Suggestions for good cycle turbo trainer DVD

Options
I bought my OH a cyclops Fluid 2 trainer for his birthday and I'm looking to get a DVD to go with it. I've googled for it and am just confused by the variety. Can someone help me to find a good one for him.

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Most people don't use them anymore, but Spinervals is the gold standard.

Most people just go with watching a movie or trainerroad or something like that (computrainers etc)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Most people don't use them anymore, but Spinervals is the gold standard.

Most people just go with watching a movie or trainerroad or something like that (computrainers etc)

What's trainerroad
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    http://www.trainerroad.com/

structured workouts that can use ANT+ recording devices to provide feedback, like on a $$$ computrainer
  • neneboricua
    neneboricua Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the type of riding the person does. If the person is a cyclist, the Sufferfest videos are very motivating because the workout is paired with professional race footage. Be aware that some of those workouts are absolutely brutal if done at the intensity they suggest. Another good series is CTS (Carmichael Training Systems) that works on particular cycling abilities, like climbing, sprinting, time trialing, etc...

Trainerroad is great if you have the ability to set up a laptop or computer connected to a TV and you also use ANT+ sensors (these are typically used with Garmin cycling computers and include things like heart rate monitors, cadence/speed sensors, and power meters). It requires a monthly subscription but it's reasonable ($10/month). Trainerroad is good if you live in a climate where riding outside is difficult for large portions of the year but you still want to go into the cycling season in good shape (i.e. you got your base done in the winter and now are ready for serious intervals to get ready for races).

If you're just looking to burn some calories indoors on a trainer, and stay in decent shape over the winter, I would say a combination of 2-4 DVD's (any of the CTS videos or the non-ridiculous Sufferfest ones) and a Netflix account would work fine. You don't want to ride hard all the time because you need to give your body time to recover, so a movie where you can ride at a steady endurance pace is good sometimes. DVD workouts tend to be more intense so should only be done 2-3 times per week.

Another good option, depending on your goals/fitness is to record some TV shows you like, and do intervals during the commercials. When the show is on, ride at endurance or tempo pace. When the commercials come on, do some threshold work or practice climbing by raising the front wheel and shifting to a harder gear, then alternate sitting and standing while keeping the same heart rate/intensity you would when climbing outdoors.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    That's great. Thank you all very much.