1000 calories left over at the end of the day???

Options
I recently changed my activity level to "lightly active" because I spend the majority of my day on my feet. I own a cleaning business and work varies day to to day. So, some days I may work for 3 hours some days longer depending on my schedule. I basically eat the same things every day & am satisfied (some times too full) and still have a surplus of calories at the end of the day. There is no way I can make myself eat that many more calories without feeling sick to my stomach. I am not a big fruit and vegetable eater so....what now? I have hit a wall as far as weight loss goes. 32 lbs gone so far but it's stalled and still feel I have about 10-15 to go. I really am not that concerned about what the scale says but do need to tone certain areas.

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Replies

• seekingbetterme
    seekingbetterme Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on higher calorie things like peanuts during the day! That always helps me!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Circuit training... Hit the weights hard and tone, tone, tone! High reps with lighter weight will not grow muscle but it will help to add definition which I assume is what you are seeking. If you are new to working out then get a trainer to help you find you max and perform at an optimum level for definition of the muscle you have.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I would guess you are more than lightly active if you are on your feet so much and cleaning. You probably need to change that and eat more so eat full fat dairy, whole eggs, nuts/nut butters, seeds, avocadoes, healthy oils etc..
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    A typical pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream is 1000 calories. I'd go with that.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    I don't know what your calorie budget is, but you need to be eating at least 1200 calories a day. As long as you are getting at least that I wouldn't be TOO worried, but be careful that you aren't too low. Try eating stuff that is high in calories. You are lucky, you can afford to indulge in some desserts without blowing your day haha. But like a person above me said, peanuts and peanutbutter are good. Salad dressing has a lot of calories too. Maybe some frozen yogurt :) Working out will make you hungrier too, but aim for muscle workouts. With more muscles it means your body will be wanting more calories.
  • faireplay
    Options
    No adjustments to diet will tone you, that must be done with exercise. As for adding calories to your day....so easy. Full fat salad dressings, full fat mayo and cheeses. Avocado, cook with healthy oils instead of cooking sprays. Oh and full fat milk. and yogurts. You'll be surprised how quickly the calories add up!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'd lift. It's a platuea buster if ever there was one!

Like some others said, as long as you're eating 1200+ calories a day you should be fine. I'll add that the day after I lift, I'm always famished and eat more. Just adding that (assuming you're not already doing so) might help you bust thru the plateau and eat more at the same time.
  • tinahelton
    tinahelton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all! Great ideas (not so sure about the Ben & Jerry's though...lol :wink:) I do snack on peanuts & will hit the weights as soon as I can get back to the gym!!! I have worked with a personal trainer & will get back on that regime. I knew I could count on my MFP folks for suggestions!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to you all! Great ideas (not so sure about the Ben & Jerry's though...lol :wink:) I do snack on peanuts & will hit the weights as soon as I can get back to the gym!!! I have worked with a personal trainer & will get back on that regime. I knew I could count on my MFP folks for suggestions!!

Nothing wrong with Ben & Jerry's, unless you're diabetic then it may be an issue. My diary's open, take a look. Managed to lose quite a bit of weight and post muscle gains. While eating a pint of ice cream every day, albeit not always Ben & Jerry's. Most because I like other food so I don't spend all my cals on Ben & Jerry's all the time.