Pre Diabetic Questions

Options
13»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Not going to repeat what you've already been told but would like to say that now is the time to educate yourself on what causes diabetes and what you can do to stop it. Yes, you can stop it dead in it's tracks. Exercise, eat healthy, not too many carbs. What hasn't been mentioned here is the type of sugar you ingest. Start looking at the labels on everything you eat. You will be so surprised at how much corn syrup is in everything. Corn syrup is metabolized in your body completely differently than other sugars and is largely responsible for the obesity epidemic we are having in this country and all the metabolic syndrome disease (heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc) states that go with it. You have to get this stuff completely out of your diet!!!

I would encourage you to follow this link and listen to this lecture by Dr. Lustig. You don't have to try and understand the scientific metabolic pathways, just listen for the bottom line message.

We're here for support if you need us. I can explain anything in this video if you have questions!

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/03/3222/ucsf-lecture-sugar-and-obesity-goes-viral-experts-confront-health-cri

You really need to read this.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    [/quote]

Really? I've read your "must read" link, and Alan Aragon hasn't produced one outcome study to prove a single thing he says nor does he have any clinical research experience. As a medical professional who works in the field of cardiovascular and diabetes research, i think I will stick with the advice I previously gave. Of course, it's up to our friend who posted this topic to determine what information he chooses to take.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat intake doesn't have anything to do with diabetes.
    WTF are you talking about!?!?!? Dietary fat intake has everything to do with diabetes!

Source? I've never heard this before and would like to read your sources.
  • busymnmom
    Options
    bump
  • elizawe
    Options
    You can remedy this issue from ever reoccurring in your lifetime by converting to a vegetarian diet.

Resistance training and eating lean whole foods can provide the same response if he would want to go as extreme. So a paleo or primal diet could help. Another viable option.
    The point to using a veg diet to defeat diabetes is to get your dietary fat intake VERY low. A paleo diet still includes some meat.

Actually, dietary fat does play a role because fatty acids influence glucose metabolism by altering cell membrane function, enzyme activity, insulin signaling, and gene expression.

Replacing saturated fats with unsaturated (polyunsaturated and/or monounsaturated) fats will improve insulin sensitivity reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was told my doctor that I am pre diabetic because my AiC was 6.4. I am not overweight by any means and did not know that I was because I did not feel different. I am as followed

6'1" 215

I have MyFitnessPal set for weight loss at 2 pounds per week. It has the Sugar automatically set to 29g. Is that low enough from the automatic settings to reverse the pre diabetic results.

I'd read Primal Blueprint by Marc Sisson. Also look at videos on sugar at http://www.uctv.tv/ University of California. Dr. Lustig Video on "Sugar the Bitter Truth" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Have a great evening.

Jon
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    WTF are you talking about!?!?!? Dietary fat intake has everything to do with diabetes!

Source? I've never heard this before and would like to read your sources.
    Here are a few medical journals touching on the subject:
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/8/1777.full
    http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/52/1/138.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/5/1316.full

Also, check out:
    http://pcrm.org/health/diabetes-resources/

Intramyocellular lipid (fat inside the muscle cell) causes insulin resistance. Reducing overall fat intake reduces intramyocellular lipid, within days.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Really? I've read your "must read" link, and Alan Aragon hasn't produced one outcome study to prove a single thing he says nor does he have any clinical research experience. As a medical professional who works in the field of cardiovascular and diabetes research, i think I will stick with the advice I previously gave. Of course, it's up to our friend who posted this topic to determine what information he chooses to take.

What exactly did Lustig prove again? Sounded like 90 minutes of biased commentary, with biology 101with the appeal to authority card thrown in for good measure. Personally for anyone to make such a single minded statement about obesity should really get out more and talk to other people. Your personal appeal to authority doesn't show a good light on you if you actually believe what Lustig was alluding to............life (obesity) is a tad more complicated.

You said that corn syrup is largely responsible for the obesity epidemic, or are you just repeating what Lustig believes, anyway, then the question is...............If HFCS is replaced with another fructose containing sweetener, like sucrose for example, but doesn't have to be, will provide a meaningful solution to the obesity epidemic.
  • elizawe
    Options

What exactly did Lustig prove again? Sounded like 90 minutes of biased commentary, with biology 101with the appeal to authority card thrown in for good measure. Personally for anyone to make such a single minded statement about obesity should really get out more and talk to other people. Your personal appeal to authority doesn't show a good light on you if you actually believe what Lustig was alluding to............life (obesity) is a tad more complicated.

You said that corn syrup is largely responsible for the obesity epidemic, or are you just repeating what Lustig believes, anyway, then the question is...............If HFCS is replaced with another fructose containing sweetener, like sucrose for example, but doesn't have to be, will provide a meaningful solution to the obesity epidemic.

Yes, obesity is a tad more complicated and I never alluded to a single cause nor did Lustig. It's funny the conclusions you are drawing from what was actually said but it's in line with many of your other thread comments on this forum.
  • elizawe
    Options
    Not going to repeat what you've already been told but would like to say that now is the time to educate yourself on what causes diabetes and what you can do to stop it. Yes, you can stop it dead in it's tracks. Exercise, eat healthy, not too many carbs. What hasn't been mentioned here is the type of sugar you ingest. Start looking at the labels on everything you eat. You will be so surprised at how much corn syrup is in everything. Corn syrup is metabolized in your body completely differently than other sugars and is largely responsible for the obesity epidemic we are having in this country and all the metabolic syndrome disease (heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc) states that go with it. You have to get this stuff completely out of your diet!!!

I would encourage you to follow this link and listen to this lecture by Dr. Lustig. You don't have to try and understand the scientific metabolic pathways, just listen for the bottom line message.

We're here for support if you need us. I can explain anything in this video if you have questions!

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/03/3222/ucsf-lecture-sugar-and-obesity-goes-viral-experts-confront-health-cri

When I originally followed your link, it took me to a different article of Alans. Following the link again, I see that you are guilty of regurgitating Alan's comments the same as you accuse me with Lustig. I have now read the specific article you mentioned above and all the comments that followed concentrating mainly on the conversation between he and Lustig. They both make very good points backed by a lot of scientific data....I wouldn't accuse either one of them with biased commentary or appealing to authority as you do however. After lively debate and discussion, they both hold firm in their beliefs as do we apparently. I do appreciate the article and plan to spend more time mulling over their disagreements. It is an interesting read and contrary to your personal but false assumptions of me, I am wide open to reading other work and open to opposing viewpoints.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was told my doctor that I am pre diabetic because my AiC was 6.4. I am not overweight by any means and did not know that I was because I did not feel different. I am as followed

6'1" 215

I have MyFitnessPal set for weight loss at 2 pounds per week. It has the Sugar automatically set to 29g. Is that low enough from the automatic settings to reverse the pre diabetic results.

To O.P

An A1C of 6.3 is an average glucose of 137, normal is below 100. Note this is average; you are likely to have spikes much higher after eating. Spikes above 160-180 will lead to long-term complications. Read up on it, none of them are pretty and the average lifespan of a diabetic is 10 years less, heart attach rate 4 times more, etc.

Your BMI is 28.4, for a diabetic aim for a BMI of 21-22, so you weight 50lb too much. Lose it. Diabetes is progressive, there is no cure, you can’t undo it, but you can slow down progressions, and lower weight and more exercise is all you can do.

I suggest you buy a glucose meter, if the doctor didn’t already gave you one. Cheap at wall mart or any drug store, measure glucose 1 hour and 2 hours after meals, if above 140, you have a problem, and above 200 go back to the doctor immediately. After meals glucose, you can control with what you eat and exercise, but morning much less so. If your morning is above 120, you need more exercise; eat less carbs, and medication. I rather take medication than deal with the long term consequences of diabetes. But, get some glucose numbers and talk to your doctor. Ignore all the chatter on these boards.

In addition, carbs is what matters for diabetes; it does not matter if they are starch, white sugar, fruits, or whatever. Carbs are carbs. However digestion slows down if carbs come with fiber, protein, fat or whatever. This slowing down of digestion lowers the peak, which is good, so stay away from large loads of carbs with nothing with it.
    There is no magical supplement, food, etc. I wish there was. But there is medication that lowers glucose.
    Fat high or low in your diet, irrelevant, ignore the fanatics on either side.

And most of all ignore most of what you hear here, so much is blatantly wrong. Do look at the diabetes group on MFP; most people who have had diabetes for a while are much better informed.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yes, obesity is a tad more complicated and I never alluded to a single cause nor did Lustig. It's funny the conclusions you are drawing from what was actually said but it's in line with many of your other thread comments on this forum.
    LOL, and you're a nurse for gawd sakes.

This is what you said:
    Corn syrup is metabolized in your body completely differently than other sugars and is largely responsible for the obesity epidemic we are having in this country and all the metabolic syndrome disease (heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc) states that go with it. You have to get this stuff completely out of your diet!!!

Corn syrup is not metabolized any differently by the body than any other source of fructose and if I'm wrong please elaborate and link the studies. Also context and dosage, while it might sound foreign to you, is a phrase that's been used for clinical reasons forever, sorry if that sounded weird to you, but just wanted to make that clear if you do bother to link to any studies.