1st day and already in the red.

Options
gosh! worst day EVER to start. took my grandson to a Walmart McDonald's for a planned supper. BIG mistake. i'm already 52 calories over my daily allotment! not good. not good, for sure. :(

Replies

• lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    1. Don't go to McDonalds!
    2. Don't give up :D
  • Cholbrook08
    Cholbrook08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad tomorrow is another day. I went 180 into the red myself.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    first tip is unlock your food diary so people know how to help you
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    52 cals is not over in my book. I would avoid mcdonalds if at all possible. Grab a subway. And then head over there if he is going to eat there. B
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had this same discussion with my nutritionist - she said that while this time of year is more common for red days, if you get used to tracking your calories no matter what, it makes getting back on track that much easier. If I were in your shoes, I would accept this as a tough day and resolve to do better tomorrow.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It takes a little practice and it's important to make those "mistakes" at the beginning so that you can get to know how many calories things are. The important part is that you are here and you're ready to do the work. Congrats on your first day!
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Look at it as a learning curve.. the experience has left you feeling bad about your choices.. you can make a more informed choice next time and smash it! Take a nice long walk/work out for a bit.. shift those extra calories! You can do it =)
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You will hit your groove soon enough. Plus going 50 calories over your goal is not bad at all.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Focus on the good side, you've made a start by joining MFP and logging so you have already passed the first hurdle. Just be honest with yourself and log every little thing. This way you can look back in a weeks time and make a few tweeks to your eating habits when you see where you can improve. Even one small step at a time will get you there in the end :)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    You just started, you can't expect yourself to be perfect straight away. It'll get better, don't be too hard on yourself and don't give up because of one day. These days happen. Anyways, ONLY 52 calories over? That's nothing!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Dude NEVER eat fast food, let alone McDonalds. That crap is just processed nothingness. Stay away from fast food in general. Either way, tomorrow is another day, don't get down on yourself.

Look up all the stuff that's wrong with fast food. What it's made of, what's in it, where it comes from etc. Bet it won't sound so appetizing. For starters, look up how McD's chicken nuggets are made :D..
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    52 calories over is not a big deal. Mcdonalds on your first day probably isn't a good choice, but don't sweat the small stuff.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Easy, spend 45 min vacuuming the house for a 76 calorie burn. :)
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    52 is not so bad! Have you thought about logging your meals a day ahead? This helps me a ton, I'm much less likely to eat impulsively. Not so much "oooooooooooo, THAT looks good."
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things 50 calories is nothing. Are you set to lose 2lbs a week? That's a deficit of 7000 calories a week. You are just starting out! During the Xmas season to boot! Cut yourself some slack!
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    When I'm red by dinner time, I just work out as much as I can before bed time. It's okay, 52 calories won't kill you-- it is still a deficit from your maintenance weight.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You just started, you can't expect yourself to be perfect straight away. It'll get better, don't be too hard on yourself and don't give up because of one day. These days happen. Anyways, ONLY 52 calories over? That's nothing!

This is what I would have said too. You are just starting, I would open your diary for others to see so they can make real comments to help. 52 cals over for the whole day is not too bad, but don't let it happen on a regular basis because then you are only kidding yourself.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    52 calories still puts you at a deficit for the day! Give yourself grace, breath deep, and keep going!!!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    gosh! worst day EVER to start. took my grandson to a Walmart McDonald's for a planned supper. BIG mistake. i'm already 52 calories over my daily allotment! not good. not good, for sure. :(

There's no such thing as failures! First rule here .. forgive yourself and start again tomorrow.

Also ..if this is your first time here, I suggest simply keeping track of your calories for a week or 2 .. just to see where you are compared to the goal MFP set up for you :happy:

Don't be worried about all the red days .. you need to know what or how it is you're used to eating and how to make changes that are reasonable for YOU .. Like it's been stated .. it's a learning curve.

Feel free to add me as a friend - I'd be happy to encourage you along your way :flowerforyou:
  • sskitka
    sskitka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Most important thing is for you to look objectively at the situation. You have good choices at McD's... Its all about your choices. 1st you made a great decision that today you would be mindful of the type and amount of food you consume in a day. I was way way way over but I never gave up cause this is a tool to help you look objectively at yourself. This is not good or bad this just is and whether you write it down or not you still ate it and if you care for yourself and want any hope of living a long healthy life you just simply must pay attention to what you put in your body. If you choose not to log something okay but you are only lying to yourself cause we all are here with a purpose. you will find alot of support on MFP if you want it. I hope this helps you see from a different perspective Thanks for Blogging. And Thanks for making today your first day no matter how over you were. Feel free to look at my diary I am not perfect but I log all I eat. MFP has helped me a lot to make mindful better choices for my body