weak joints... anyone else?

Options
Wasn't sure where this topic would best fit. I am 22, but I have the ankles of an 80 year old. I literally can not sprint across my house without severe pain or even falling flat on my face. Does anyone know of anything I can do to specifically strengthen my joints? I have plenty of leg muscle, so I'm not sure if it's a support issue or what the underlying cause is. I've also heard of a supplement called glucosamine chondroitin. Is this effective as a treatment or just preventative measure?

Replies

• wsucheergirl
    Options
    I had a doctor suggest the gluco chondro to me as well. If you choose to take it, it's something that takes months to have any effect. My dad takes it religiously and says that it has helped. He is able to do more activity without pain and for longer.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I would take that, just make sure it's a good quality. You could ask a pharmicist for advice. I take a chewable kind because I'm wimpy about swallowing pills.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Spend time (brushing your teeth, cooking, etc) standing on one foot at a time. Balancing this way will help strengthen your muscles/tendons/ligaments that control your ankle joint. Once you get better at it, do it with your eyes closed.
  • bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would try physical therapy --- it can work wonders for lots of issues, including strengthening specific areas of the body. Most insurance covers it.