Question for professional trainers

Options
I am 24 years old and on a stimulant medication for ADHD which makes my resting heart rate higher than average, the ones I can remember off the top of my head are between 90 and 115. I asked my doctor if that means I have to get my heart rate higher than the average person does in order to engage a cardio work out (since I have been taking the medication for four years and I would think my body has grown accustomed to my resting heart rate being high) and she said that I wouldn't have to. However, my friend asked her boyfriend (a Marine) and he said since my body is used to the higher heart rate, in order to achieve a cardio work out, yes, I should bring my HR higher than the average person has to bring theirs to achieve a cardio work out.

I was hoping that someone on here has had some experience working with people on stimulant medications and could help me sort it out :)

Thanks in advance

Replies

• katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I really think you should listen to your medical professional in this case. Professional trainers nor marines were trained for this kind of information. If it would make you feel better you should get a second opinion from another doctor.
  • joyosplash
    Options
    I agree with the above. There is a reason doctors spend years and years in school....