Allie...anyone tried it?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone had tried Allie and what they thought of it..

Replies

• chera325
    chera325 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and it was TERRIBLE!! The nasty side effects (oily discharge and uncontrollable diarrhea) far outweighs any good it can possibly do. It blocks the absorption of some of the fat you eat, and it claims, that as long as you're careful and eating the right foods, you won't experience the side effects. I found that no matter what I ate (even if it was completely healthy), I still had the side effects. GROSS!
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and it was TERRIBLE!! The nasty side effects (oily discharge and uncontrollable diarrhea) far outweighs any good it can possibly do. It blocks the absorption of some of the fat you eat, and it claims, that as long as you're careful and eating the right foods, you won't experience the side effects. I found that no matter what I ate (even if it was completely healthy), I still had the side effects. GROSS!

How long were you on it before you started having the side effect? How long did you stay on it?
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I did it as part of a paid study for my college. All my meals were provided by the university kitchen, but all of it was under the 25 grams of fat per day that Alli recommends. I didn't have a single problem with it, which is weird because I usually have a pretty sensitive digestion. However, I did receive a letter a few months after the study ended, saying something about how prolonged use of the drug could potentially cause serious liver damage(!?) so...it might not be the best option.
  • iamalexa
    iamalexa Posts: 53
    Options
    I used it for three months and I agree with the side affects not so swell! But I found the healthier I ate the less Oily fat stuff appeared. But I also didnt get diarrhea much but i think perhaps because I struggled with bowel movements in the first place. Im sure it affects all people a little bit differently! Good luck with your decision!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER try this one.
    I have heard nothing good about it. I only know one person personally that tried it and yup, lets just say it was nasty, stinky and embarrassing. She decided to loose weight without the use of diet aids.
    It may just be an urban legend but when it first came out I beleive in the fine print you were instructed to keep a change of clothing,
    I 've never used it, nor would ever consider it so I'm not sure about that.

I would rather be chubby, stay chubby, get chubby anything rather than crap my trousers in public?

Are you kidding me?
    I think you might want to re-think this one.
    Good luck.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I did it as part of a paid study for my college. All my meals were provided by the university kitchen, but all of it was under the 25 grams of fat per day that Alli recommends. I didn't have a single problem with it, which is weird because I usually have a pretty sensitive digestion. However, I did receive a letter a few months after the study ended, saying something about how prolonged use of the drug could potentially cause serious liver damage(!?) so...it might not be the best option.

Don't you just love when they use terms like "prolonged use"? Could they be a liitle bit more specific please? LOL I've been on it for a week and so far have had no adverse effects.
  • jec710
    jec710 Posts: 5
    Options
    I tried it under the supervision of my doctor about 2 years ago. I agree with the terrible side effects. "Treatment effects" is what they call it. It wasn't worth it. It took a while for the drug to get into my system (about 2 weeks) and thats when the effects started. The first two weeks, however, I did lose weight so I thought it was working. In hindsight I think it was the psychology behind the pill that made me lose those first pounds. I told myself it was going to work and so without realizing it I tried harder and lost weight. If you are going to try it, I would advise just to be careful. The purpose of Alli is to block the absorbtion of some of the fat you eat. Fiber also blocks absorbtion of fat, and according to a book I have called "the womens guide to health and wellness" 40 grams of fiber is good for weight loss. Some websites suggest 25. I would research this and try just upping your fiber intake before taking a drug to help you lose weight.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I tried it under the supervision of my doctor about 2 years ago. I agree with the terrible side effects. "Treatment effects" is what they call it. It wasn't worth it. It took a while for the drug to get into my system (about 2 weeks) and thats when the effects started. The first two weeks, however, I did lose weight so I thought it was working. In hindsight I think it was the psychology behind the pill that made me lose those first pounds. I told myself it was going to work and so without realizing it I tried harder and lost weight. If you are going to try it, I would advise just to be careful. The purpose of Alli is to block the absorbtion of some of the fat you eat. Fiber also blocks absorbtion of fat, and according to a book I have called "the womens guide to health and wellness" 40 grams of fiber is good for weight loss. Some websites suggest 25. I would research this and try just upping your fiber intake before taking a drug to help you lose weight.

Thanks for the great insight and info on fiber. I will start tracking that as well.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I used Alli two years ago with MFP and I lost 24 pounds, averaging 1 pound a week. I didn't start taking it until I'd been on my diet for a couple days. I never had any problems. I'm trying to lose 9 pounds I put on since ending my diet, and I'm using Alli and MFP again. There were no bathroom emergencies of any kind, and I felt it just kept me "regular" as far as digestion.

If someone is going to overeat fat and take Alli, then I imagine there would be a problem. I was pretty much sticking to the basic MFP formula, and I liked the results from Alli.
  • Prissymissy1984
    Options
    hello, im taking alli now, im on my second bottle, and i have lost about 25 pounds so far..i have not had any nasty side effects i havent eaten any red meat, or full fat dairy products, and i have been going to the gym at least twice a week.i say go for it, it works great!!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    hello, im taking alli now, im on my second bottle, and i have lost about 25 pounds so far..i have not had any nasty side effects i havent eaten any red meat, or full fat dairy products, and i have been going to the gym at least twice a week.i say go for it, it works great!!

Congrats on your progress! So far I'm happy with it but it's only been 10 days so I still am on the fence.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I used Alli two years ago with MFP and I lost 24 pounds, averaging 1 pound a week. I didn't start taking it until I'd been on my diet for a couple days. I never had any problems. I'm trying to lose 9 pounds I put on since ending my diet, and I'm using Alli and MFP again. There were no bathroom emergencies of any kind, and I felt it just kept me "regular" as far as digestion.

If someone is going to overeat fat and take Alli, then I imagine there would be a problem. I was pretty much sticking to the basic MFP formula, and I liked the results from Alli.
  • Breckgirl
    Options

Last week I splurged and have pizza on Thursday and prime rib on Saturday and thought for sure that it would cause side effects but there were none and I lost 2.5 lbs. So far I'm happy with it.
  • LCreutz
    LCreutz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into Alli and I would like to see how it is working for you..please keep us posted
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I have been looking into Alli and I would like to see how it is working for you..please keep us posted

I would be glad to.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Last week I splurged and have pizza on Thursday and prime rib on Saturday and thought for sure that it would cause side effects but there were none and I lost 2.5 lbs. So far I'm happy with it.

I'm glad you like it. If I indulged on a special occasion, I noticed a difference, but I never had any emergencies, if you KWIM.
  • dbarcelona
    Options
    I have not tried it, but i know a gal who did. She lost a lot of weight. However she did have some horrible incidents where she pooed herself. However, she has a job that she could run home and take care of the problem. Unlike her, I have a normal office job that would not allow me such privilages. If i pooed myself I would not have a choice but to tell my boss or someone - how shameful would that be!! Ive done some pretty extreme diets in my time - but Alii is not one I would do.
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have heard from some nurses that Alli is pretty bad. Pooing myself as a possible side effect is just not for me.
    Nice to hear that it does work for some people though.
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    So...I'm curious...and I mean this honestly...You admit you've been going to the gym and eating differently correct? So wouldnt you be losing weight regardless of wether you were talking a pill or not? I think that's what I find most interesting about these pills. If you would just do the diet change AND exercise, you'd lose weight without putting some foreign chemicals in your body no? Just something to think about! Congrats on your weightloss though! :)
  • cindyrey
    cindyrey Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm on alli now, I love it lost 14 pounds so far. for those that had side effects well it tells you that if you go over your fat grams per meal around 15 you can have side effects. It also says if you have a meal like that don't take it with that meal. It teaches you how to eat healthy for life. alli is only for those who don't overdue it on the fat . I stick to low cal and low fat foods, I pay very close attention to what I eat, therefore alli is for me, but may not be for everyone.