Intermittent fasting?

Options
Has anyone ever tried this intermittent fasting? I'm trying to break this plateau I've been on forever. I've gotten a couple of suggestion like that Cut, Bump,Bliitz method , carb cycling, then came across an article on fasting wher you fast for 14-20 hours, then feast for 4-10 within your calorie range. Just wondering what has worked for everyone. I'm no where near my goal weight I'm 5'3" and 163 and have been at this weight for weeks! I workout anywhere from 4-5 times a week with a combo of cardio and strength training and eat 1360 calories a day and eat back some exercise calories as well. I just can't seem to get below this weight! Just curious as to what has worked for some of you. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Oh my golly, you are the same height as me and just a couple of pounds lighter and, like me, not really losing any weight. I look forward to seeing what others post but, personally, I'm not sure about fasting as, for me, it could then trigger binging. As I am a recovered (sort of, only on an occasional very bad day) bulimic I try to avoid things that could trigger binges. See what others say. Good luck xxx
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting but it is just a way to keep yourself under your calorie goals. If you eat the same amount of callories in those 8 hours and you used to eat in the 16 hours you will not lose more weight cause you are fasting. Look at Intermittent fasting as a way to control your calorie intake not an improved weight lost stratagy.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I have heard of a variation of this. One day 500 cals, next day 1500 etc. It seems to work for people but I have never tried it.
    I wouldn't have though fasting for 14-20 hours would be very good. I for one wouldn't be able to keep this up - esp when training.
    Why don't you try lifting weights?
  • LSwan2
    LSwan2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie, I know only a little about fasting,but usually you can have juices, etc. for some calories. Probably just trying to cut back on the calories you are having will trigger some weight loss. Sometimes we have to trick our body. :)
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do lift weights 4-5 times a week along with a couple Zumba classes weekly , an occasional Pilates class, and treadmill and stationary cycling too!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting simply because my body likes it. I wouldn't use it for weight loss as you eat your regular calories in a 4 to 8 hour time span. I find when I eat breakfast I tend to graze all morning and then by lunch I'm shoveling my food in. So I prefer not to eat breakfast (and believe me, I love breakfast!) and wait until noon for lunch. Then midway through the afternoon I'll have what I hope is a healthy snack and then dinner. Then I don't eat after dinner - and that's a habit I got into a long time ago on one of my many diet wagons! So my fast is from roughly 7 p.m. to noon the next day. And nothing is cast in stone - if I wake up and am absolutely starving, I'll eat. I'm also not so strict (during maintenance) that I won't have a sweet dessert once in awhile. Again, I listen to my body and go with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With IF, you are still getting the same amount of calories but in a shorter window. It's supposed to help or can help with fat loss, but I haven't seen many studies that suggest otherwise. So if you eat 1500 calories, you get it in an 8 hour window as opposed to a 16 hour window. Now if you want to break a plateau, here is what I suggest. Set your account to maintain for 2 weeks and do NOT work out. After the 2 weeks, set your weight loss goal lower (1 lb or less). If you are also consistent at working out 5-6 days a week, set your account to moderately active and don't worry about exercise calories. Additionally, set your account to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. Less carbs = less water weight.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Most of the research done showing positive effects were completed on male subjects, and hormonal differences do play a huge role. There is some research done showing females responding NEGATIVELY to fasting:

■ One study (1) found that while IF improved insulin sensitivity in male subjects, female subjects saw no such improvement. In fact, the glucose tolerance of fasting women actually worsened.

■ In another study (2) in response to fasted cycling training, men showed greater skeletal muscle adaptations when fasted. Women had better muscle adaptations when fed.

(1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15833943?dopt=Abstract
    (2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20452283
  • Marie31450
    Options
    Thank you for the responses! I'm grateful for the info !
  • jayboy123456
    Options
    Hi Marie,

I have done IF and recently started it again after experiencing a plateau...basically mon wed fri i eat 600 cals, then eat whatever i want within reason the remaining days, this definately helped me shoot through my barrier.

Another interesting point about IF, is that weight loss is just a positive side effect. Apparently, fasting lowers the level of IGF-1 chemicals in the body which can cause early ageing, diabetes and cancer. The BBC done a fantastic documentary on the subject called EAT, FAST AND LIVE LONGER, it's on BBC interactive if anyone would like to see it.

Good luck
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    There's an IF group. You should read their threads.
  • Marie31450
    Options
    Thanks again! I'm going to check out the IF group !
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting but it is just a way to keep yourself under your calorie goals. If you eat the same amount of callories in those 8 hours and you used to eat in the 16 hours you will not lose more weight cause you are fasting. Look at Intermittent fasting as a way to control your calorie intake not an improved weight lost stratagy.

exactly what I was gonna say!

ETA: I think most of the data on positive benefits, aside from satiety for those who like the pattern, is equivocal. No good studies have found ill effects, but the studies are inconsistent in terms of positive effects. I do it because I'm less hungry throughout the day this way.