Question about 30DS and Ripped in 30

Options
I have both 30DS and Ripped in 30, but am a little hesitant to start using them. Everything I have read about strength training says to take a day off in between, but Jillian says to do it every day in these videos. Does anyone know her reason for telling us to do the videos everyday instead of every other day? Thanks!!

Replies

• risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    She's tells you to do it everyday cause her DVDs promise a certain set of results. I think it's really just to back the whole sales pitch of the videos. Do it as much as you can but listen to your body. I think everyone should take a rest day.

Don't get me wrong I like her DVDs and have a couple of them. But I don't do them everyday.

Don't be hesitant, dive into it. It's not as bad as it seems after day 1.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    With those DVDs, you're not lifting heavy (most people use 3-8 pound weights), so it's not so bad to do it everyday. Of course, if you're not used to doing even that, you'll be sore at first. If you don't feel comfortable, go at your own pace. The workout police aren't going to come after you for not doing it everyday.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It is best to give the body rest so it can recover. I think since it is only 20 minutes a day is how they justify it for everyday. They are tough videos for sure. I always took a day off. I never actually completed the video either because I got bored working out at home. I just took the exercises to the gym.

Listen to your body. If you feel exhausted, skip a day. Won't hurt.
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I did both and did them everyday.
    Some choose to take a day off in between workout weeks.
    Just try and see what is best for you. Even if you take a day or 2 off, you will get great results!
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you want serious results, do them six days a week with only one day off. They are so short this is absolutely critical, especially if this is the only exercise you are doing. I did these 6 days a week for months and had very positive results.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    It's only a 25 min DVD/ Work out... so doing it everyday isn't a bad thing. She wants you to push yourself to get max results in a short time.

With that said, if you can't do it everyday, then listen to your own body. If you feel you need a break or rest day ... take it.

She wont pop through the screen and yell in your face :tongue:
  • kmakar
    kmakar Posts: 103
    Options
    Don't be hesitant about starting, just dive in and listen to your body. I started out with 2-3 days in a row, then a day off, then another 2-3 days. I never seem to do more than 6 days in a row. One rest day a week helped my muscles recover and allowed me to push a little harder in the next workout. start now!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I did them 5 days a week, did cardio one other day and had one day off. Apparently, on Jillian's blog, she's stated that the 30 day part was a marketing decision and not how she recommends doing it. I believe what I've read is that she does recommend doing it 5-6 days per week, with at least one rest day per week.

Also, I would recommend doing 30 Day Shred first, then following up with Ripped in 30. You will have days toward the beginning of each level (usually started late in the day on day 2 and lasted into day 4 for me) where your muscles will be incredibly sore. I found that doing the workout each day actually helped loosen them back up and get past the soreness. It's NOT easy for a beginner, but it CAN be done, you just need determination.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Definately do them, start with 30DS it is a little easier and will get you ready physically for RI30. I did at least 5 days a week and did a total of 33 days 13 on level 1 (wanted to get really good) then 10 on level 2 and 10 on level 3. Once the initial kick to my system and muscles weren't so sore I was able to add in other cardio workouts on some days. I used smaller weights this last time and will increase next time around.
  • healthy_mommy
    healthy_mommy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your encouragement. I'm starting 30DS tomorrow!!! :happy:
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am doing it ever other day. I started off doing it every day and I could only get through level 2 and never even done level 3 because I hurt myself. Now I am doing it every M_w_F and am getting better results without hurting myself. Mix it up if you get bored, use 1 workout from each week or day. There are 7 in all and you can have a new workout for 7 days a months or 2 weeks.
  • wade78
    wade78 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did both. For the 30DS, I took one day of rest before moving to the next level. For RI30, I did it 6 days a week with one day off

Go for it! You wont regret it although make sure you take some measurments before and after.
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 ds for the most part everyday, I've missed a day or too but I'm still seeing results and changes in my body. I'm a beginner so it is challenging, but defiantly do-able! Give it a try and find a rhythm that works best for you.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i'm doing ripped in 30 now and i'm doing 4-5 days a week plus 1-2 miles of walking a day. My 2 rest days are usually real rest days, when I try my hardest to stay in my pjs all day (rarely a success with 2 kids).

I think you can get away with 4 days a week though as long as you are doing another workout one to two days a week.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I have both 30DS and Ripped in 30, but am a little hesitant to start using them. Everything I have read about strength training says to take a day off in between, but Jillian says to do it every day in these videos. Does anyone know her reason for telling us to do the videos everyday instead of every other day? Thanks!!

the simplest answer here is that Jillian Michaels videos ARE NOT strength training.

Edited to add: I've done both of these videos two times through all the levels. I did them 6 days a week. I got very good results. They are a good form of exercise but don't be confused into thinking you are strength training by doing these.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing too bc I always thought you weren't supposed to lift every day, but I guess must be b it is "light lifting". I've been doing her 30DS for almost a year now (off and on) and am happy with how much stronger I'm getting. I ddnt used to have an ounce of upper body strength but I notice a difference now! I primarily run though so hard to say how much in terms of looks is credited to one or the other.

I do 30DS maybe 3-4 times a week. And I agree with someone up there ^ who said that when you're sore the next day, it helps to do the workout again! After my first go at level 3 I was so so sore and after two stiff rest days I decided to do it again and now I feel great! Jst something to keep in mind.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30 DS currently and I am mixing it with JM's BFBM. I have a schedule on my blog.

I think off days are important for those who lift heavy. For 30 DS most of us use 3- 5 lbs dumbbells. Any ways I am doing BFBM in between, so that would be considered as a non-lifting day...

And if you need a rest day, your body will tell you.
  • alisonfindyourdiva
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of 30DS and I'm glad I found this post because my legs are so sore from the lounges and I was confused about doing it everyday when I'm so sore! I think I'll take a rest day once or twice a week as well!
  • alisonfindyourdiva
    Options
    What is BFBM?
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    What is BFBM?
    Another of Jillian's DVDs: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism.