B-12 vitamins?? (and vitamins in general)

Options
What is your experience with them? I have a HUGE bottle at home, but don't take them mainly because they STINK (I didn't get the plastic capsules, what a mistake). I read a TON of reviews before purchasing them and most people claimed they gave them added energy (which is my goal here). Did you have extra energy? What about any "extra" fat loss? That's not the reason for buying them, but that would be an added plus :)
Also if I take the pills mid-day (I work 645am-7pm) do you think that would give me a boost of energy when I get home so I'm motivated to work out? I'm just too tired right now

What about other multi-vitamins? I'm a 22yr old female and my mom (who is 39) has been telling me to take something. I CANNOT do the nasty kids chewables or kid gummies. I bought pills, but I throw up when I take them (they are the women's one a day). I'm not sure if my body is not used to them or what. I need something not so harsh on my stomach.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The safest and most reasonable course of action is to find out where you're deficient, and whether it's feasible to correct any deficiencies through your diet. Once that's exhausted, consider supplementing.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Micronutrients work synergistically and in opposition, you can do more harm than good randomly supplementing one or a small group because you knock the balance out. Review YOUR diet and fix that, forget what someone else with a completely different diet and lifestyle experiences. If you eat a balanced wholefood diet and have no health complaints you can get all the nutrients you need and more from real food.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I take B-12, but i haven't noticed any increase in energy. If you have access to a juicer, you can juice fresh vegetables for vitamins, and that gives you a HUGE increase in energy.
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you're deficient in b-12 (not likely unless you're vegan/vegetarian, or have a digestive disorder, because the body stores b-12 for a long time) you will need to take it sublingually (the tablets that melt under your tongue) or by injection.

It's pretty easy/quick to get the stores back up sublingually, too. Mine went from (seriously) SINGLE DIGIT (I have Celiac disease) to 600-something with just one bottle's worth of pills. So it's not something you have to supplement constantly.
  • Elma1975
    Options
    I take b-12 because I always lack b-12. It doesn´t give me energy. Only change I felt was that I wasn´t dizzy anymore.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Unless you're deficient, you really don't need to take a B12 or multivitamin. Most people get enough through their foods. I had gastric bypass surgery & can no longer absorb B12 via food so I take a sublingual one - 2500mcg daily PLUS a multivitamin, iron, calcium & D vitamin supplement. You get used to the smell after a while.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking the vitamins with a meal? I find they are more tolerable that way.

I usually do take vitamins as a nutritional back up; also, some in my family have been diagnosed with inadequate absorption of some vitamins, so I take extra of those just in case.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I take B12 at the advice of my neurologist - for my migraines. They do nothing for my energy whatsoever. I have noticed a decrease in my migraines, however. And yes, they smell and taste awful.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The best way to know if you have a specific deficit is to have a blood test done. I find that B-complex is wonderful for energy (not sure if the people saying it did not work for them take B complex or just B12 alone, but taking them together help absorption). I take a multivitamin everyday because I try to eat a varied diet but with a calorie restriction it's harder to get everything in everyday. Familiarize yourself with what vitamins do so you will know if you are a lacking any.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/vitamins_which.htm

Also be careful not to overdo it on fat soluble vitamins (list at bottom of link below) those are the ones that can lead to problems is over-consumed, water soluble vitamins are gone within the day or a few days max.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002399.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_mineral
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have to take them because my B-12 levels run low. I definitely notice it if I don't take them for a few days in a row. But it's not like they're caffeine, or speed shots.
  • eatathome
    Options
    Also, I also puke from women's once-a-day. It's from the iron. I'm just going to buy another cast-iron skillet, I think, even though everything stuck to the last one I had.
  • eatathome
    Options
    I take B12 at the advice of my neurologist - for my migraines. They do nothing for my energy whatsoever. I have noticed a decrease in my migraines, however. And yes, they smell and taste awful.

Interesting. My neurologist told me to take B-2 (Riboflavin) for migraines. I've never heard of B-12 for migraines, but I guess it kind of makes sense if you're deficient. I had seizures when I was deficient.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    take B-complex, vitamin C, a multi vitamin and ginseng. b is supposed to help with the conversion of food to energy, and the ginseng helps with energy and its herbal tablets, not the plastic capsules. yes, they stink, but just I just plug my nose.
  • MARIPOSADELSUR
    Options
    Hi i have a friend who works at a weight loss clinic and u really dont need it unless ur body lacks it and she told that b12 injections are the best route to go but they can get costly
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    I take a 2500mg sublingual tablet every day, and get a B12 injection every month as I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder called Pernicious Anemia (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001595/) where my body doesn't absorb any B12 from foods or regular supplements.

If you eat any dairy or meat, you should be getting enough B12 that your body needs, however if your body lacks the intrinsic factor (like mine) to process B12 from diet then you need to take B12 supplements. The only way you'll know is if you have a full bloodwork, including B12, folate and ferritin done. (if you're low on folate and ferritin your body won't absorb B12 very well)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't do a multi-vitamin, but I take Vitamin D and a B-Complex.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I just started taking vitamin B. My Dr. told me that the best form is liquid or shots. I'm taking liquid and it is nasty!!!! I guess it has a different effect on different people because I feel like i'm on major caffeine- shaky and can't sleep at night now whereas I was tired all the time before. I didn't take it today to see if I could sleep tonight!!
  • mjoslin1990
    mjoslin1990 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I guess the verdict is in!! no need for B-12 :D That makes me happy lol, stupid stinky pills! and now I can tell my mom to shove it about the multi-vitamins :D
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Luvprettyshoes and Mjoslin
    I just started taking vitamin B. My Dr. told me that the best form is liquid or shots. I'm taking liquid and it is nasty!!!! I guess it has a different effect on different people because I feel like i'm on major caffeine- shaky and can't sleep at night now whereas I was tired all the time before. I didn't take it today to see if I could sleep tonight!!
    I guess the verdict is in!! no need for B-12 :D That makes me happy lol, stupid stinky pills! and now I can tell my mom to shove it about the multi-vitamins :D

If you havent lately, both you gals should have a blood profile done as you both have symptoms that may be related to anemia.

Young women are susceptible to anemia and also women who are strenuously exercising ie; lifting weights; (aerobic exercise helps alleviate the symptoms.)

<<<

Signs and symptoms vary depending on the cause of your anemia, but may include:

Fatigue
    Pale skin
    A fast or irregular heartbeat
    Shortness of breath
    Chest pain
    Dizziness
    Cognitive problems
    Cold hands and feet
    Headache

MAYO Clinic >>>

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anemia/DS00321/DSECTION=symptoms