Started jogging-speed or distance?

Options
Hi,

I recently started jogging and was wondering which would burn more calories- jogging at 15 mins at a speed of 6.3 mph or should I stick to 6.0 mph but try to run a longer distance? At the moment I am managing only 15 mins at a time.

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i guess it depends on your ultimate goal. if it's to compete in long races (10 miles, half and full marathons, etc) then my suggestion would to be start with distance. speed will come. if you also want distance and you can only manage 15 minutes then slow down. you don't want to injure yourself especially if you've never run before.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Right now, I can only do a mile before passing out so everytime I go out I try to do a little better mile than I did last time. Even if its my 5 seconds... It's something. I do a 13 minute mile right now. Hope to get near 10 mins by the end of the month. No too worried about calories right now bc with the endurance will come the calorie defecit. Hope that helps.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you want to be able to run longer distances, then slow down and build the amount of time that you are running. As you become more efficient, your pace will come down on it's own.

If your sole purpose is to burn the maximum amount of calories in the shortest amount of time, many here advocate High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). It seems that studies show it will give you more bang for your buck for a calorie burn, but it's not a sustainable way to become a better runner.
  • Kasaya20
    Options
    If you have just started running speed should be the least of your concerns. Adding speed too soon & fast without having a solid base will just result in injuries that will sideline you for a while. Take it easy and build on endurance by running slow while increasing your time gradually. This will also help you if your ultimate goal is to run longer distances in the future. Speed will come eventually as you work up your endurance.

On the other hand, if your sole purpose for running is to torch as many calories as possible then you need to do HIIT. As someone said in the previous post do take note that this is not the most effective way to become a better runner.

Good luck!
  • It's comical how I see people here posting to one thing or the other, but not both. The best thing you can do is alternate speed days and long distance days. This will give you the most gains, you will gain the necessary speed while incresing your endurance by running for a longer period of time. As far as a long distance run, you want to work your way to 8:00 min miles, for speed, work your way up to 6:00 min miles. One of the best ways to do this is by having running at least 4-5 times a week, sorry but 3x week wont cut it here, maybe at the beginning since you are getting used to it. Have days where you do sprints, start with 4x at 200 meters, and work your way up to 10-12 sprints at 1/4 mile. You want to rest half the time it took you to run, so, if you ran that distance in 2 minutes, rest 1 minute and go. For long distance days, if you can only do a half mile, then only do half mile, but try to maintain your pace throughout, even if its slow at first. Every day that you do a long distance or long time workout try to improve on something, even if its really small. Try do go further every time, or just a bit longer, perhaps even a bit faster. Before you take a nice rest, can be towards the end of the week, do a FARTLEK run, its Scandinavian for "speed play". Just have sprint/jogging intervals where you always vary the distance you sprint and the distance you jog, for this kind of workout you want to concentrate on time, and not distance so much. Start with 10-15 minutes of a Fartlek run and work your way up to 30 minutes. This is just a suggestion, if you need to start lower, then do so, adjust accordingly. When doing a long distance run, you should be able to speak in short 3-4 word phrases, when your going all out, you should not be able to speak. Good luck.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If you have 30 minutes to run, and you go so fast you only get in 15 minutes before you have to stop, then you would be better going slower for the full 30.

If you have time, building endurance and running longer (re: distance limited only be endurance) will burn more calories. If you have a finite amount of time and only want to burn the most calories in that time, then speed (re: distance limited by time) will burn more. In the end for running, covering more distance burns the calories, it just depends on your goal for running and your time limitations.

All that said, if you goal is burning calories in a set amount of time, there may be other types of workouts that will burn more than running, but will not really help you be a runner.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    It's comical how I see people here posting to one thing or the other, but not both. The best thing you can do is alternate speed days and long distance days. This will give you the most gains, you will gain the necessary speed while incresing your endurance by running for a longer period of time. As far as a long distance run, you want to work your way to 8:00 min miles, for speed, work your way up to 6:00 min miles. One of the best ways to do this is by having running at least 4-5 times a week, sorry but 3x week wont cut it here, maybe at the beginning since you are getting used to it. Have days where you do sprints, start with 4x at 200 meters, and work your way up to 10-12 sprints at 1/4 mile. You want to rest half the time it took you to run, so, if you ran that distance in 2 minutes, rest 1 minute and go. For long distance days, if you can only do a half mile, then only do half mile, but try to maintain your pace throughout, even if its slow at first. Every day that you do a long distance or long time workout try to improve on something, even if its really small. Try do go further every time, or just a bit longer, perhaps even a bit faster. Before you take a nice rest, can be towards the end of the week, do a FARTLEK run, its Scandinavian for "speed play". Just have sprint/jogging intervals where you always vary the distance you sprint and the distance you jog, for this kind of workout you want to concentrate on time, and not distance so much. Start with 10-15 minutes of a Fartlek run and work your way up to 30 minutes. This is just a suggestion, if you need to start lower, then do so, adjust accordingly. When doing a long distance run, you should be able to speak in short 3-4 word phrases, when your going all out, you should not be able to speak. Good luck.

