Daily Calorie Deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• doulanik
    Options
    Just a guess here, but I think Nik is a woman.

Yes, I am a woman. :D The pic is of me and my hubby, so I think it's causing confusion. LOL

It is very possible that my trainer WAS talking about TDEE or that I misunderstood her. Honestly, I really have no idea what I'm doing here and I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can to make the healthiest lifestyle change possible. I have my MFP set to lose 2 lbs per week and that's what it told me to eat was 1230 daily. My trainer said 500 cal per day deficit, but she also said since I have so much weight to lose it would be ok to lose more than 1 lb a week. I'm not really sure what's going on. Maybe I should ask her again when I see her tomorrow...
  • jessilee9
    Options
    I am certainly not a pro at losing weight, but I have read that you take your BMR and through an equation; (based on your activity level) you multiply it by a certain figure.

Example if you lead a sedentary lifestyle, you multiply your BMR by 1.2 this will give you the calories to maintain your weight. Then you subtract the 500 calories from this total....1650x1.2=1980. 1980-500=1480. 1480 is what you should consume in a day. I hope this helps.

I just stumbled acrossed it because I have plateaued at 23lbs lost. Its been four weeks since I've lost so I have to get a new plan.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just a guess here, but I think Nik is a woman.

Yes, I am a woman. :D The pic is of me and my hubby, so I think it's causing confusion. LOL

It is very possible that my trainer WAS talking about TDEE or that I misunderstood her. Honestly, I really have no idea what I'm doing here and I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can to make the healthiest lifestyle change possible. I have my MFP set to lose 2 lbs per week and that's what it told me to eat was 1230 daily. My trainer said 500 cal per day deficit, but she also said since I have so much weight to lose it would be ok to lose more than 1 lb a week. I'm not really sure what's going on. Maybe I should ask her again when I see her tomorrow...

Are you paying the trainer, or is it a free service offered by your gym or whatever?

Sit down with her and ask HER all these questions. Don't be afraid to ask why or what then. Some people like to simply follow directions. Some people like to know why the trainer is making certain recommendations. You sound like the latter type, so ask questions.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what my actual deficit daily is. I'm a little confused on everything. MFP says I should eat 1230 daily and burn 2100 cal per week through exercise. My trainer did a body scan on me today and told me my BMR is 1650 (or close to that) and I should have a 500 cal per day deficit.

Today I burned 429 calories through exercise. How many calories should I have eaten today?

CHeck out the tdee calculations. If your BMR is that amount you still need more than that to maintain your weight. If you are completely sedetary (which most people aren't) your maintain calories would be just under 2000 cals a day meaning you have at least a 700 daily deficit just based on intake plus those you burn from workouts. You should do the calculations based on your lifestyle and go from there. The deficit from maintian cals for you to what you are actually eating plus not eating exercise cals back will be too much of a deficit.

Depending on how much you have left to lose 2lbs per week may be too high of a setting for MFP.