for my back and my painful arms.

I am seriously considering badgering my doc for a gastric band op in the new year.
  • donkeypoop
    donkeypoop Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try to cut down on processed foods, processed sauces and processed dressings. Try to eat natural, I've noticed in ur food diary that you eat heinz, cookies and a few other things that I think you can replace with fruits.

I have also noticed in ur food diary that you are eating cakes and bread, those things won't help with weightloss either.

My advice is go through your diary and see what you can replace with something that is more natural.

And drink LOTS of water, 6-8 cups minimum so your metabolism will start to increase again. :) U can do it!
  • amyllu
    Options
    Try to cut down on processed foods, processed sauces and processed dressings. Try to eat natural, I've noticed in ur food diary that you eat heinz, cookies and a few other things that I think you can replace with fruits.

I have also noticed in ur food diary that you are eating cakes and bread, those things won't help with weightloss either.

My advice is go through your diary and see what you can replace with something that is more natural.

And drink LOTS of water, 6-8 cups minimum so your metabolism will start to increase again. :) U can do it!

Yes, I have been a bit lax in my eating just recently but as I said I have been very astute in the past without getting any results. At the mo' am just biding my time until my cruise is over and done which is from 12th Dec to the 27th.
    When I was on 1000 and an 800 calorie diet there wasn't any room for eating anything frivolous.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    1200-1400 daily.

As for ANY sort of exercise..absolutley not. I found a sitting exercise routine on YouTube for OAPs and was determined to follow it at a shortened version but after the second day I was stuck in bed in agony as it was too much for my back and my painful arms.

I am seriously considering badgering my doc for a gastric band op in the new year.

Please try Dans 1200-1400 for a month or so then go get the band if you have to. Many many people found if they ate a few hundred calories more they lose. If you have eaten at 1400 before how long did you try it? It can take a while for your body to adjust if you've been starving it on as little as 800. Surgery won't be pleasant because you'll have to eat so little forever and that is no fun so give it a try!
  • bmonagle
    bmonagle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Check out message board for "Full Diet Break"
  • amyllu
    Options
    1200-1400 daily.

Please try Dans 1200-1400 for a month or so then go get the band if you have to. Many many people found if they ate a few hundred calories more they lose. If you have eaten at 1400 before how long did you try it? It can take a while for your body to adjust if you've been starving it on as little as 800. Surgery won't be pleasant because you'll have to eat so little forever and that is no fun so give it a try!

I tried the 800 cals sometime back ..early this year with my docs approval.
    As for 1400..I have been on diets for many years..and years and years!! 1200 is a maintaining mark for me and at my age, believe me, I know how many cals I can eat without gaining any more weight and 1200 is it!...but thanks anyway for your input. I will check Dans 1200-1400 as well.

(Actually I couldn't find it!)
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I would try and find a trainer that has experience with your situation. I was stuck in a wheel chair for several months unable to walk, but figured out some things I could do for upper body. Since then I talked to a a trainer who said he could have developed more ways to exercise for me.
  • amyllu
    Options
    1200-1400 daily.

Please note Bob -

It is this sort of comment that really makes me mad! I have already stated that I CANNOT exercise and the affect it has on me if I do try!!!!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Since your situation is rather unique, I really think your best bet it talking to another doctor (or a new nutritionist, yeesh, because that first one seemed completely unhelpful). Depending how long you've been in this situation, it could be that you have an unusually low BMR (so 1200-ish calories could be right or wrong, but who knows). Or it could be that you have some sort of food intolerance or other medical issue that's holding you back.

Not to be a downer, but I think you need help from pros, not from forum commenters. You've obviously tried all the easy/obvious ways of doing this - really unfortunate that it's not working. Best of luck to you!
  • amyllu
    Options
    Since your situation is rather unique, I really think your best bet it talking to another doctor (or a new nutritionist, yeesh, because that first one seemed completely unhelpful). Depending how long you've been in this situation, it could be that you have an unusually low BMR (so 1200-ish calories could be right or wrong, but who knows). Or it could be that you have some sort of food intolerance or other medical issue that's holding you back.

Not to be a downer, but I think you need help from pros, not from forum commenters. You've obviously tried all the easy/obvious ways of doing this - really unfortunate that it's not working. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for that... think you are very right. As I have already said .. come the new year I shall be taking steps to do just that.