Grains/Processed foods

Options
Why is it that when I eat grains (pasta, bread, rice) my weight will jump up for awhile? Has anyone else noticed that about processed foods? I put on 1/2 pound after eating maybe 800 calories in pasta, and that was after a 9 mile run. Crazy!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Not an expert, but an educated guess would be that it's denser (hence weighs more) and is more "difficult" for the body to breakdown so it sticks around longer. With respect to weighing in after eating, I wouldn't because that's always going to change based on what/how much you eat. I only do my weigh-ins in the morning; first thing when I get up, after using the restroom, and in the buff. It's the most consistent and accurate, with fewest number of variables to take into account. Hope this helps.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Intersting fact I picked up in grade 12 bio...

For every gram of carbohydrates your body stores as glycogen in your muscles, it needs to store 4 grams of water as well, to help along the metabolic processes when your body decides to use it. So say you ate 50g of carbs, your body would store over half a pound of water.

Of course, then there's the added food weight , etc, etc.. =p
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    OMG! Me too.

That is why I actually try to do a "no flour" diet while also doing MFP.

I find the more I stay away from all FLOUR products the more I seem to lose and also feel great.

It also seems like I don't have anxiety as much when I stay away from FLOUR. Anybody else notice this?

Also, when I stay away from FLOUR I eliminate all my "trigger" foods -- and that's a good thing.

Take care, and good luck.

~Tammy
    :flowerforyou:
  • tonihoee
    tonihoee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PKGirl - thanks - I can not begin to remember 12 grade biology, but you nailed the 1/2 pound gain.

Tammy - I am 99% flour free, it is sometimes it "jumps" into my mouth & then I am out of control. When I stay away from the flour & grain products I loose weight so eaisly! I tell people if I eat what God made I loose, if I eat what man made I gain!