Auckland or Canterbury?

Options
najla56
najla56 Posts: 195 Member
Hi,

I am planning to do my masters in civil engineering from NZ, and have applied to both UoA and UC. and I cant decide between both the universities. can anyone help me on this regard?

what I want to know are:
1. International recognition UoA vs UC
2. Life in campus and quality of living
3. living expenses
4. General quality of education
5. Gym, trail running, adventure sports etc facilities

Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• najla56
    Options
    anybody?
  • najla56
    Options
    Hi,

I am planning to do my masters in civil engineering from NZ, and have applied to both UoA and UC. and I cant decide between both the universities. can anyone help me on this regard?

what I want to know are:
    1. International recognition UoA vs UC
    2. Life in campus and quality of living
    3. living expenses
    4. General quality of education
    5. Gym, trail running, adventure sports etc facilities

Thanks in advance guys!
  • Dina275
    Dina275 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My brother studies engineering at Auckland university and seems to enjoy it (he's not a city person though so hates having to live in the city), but I think it's pretty much the top Uni in NZ for studying engineering in. I have no idea about the international recognition, but Auckland is the bigger of the two universities which might make it more recognisable to overseas countries.

I'm not sure about the campus life, the Auckland university is located right in the centre of Auckland city, so it's very close to everything, and the campus is spread over a bit of an area I think. I think the campus living isn't too bad, some of the hostels are a bit dodgy, but a lot of people live in flatting situations which gives you more control.

Auckland is a pretty expensive place to live, so the living expenses will be higher there than they would be in Canterbury, accommodation I think is probably the most expensive thing, Auckland is the most expensive place to live.

Because the uni is located in central Auckland there are heaps of gyms nearby, I think the uni might have one, I'm not sure, but my brother goes to a gym down there. And there are quite a lot of places to run in Auckland, although a lot of the good trail running you would have to go out of the city centre for.

There's also less earthquakes in Auckland...I don't know anything about Canterbury uni though so can't help you there, I think they might be having a bit of difficulty in attracting students atm though so are offering quite a lot of scholarships etc.
  • najla56
    Options
    thanx a lot!
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    google compare the city to look into the financials, but keep in mind maybe u will need to visit both to decide where u feel more comfortable at
  • najla56
    Options
    thanks!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer, volcanos or earthquakes?

I love Christchurch, it's one of my favourite places. The university campus is beautiful and the student 'way of life' is a big part of the culture there. Christchurch has beautiful architecture and is very 'arty' and cultured. Great coffee and food.
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm at UoA :)

The quality of education is brilliant.
    Auckland Uni has a gym (I don't do gym stuff, but it seems well stocked and whatnot. They run classes and whatever there), and there's a lot of clubs to join. They have a pokemon club, dessert club, meat club (the most hilarious club) and also heaps of sport clubs and stuff. There's a tramping club and a canoe/kayak club, whic is apparently very good.

http://www.ausa.auckland.ac.nz/
    This is the website where all the clubs and things are listed.

There's lots of places to hang out on campus. Since you're going to do engineering, the engineering building is pretty awesome, with a huge engineering library- it can be hard to navigate around at first though.

UoA is probably more recognised than UC.