Working two jobs...

Options
Hello all! I've been on this diet journey way to long, still yet to lose the first pound. I have a question for you out there who work two jobs.. What methods do you all take?

I work both day and night at two separate jobs. 8-4:30 and then 5-9:30, Monday through Friday.

When do you find time to exercise? Do you take certain vitamins to boost your energy? What foods do you fix to take to work, with what little time you have, and how do you keep them fresh if you weekly prepare them?

Thanks for any kind of advice.

Replies

• eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My main thing is I am committed to logging my food daily. The rest has been following. There are some great bars out there you can use as meal replacement if you don't want to cook. My old trainer used to love Balance bars. They are about $1/ea. at the grocery store.

Sounds like you are plenty active. Have read on the forums here that food is 80% of trick for losing weight. Doesn't matter if you run 10 miles a day, if make poor food choices.

Do you work at McDonalds? That would be tough to lose weight there eating their food. You can do this, you just have to make up your mind. Do small steps. Replace soda with water, give up fries or ice cream or something like those choices.

You don't have to take time to cook. Lots of nights I just have oatmeal with almond or soy milk, cuz I don't like cooking much.

Make a commitment to logging your food, get some books from library to see about food choices or look on line. Just take it one day at a time and even if you only lose 4 lbs a month that is 24 lbs in 6 mo. You will get there if you want to.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Weight loss occurs through calorie deficit. So as long as you stay within your daily calorie goal you will lose weight. Exercise although beneficial is not required.

*Calorie deficit for weight loss
    *Exercise for fitness

The most important thing for you to do is log every single thing that you eat. I looked at your diary and it's empty except for the day you ate McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In short -

*Log everything, every bite!
    *try to eat as healthy as possible, lean meats, fish, fruits, veggies, whole grains, yogurt, cheese (plan ahead it helps)
    *stay within your calorie goal
  • kristinasyoung
    Options
    I have a schedule very similar to yours except mine is work 6-3 and go to class from 6-10pm. My life changed dramatically when I started this schedule and went from a job where I was walking 8-9 hours a day to a sedentary desk job. Not only did I lose time to workout 4 times a week like I was doing. I have gained 15 lbs in 7 months because of my schedule, lack of time to exercise, lack of time to cook and lack of sleep. I'm starting with diet, that's the easiest to do without losing more sleep by exercising late in the evening. TONS of people have TONS of different things that work for them ie. high protein, low-carb, no protein, high-carb... the list goes on. I've been researching so much in the last two weeks my head is spinning. For me, I know carbs are my enemy (but I LOVE it). Everything has to be taken in moderation. Try packing snacks or mini-meals for every 2 hours of the day. This keeps your metabolism revved up all day long so there are no resting periods. If you choose veggies to snack on, they'll keep you full longer if you put them with a protein (23 almonds, handful of walnuts, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, handful of oven roasted chickpeas). Find what you like. If you have a favorite food, Google search for healthy recipes using that food. I've got lots of little tricks I'm trying, I'll keep posting when I come up with new things. Also, try adding a couple servings of green tea to your diet daily (not the bottled kind! it's full of sugars or unnatural sweeteners.). Green tea assists with digestion and your metabolism.

Sorry this was so long, but I'm in the same boat you are and talking about it helps me realize how much meeting my goal means to me! I have some workout tricks also that have worked for me in the past for a TIGHT schedule! I'll write more soon.
  • blondie_Kate
    blondie_Kate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hey hun, do you have any method to heat up food at work? i find soup and stew are good for low calories, filling you up and quick and easy to have and store for lunch and dinner. Also there are plently of bars out there that are high in vitamins and protein to be low carb but high in fibre etc.

Do you have any canteens close that do salads and healthy types of food?

fruit is always good to buy, store and eat too :)

hope this helps!

o and also, i have no time to excersize either, i get up an hour early to do some fitness on my wii before work and uni. this helps me wake up, boost my motabilism and boost my weightloss :)
  • imperfection_is_beauty
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. No, I work in Child Support during the day and then WalMart by night. Working in a different city in the day makes it so much harder to stay on a strict diet. Especially when McDonalds is right around the corner!

I was reading about the GNC total lean 25 shakes. I have the WORST time sticking to a diet, so hopefully that will help. Being a very picky eater, doesn't really help much either. :/
  • Ive sent you a friend request.... I work two jobs one in a school and the other in a pub. Im so busy in work even during my break I tend to have school meals ok they aren't that bad as they are made for the nutrition of children but still I no I could have better.. I work 8:30 - 3 in the school then 5/6-11:30/12:30 in the pub and that 4 out of 7 days. I find it hard as I can order food in the pub when im working sausage and mash is my down fall!!!

Ive looked at diet shakes but have heard stories about friends hair falling out and making them ill so I decided not to plus I don't like or drink milk.
    Im looking for MFP friends kind of in the same situation to talk too etc.
  • ckemmis
    ckemmis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs as well, one in retail, the other as a nanny, and go to college full time. On the days that I have school, I purposely schedule at least one hour and a half break in between classes and make myself go to the gym on campus, this way I can't use the "I don't have time" excuse.

As for food, I just watch my portions and stay away from fast food and what not. That doesn't always work, since I work at a mall, but if I work a shift that I get a break, I try to bring my own lunch, to keep myself from going to the food court or going to one of the restaurants. I'll usually take a sandwhich, a small thing of yogurt, and some fruit or something that I can heat up in the microwave.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have two jobs plus I study at university full time. A normal day for me would be:

5:00 - wake
    5:30-7:30 - exercise then home
    8:30 - leave house for Uni
    13:00 - leave Uni
    14:00-18:00 - work
    18:15 - get home

So I eat breakfast after exercising. I normally eat throughout the morning up until I leave for work at 1. I get my fill of calories then. As that is simply when I am hungry, I tend not to be in the evenings. But I know this wouldn't work for others. I do take a multivitamin everyday plus I only drink water and tea so I think not relying on soft drinks is a big help. I pre make salads and soups and take them with me, along with fruit. Personally I stay away from shakes and their friends. Salads take 5 mins to make and are so much better for you. I guess with regards to exercise, if you really want to do it you'll make it work. I hate getting up at 5, but the benefits far outnumber that extra hour or two of sleep. Mind you, I'm usually in bed by 9:30-10. The coolest 26 yo going round haha
  • rockingallovertheworld
    Options
    Hello
    I work two jobs one is 70 hours over 7 nights then 7 nights off then the other is 10 hours over two days every week. I still try to eat at regular times whatever shift I am working and also try to walk at least half an hour a day. My night time job is a hotel receptionist and my other is in retail which means I am on my feet walking around the department for my 5 hour shift.
    I eat a meal before my nightshift then sometimes have some fruit during the shift but usually just have breakfast before going to bed when I get home. I will send you a friend request. I have found all my friends on here so helpful.:smile: