Eating for Energy ?

Options
I just started working out with a trainer and love it but find my energy level tends to be low by the end of the hour I spend with him.

What are the best things to consume for lunch (which would be 2.5 hrs before my workout)

Is there anything that will help just before I start or during as well?

Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with a trainer and love it but find my energy level tends to be low by the end of the hour I spend with him.

What are the best things to consume for lunch (which would be 2.5 hrs before my workout)

Thanks!

Mugs of coffee and possibly some carbs
  • MonicaT1972
    Options

Thanks!

Stupid question of the day but what carbs are best. Is a refined bagel good because it will spike my blood sugar and give me an energy surge that I will crash from after or are healthy whole grains like brown rice oatmeal etc better?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Stupid question of the day but what carbs are best. Is a refined bagel good because it will spike my blood sugar and give me an energy surge that I will crash from after or are healthy whole grains like brown rice oatmeal etc better?

Something like a banana and nut butter (I like macadamia nut butter).
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Banana and nuts.

Pretty much any combination of foods for carbs/protien should be enough to fuel your workouts.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Its a matter of trying things out and personal preference, lately I've been using glazed donuts and sour patch kids if I need a little boost, seems to work for me
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've just tried Recovery XS from MyProtein (for both pre- and post-workout) - 50g carbs and 25g protein for 275 cals. It's the first time I've done all 4 sections of my gym programme, because it's the first time I haven't felt like I'm going to die or throw-up part-way through due to screwed up energy and blood sugar levels.

Wholegrain pasta + tuna or skinless chicken breast should also work.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sugary foods will cause your blood sugar to crash, especially if you're having problems with energy already. Eat foods that are high in protein... meats, cheeses, nuts, Greek yogurt. Pre-workout and post-workout. You need protein both times. I often can't eat a meal before I see my trainer, so I make sure to pack a protein bar in my bag. Just watch the sugar content on those...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Aim for a low glycaemic index meal - the lowest starchy carbs are barley, beans and lentils. Many wholegrains like wheat and long grain rice are actually fairly high GI so can spike the blood sugar. Include protein, fat and fibre to slow the digestion and further stablise the blood sugar.