Diabetes - recently diagnosed

Options
I think this diabetes is the motivation I needed to kick my butt in gear. I started on this site about a year ago but just dabbled for a few days and that was it. I really want to beat the diabetes with diet and exercise. I haven't had my "class" yet and am unsure about how many calories & carbs I should be eating every day. According to my diary, my caloric intake is too low. Any advice? Looking for "friends".

Replies

• LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    What a great reason to get in gear. You can turn it around! Until you see the dietician, concentrate on very lean proteins, hidden sugars (carrots, for example), and begin taking a walk after EVERY meal. You will end up being healthier than every before, so make it a blessing in disguise! :smile:
  • tmuster
    Options
    wish you the best beating this disease. MFP is a great place to get motivated and awesome support. feel free to add
  • nankato
    Options
    Hi Scopper1, I was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 months ago and I am new to this sight. I have been to the class and follow-up with dietician and it was a temendous help and motivation. I have a lot of weight to lose and a lot of bad habits to change to good ones. I also have fibromyalgia which causes pain and fatigue so exercise is a challenge. Becoming familiar with the carbohydrate counting and other points of your food intake will help so much, but if you are confused, it's nice to have a dietician to call. In our diabetic class, we were each given individual food and meal plans and total calorie intake according to our needs. In the meantime, just try to eat protein, carbs, and vegetables at every meal. I would love to have you as my diet buddy and exchange ideas. Keeping track of my daily food intake on this site has been a great help. Good luck!
  • CiciBug21
    Options
    sorry logged this on my daughters by mistake
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lots of people beat it with diet and exercise only - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Google Jim Obley Walking Man :indifferent:
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Wish you the best at beating this disease, feel free to add me :smile:
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic as well and joined MFP in August. I would love to support you on your journey and would love your support as well. So lets get this show on the road!!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 Diabetic, diagnosed a couple years ago and finally have things under control with diet and exercise. It's a real chore and time consuming. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm NOT recently diagnosed. I'm Type 2 also, but have been diagnosed for years. Recently, I finally have insurance coverage agan, and got to a doctor. Things are worrisome!

Many people have a THAT'S IT number on the scale. Apparently, mine is 240. I have gone back to eating with thought and MFP is really helping. So, new here, not new to NIDDM. I do NOT want to add insulin to my daily drugs! Re-evaluation of blood numbers in January...

Thanks for listening. Friend me if you want to -- I could use some cheerleading :)

Matti
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    it can be beaten. i was diagnosed in january and have gone from 1000 mgs. of metformin twice a day to none.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy. I am trying my hardest to get healthy and back in shape to prevent type 2 diabetes. I have a doctor appt. in January and hoping to lose most of my pregnancy weight before then. my baby is now 4 months old.

good luck! feel free to add me !
  • Toomestwin
    Options
    I think this diabetes is the motivation I needed to kick my butt in gear. I started on this site about a year ago but just dabbled for a few days and that was it. I really want to beat the diabetes with diet and exercise. I haven't had my "class" yet and am unsure about how many calories & carbs I should be eating every day. According to my diary, my caloric intake is too low. Any advice? Looking for "friends".

I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. I found that some of the dietician stuff was a bit confusing, but in the end I managed to figure it out. What helped me a lot was to focus on improving my blood sugar count and not worry about any of the other numbers. Once I got my blood sugar count under control, the weight, cholesterol and blood pressure fell into place.

Exercise was a big challenge to me at first. What helped me was to start off with manageable goals like taking my dog out for a walk. Now, almost 18 months later, I run, ride the elliptical, lift weights and take my dog out for a walk. Point is that as I got used to one activity, I added another. The weight loss also motivated me to increase my activity along the way.

One last bit of advice: you're going to have a "bad" day. We all do. Perhaps we missed a workout, ate too much, spiked our blood sugar count, whatever. When it happens, learn from it so you can do better the next go around and then forget about it. Feeling guilty is not an option. That's where MFP was the biggest help for me. When the next day begins, your calorie goal starts all over. Whatever happened the day before is history and MFP doesn't hold it against you. It just focuses on what your goals are for that day. So take it one day at a time, one exercise at a time, one meal at a time. Seems like a difficult journey at first, but you'll get the results you're looking for. It does get easier once you cross that "hump."

Good luck
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed back in 2009 when I was at my highest weight and had a blood sugar of a whopping 200. I did it gradually by starting to eliminate sweet drinks and cutting back on carbs plus cardio since I wasn't exercising during that time. I'm able to bring it down to a much more comfortable level of 120-130. I still take metformin.

However of all the healthy things that I did, I owe the majority to heavy weight lifting. Coz weight lifting lets us use the glycogen, the stored carbs in our muscles, as a source of energy. So because of that, I'm now able to eat more carbs than before without a blood sugar spike. Though just like other diabetics, I still have occasional issues of hypoglycemia but lately I haven't experienced it.

Don't lose hope, you can do it! Illness has their own setbacks too. Prove your body who's the boss.

Feel free to add me :)
  • PROPT
    PROPT Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi My husband was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2003, at first he hated the thought and thought his life was going to change but he soon realized that being a Diabetic just means that you have to eat good things--He is Insulin dependent but even so he just lives a normal life really. You need to have a consultation with a Diabetic Nurse or do research on the internet but be sure that the websites are well established ones for example NHS. Well wish you the best and as you say you will probably do something about your weight now and in a few months time be a slimmy!!!
  • PROPT
    Options
    I think you have given the best advise I have heard so far adn I have benn trying to loose the extra weight for a while now--the take one day at a time REALLY helped me Thnak you so much I feel in powered now that I can do something. I was loosing the will to honest
  • PROPT
    Options
    I POSTED ON THE WRONG REPLY--- THIS MESSAGE IS FOR TOOMSWIN----

I think you have given the best advise I have heard so far and I have been trying to loose the extra weight for a while now--the take one day at a time REALLY helped me Thank you so much I feel in powered now that I can do something. I was loosing the will to honest