Munchies

Options
So if you were in a position to say.... suddenly want to eat everything in the house, uncontrollably, til you exploded.... And maybe it happens somewhat often... usually around the late evening.... Maybe with some Adult Swim, or maybe Floyd on in the background....

What would you pick? To eat endlessly and not spoil your day?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OK, here's the response I was typing before being rudely interrupted.

I keep celery sticks and carrot sticks and fresh fruit in the fridge. I do NOT keep packaged cookies and other such temptations around. Also, remember that it's all in your mind. Control your mind, and you can control your body. If you start to believe that you want something like that, step outside of the house and walk or sit on the porch. Get away from the TV if you're in front of it.

The key is to realize that it's the situation that makes you want to eat, and that you are not actually hungry at all. It takes practice, but very doable if you are pre-planning. It's about self-realization.

Also, check into different "varieties" that don't necessarily make you feel that way, if you catch my drift.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Cantaloupe and salad are two things you can pretty much eat until you are full, and then some more, and still not overdo it. Fresh cantaloupe tastes so good when you are........ uh..... listening to Floyd.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I always save a few hundred calories for after dinner. I'll make my snack before I...turn on the music..so that I don't change my mind. And as long as I've eaten right that day and know my body doesn't need more food, the rest is just mental.

Things that are slow to eat too...like pistachios or edamame are good because it takes longer to eat and feels like a bigger snack.
  • dorilou1969
    Options
    If you know you're going to...listen to some Floyd...each evening, as I do, then you must save yourself some calories just for that. Wendy is right though, you are not really hungry and don't really need to eat. I usually just sip my diet soda for awhile so as not to...interfere with the music. When I am all done...listening to music, I bust out an Edy's Slow Churn or a Skinny Cow :-) Or I make a low calorie dessert that I love. It is kinda weird maybe, but I love it. A clementine, peeled and sectioned into a bowl, with a sugar free jello mixed in and some lite cool whip. whole dessert is about 65 calories!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

1004809_o.gif

tumblr_mbvabkC2Pg1rzig3to1_400.gif
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bwahahahahaha. I love this thread. This happens to me kinda frequently.

I haven't been managing it well.

I try to really really get it in my head before listening to Floyd that I will NOT give in to any munchies cravings.

That doesn't work so well sometimes. Not recently.

The other thing that used to work really well for me was to determine what I was allowed to have beforehand. Usually, I would save enough calories to have a sliced-up apple with 2 tbsp of peanut butter. And let me tell you, when you've been counting calories and being good all day, nothing tastes better than an apple when you're chilling with some background music, ahem. And the peanut butter fulfills the naughty texture/flavor that I like when I'm in that zone.

And then, after that, if I was still in munchie madness, if I had really properly mentally prepared myself earlier and could manage mind-over-matter, I would find ways to distract myself. Usually sitting and watching TV at that time doesn't help. I'd find something to do with my hands instead (seriously, grab a notebook and doodle, or crochet something, or ANYTHING). And there were a few nights where I just made myself brush my teeth and go to bed early because I knew I wouldn't hold out if I stayed in front of the TV in that state. And sometimes when I was being REALLY REALLY good, I'd just get down on the floor and do some situps or something like that instead.