why can't I do this?

Options
Ever since my surgery (brain surgery), I gained about 40 pounds. Prior my surgery, I always ate clean; minus a couple binges once and awhile. I don't know why I can't kick myself into gear and get back to my old self again. I also can only walk/bike on a stationary bike and can't drive due to a grand mal seizure. Any tips on what I can do to KICK MYSELF BACK INTO GEAR? It is much appreciated.

Replies

• holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Girl you CAN do this. it is inside of you! It sounds like before the surgery it came easy to you, and you are so lucky for that. Now it may be very tough, but YOU CAN DO IT. Success lies in each choice you make. From what you do when you 1st wake up, to the 1st meal, ext. Make every choice not so immediate, and think about it. Eat whole raw food all day everyday. Not to say you can't have a cookie, but that cookie won't bring you this guilt and regret if breakfast was hard boiled eggs and protein, lunch was salad veggies, protein and vinaigrette dressing, and dinner was another fat hunk of protein with more veggies and a great fresh berry treat. It isn't only going to happen one choice at a time, and it seems you have so much on this plate called life already, so just slow down, take a breath and make better choices. It will be like a snowball effect!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Lots of prayers but no answers. I'm in the same boat.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it. Look at what you are doing now and compare it to what you used to do. Make ONE change this week, like, cut out soda, or drink more water, or eat more protein. ONE change. Wait a week. Make one more change. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed by all the things that may need to change. Take small steps. Do the exercises that you can. Walking can really be fun. Walk somewhere new. Make fun playlists for yourself. Enlist walking partners.

Seriously, you are entirely too awesome to ever think that you can't do ANYTHING that you want to! :flowerforyou:
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you are being too hard yourself. Start by maintaining your weight and find victory in not gaining. You will be giving your future self the gift of FREE weight loss.
  • mdamrow
    mdamrow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The best advice someone gave me was, "no matter what happens keep going". Every time I'm feeling down about the scale or what I ate, I remind myself that I have to keep going no matter what. You can do this, just take it one day at a time.
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! :smile:

MFP is 100% behind you!!!!!
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    thank you all! i'll stick to it.. (I just wish it can FALL right off haha)
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try checking out the success stories here and other places online. They can make you feel better.
    Also, writing out a schedule might help- Maybe a 45 min walk every Monday, workout DVD on Wednesday etc. :) Best of luck!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's because your using the wrong word. "Can't" Will get you nowhere. My suggestion, get rid of it and get it out of your vocabulary. It's not a very motivating word, and never really has a good use. Instead, place it with Can or better yet, WILL. I will do this sounds better and is much more motivating than I can't do this which gives you the opposite effect and makes you want to give up. Also, the phrase "I'll stick to it!" Is a wonderful phrase to use as well :) You CAN totally do this :) See? ^_^ Much better!
  • pulelehua510
    Options
    I think we all feel this way sometimes. Don't let it get the best of you. Dig deeper, make one change you can stick with, and do a little excersice everyday.
  • rayne133
    rayne133 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thank you all! i'll stick to it.. (I just wish it can FALL right off haha)

We all wish it could just FALL right off. Unfortunately it just doesn't happen that way. This may sound a bit kooky, but try thinking of your extra pounds like gold (and watch that silly miner show on TLC..Discovery (what ever channel it comes on)). They dig these HUGE trenches for these little bitty flecks of gold, they work and they work and at the end of a week they get this little bitty ball of gold that just really doesn't seam like much, so they work and work some more and by the end of the season they have a mason jar full of little tiny balls of gold. Next thing you know, your at the season finale and that little mason jar is worth like half a million dollars.

We all have challenges when it comes to weight loss, getting around those challenges, that's the trench. The pounds are our gold. We work and work and at the end of a week, that $50 ball of gold rarely seems worth the effort it took to dig that big ole trench, but if we keep working and keep working, eventually we get to that finale with the half million dollar self esteem and sense of accomplishment.

Just a question, and certainly none of my business, so no reply expected; food for thought: Did you live with some one prior to the surgery and has your living situation changed post surgery? Could you be adopting some one else's not so healthy habits?
  • dannydiaz20
    Options
    If you can go through Brain Surgery you can lose a measly 40 pounds :) I would just start small. aim for adding exercise in daily even if it is walking for 15 min, and record all that you eat. You can do it!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You've already had great info on the healthy eating side. you use to do this, so you know How. You Can do it. What else changed? Well, you are saying there is a line in the sand... "After Surgery". Are you silently fighting depression? Are you sad with what has changed due to the surgery or the problem that the surgery was needed? Are you feeling down you can't be as independent since you can't drive? (depending on where you live, thats a pretty big deal).

What else is causing the 'why'? The good food would still taste the same. The bad food is still bad for you. Maybe you felt you were doing everything right and Still had a health issue so 'why bother'??? This happens a Lot when people fight an illness.

Good luck. We're all here behind you, and we all wish it would just Fall Off! But, we must make it, and we have the power to do so!!!!!!

Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
    Nancy
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since your surgery? You might be pushing yourself too soon. My husband had brain surgery and it took A LONG TIME for him to recover.

Also, you have to understand that this is your brain. Due to the surgery, your chemicals may be a bit unbalanced. I remember for a long time my husband had no desire to do anything but sit on the couch. He had no motivation to do anything at all and it was all because the chemicals in his brain were out of whack. That eventually went away as the brain healed.

If it's been a relatively short time since the surgery, then I say give yourself more time. Do things in smaller increments until your body is ready.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Action PRECEDES motivation. If you want to do it, "just do it", and the rewards will only grow your motivation. :) Good luck.

Or how about this, exercise has been shown to promote neurogenesis aka growth of new brain cells, and could help speed your recovery :)
  • MisszObrien
    Options
    I ask myself the Same Question Everyday its weird how you could want something so bad and yet cant reach it when its Free, not going to hurt you, healthy and all the other benefits ! Lets hope we can pull it together best of Luck to you as well !