Zumba

Options
I just found out that my gym offers Zumba classes on Saturday mornings from 10:15 - 11:15 and I have decided that I am going to get myself out of bed to get to these classes. I have heard such amazing things from women that are doing Zumba.

My only question is how do I log Zumba in my exercise log? How are the rest of you logging?
And if your making a custom workout for this class, about how many calories do you burn during a 1 hr. class?

I am 21, 158lbs, and 5'2 so if your close to that and could tell me how many you burn that might help me guesstimate.

Thanks!!
Have a blessed day.

Replies

• marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    There is an aerobic dancing choice that I used for it.
  • gadgetgizzmo
    Options
    My gym offers Zumba too and I have been thinking about trying it out.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am glad you asked that..I bought the kit and doing it at home. So I hope someone knows how to log it. I love doing
    Zumba!!
  • SydKaty
    SydKaty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist
    I just plugged in 45 minutes and it came up to 285 calories. I haven't taken the class yet (will try on Monday), so I cannot tell if that's accurate.
  • RMariaT
    RMariaT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

I take Zumba every Monday morning. I love it because it's dance moves and you really sweat.

I track it as aerobic which includes dancing. My class is 45 minutes and it's about 273 calories burned.

Have fun and much success
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    i just started doing zumba with a friend and it's a ton of fun! we use the dancing, aerobic, ballet, modern or twist to log it - and it burns quite a few calories - and it's a ton of fun! have a blast :)
  • czar1978
    czar1978 Posts: 83
    Options
    I track it as aerobic which includes dancing. My class is 45 minutes and it's about 273 calories burned.

I track my Zumba time the same way. However, I too have been wondering if this is accurate. Some women in my classes say they burn 700 calories or more in an hour! (Wouldn't that be wonderful? :love: ) No; I have not been wearing my HRM. Maybe I will do that tomorrow to see! I'll report on Monday (no Internet at home) if I remember to.
  • Reecie99
    Reecie99 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey, I added Zumba on the list of exercises. According to the Zumba website, you burn anywhere from 400 to 1,000 calories in an hour of zumba dancing., I entered 400 calories burned (the low end, since I'm not young and don't do all the jumping and jiving everyone else does.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun. I take the class twice a week. You're going to love it. I wear a heart rate monitor when I'm in class, and I only burn around 400 calories. The calories burned depends on the intensity level and, of course, your own body.
  • Reecie99
    Reecie99 Posts: 8
    Options
    By the way, I LOVE zumba. I go 2 or 3 times a week. It's fun,! It makes even old, fat people like myself feel like a dancer! it really burns the calories. I'm usually sweating big time five minutes into it!! It's expensive .... $5.00 a class down here .... but well worth it!!
  • RMariaT
    RMariaT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    700 calories would be great! I would do the class every day.:happy:
  • clairebear82
    Options
    I really want to do Zumba, but its not quite taken off on UK shores yet, there are pockets of classes but not enough in the right places :-(

I want to try it out first to then decide whether to buy the home set.
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    I teach Zumba...I was told during my training that you burn 800-1000 calories in an hour; however, I don't use that amount when I log my exercise on MFP. I log 400 calories for the hour-long class. It's really hard to determine exactly how much you burn because every workout is different and every body is different. I don't think I burn 800-1000 cals because that's equal to an hour and a half long run and I don't feel as though it's as physically demanding--most times, anyway!!!