Your post is full of misinformation.

First off, you have to have an aerobic base before speed work is 1) safe and 2) effective. Anyone that jumps into running and does the volume and intensity of running that you are advocating is very likely to end up hurt and/or discouraged and not get the amount of benefit from the fast work that they should. Plus, any gains would be short lived.

Secondly, you don't "work your way" to a specific pace. You train at the level that your body is capable of and by doing so, improve your fitness so that your pace naturally comes down. It is a disservice to tell anyone that they need to work toward a specific pace. 8:00 mile pace for a long run? That's not necessary to be successful. This 3:12 marathoner doesn't even run his long runs at that pace. 6:00 minute mile for speed work? What kind of speed work? Each workout is designed to develop a specific system or to simulate a specific race pace. If you plan to run every race at a 6:00 mile, then by all means run all your speed work at 6:00. If you plan to, like the rest of the racing population, run the shorter races at a faster pace than the longer races, then you need to do race specific workouts.

For a beginning runner, the most important things are as follows:

Run easy so that you build aerobic base.
    Run easy so that you increase muscle and connective tissue strength in the lower appendages.
    Run easy so that you continue to enjoy it.
    Run easy so that you stay healthy.

I believe that it's more important for the runner just starting out to completely ignore pace and distance and just go out there and run for a specific length of time. Do 15 minutes today. Take a rest day. Do 17 minutes the next day. Build up slowly and gradually. Once you get to 30 minutes, increase the amount of time of one of those runs until you get it up to an hour. By then, a few months have elapsed and you are running maybe 15 miles a week. Then it comes time to either increase the intensity or increase the frequency. It's dangerous to try to do both at the same time. Which you chose will be a matter of you short term goal. If there isn't a race, then maybe continue to do the base work. If you have a race, do a little sharpening.

There is no cookie cutter "best way" to do anything, but there certainly are some things that are much higher risk than others. Jumping into fast running without an appropriate base is one of them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    There's not going to be any major calorie difference between running, 3 miles at 6mph vs running 3 miles at 6.3mph. You'll just finish a little bit faster if you run faster.

Focus on building endurance first.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Carson is a wise man.

Build endurance first and ask questions later (unless your only goal is to run for 15 minutes).
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing outdoor running since August. Before that I was just doing a couple miles on a treadmill at 5 mph 3-4 times a week. I'm going to tell you to work on distance/time running. I was never really any good at this till I started listening to people like Carson. I upped my distance to 2.5 miles then a month later I was doing 3 miles. At this point a 10 minute mile made me feel like I was about to die at that distance. I kept slowly increasing the distance I ran. I added a half mile and did 3.5 for several weeks. Then I did 4 for a few weeks, then 5... 5.25...

I'm up to about 6 miles now on morning runs. My last one was a 8:58 pace average for all 6 miles. Since I'm logging all my runs with a running app it's easy to look back and see how my speed is slowly creeping up on it's own. I'm just trying to run at a pace that's comfortable but slightly challenging. I know if my pulse is up over 170 and I'm not going up hill that I need to back off a bit. There's no need to keep the accelerator down all the way to the floor.

I did an 8 mile run this last weekend. Longest ever. My pace was 9:58/mile average. No I wasn't running fast but I was running and those miles you spend running slowly pay off.

Totally forget about speed. Don't even worry about how fast you run. Any time I tried to focus on speed more than distance it just ends up giving me unnecessary pain. Your shins will hate you. I did a 5k at the end of October in 26:25. My feet really paid for this and I had to stop running for a week. I could probably do that time now without the pain but that was a bit too fast for me to run then. It's not worth it. Just take your time and enjoy running. Don't compare your time to others. Just see what you're doing compared to yourself. That's what really matters.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Listen to Carson.............. endurance first, speed will come.
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    Speed work is a great thing to incorporate into your weekly training, if you are ready for it. You should only do speed work once a week. It's easier to do it at a track, where the distance is marked. I started with 4 x 400's. Fartlek and tempo runs are also good forms of speed training. If you run hills, or plan to race where there are hills, I suggest adding in hill repeats.
    I like to run 6 days per week, but sometimes my schedule doesn't allow it. I always make sure I have a fast 2 -4 miler, speed work, a run with no distance or time goal, and a long run.
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    I completely agree with Carson! I only added in speed work when I became hooked on racing...I wanted to medal and set new PR's.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I started off doing c25k. Carson and arc are the 2 most experienced and wisest people I've met on here. They helped me know how to go from running for 20 mins to running for 6 hours. While I was doing this, I got faster without doing speed work. Listen to Carson and arc- they've always steered me right. Good luck
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. :)
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Also just because someone else runs an 8 min pace for a marathon does not mean you can or should. There are plenty of us at the back of the pack running 10 min + miles and enjoying it.