PCOS - my non-excuse

Options
Hello. My name is Charnay. I've been battling my weight since about a year ago....I always set a goal. Last year it was summer. This year...it's basically the same. I struggle the most with self-control. I work in a restaurant with tons of calories ha! I've tried atkins...and realized how much I love my precious carbs. I recently discovered I have PCOS but I don't want to use it as an excuse. I've been thin before so I feel I've gotten lazy/ less active. I guess I'm hoping a community like this will help me. I need support because everyone around me tells me I don't need to lose!!!! I've gained 100lbs since high school and bordering morbidly obese according to my BMI. I'm just very skilled at hiding it I suppose. Anyways...I look forward to getting to know everyone here! I love puzzles, physics, and math. Just a random fact lol

Replies

• Tommy_Valentine
    Options
    I've only recently joined MFP but the community is definitely a great one! I'm sure you'll find a lot of support and motivation here.
  • sbretous
    Options
    Hi, My name is Sherley. I am fairly new to this community. But I love it. I am fairly competitive and so I enjoy competing with friends.

I also purchased a fitbit that has motivated me to stay active.

Good luck. Try setting small goals. Celebrate success. Forgive setbacks.
    Join a gym and find something that you like and can realistically commit too.
    I love spinning.

I know you can do it.
  • PandaMo
    PandaMo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Oh My Gah! I have PCOS too. All we need to do is excersize and eat healthier and we can beat it! I just recently started to get serious a week ago. I am not getting any younger so i am taking control! Can I add you so we can take this journey together? :)
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and while losing can be slow at times, losing weight is possible. I keep struggling with keeping the last few pounds off, but I refuse to give up. You can do it. :smile:
  • AllSonrisas
    Options
    Of course!!!!
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Dysfunction Uterine bleeding and all signs of PCOS, without the cysts. So I can totally understand what thats like. The one thing that works for me and makes me to continue to go on, is picking something that makes it worth it. My daughter. I can't always do it for myself. So I do it for her.
  • samzchevy
    samzchevy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :smile: I also have been diagnosed with PCOS--I just really started my journey! But I feel that im really motivated and can beat this overweight rut that Im in! :smile:
  • AllSonrisas
    Options
    Oh wow these responses are wonderful! I actually gave up the gym as my tight budget won't allow it, but I always search for workouts online. I've also considered overeaters anon ha...
  • jesslinn85
    Options
    I have PCOS also. I'm fairly new to MFP and exercising. Weight loss is a battle for me, but I'm motivated this time. Every Dr. I go to in an attempt to find out why I can't get pregnant says "lose weight" so we shall see! Good luck with your journey and we can do this! : )
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. It's a struggle but it can be done. Hang in there and stay on MFP!
  • nikongirl29
    nikongirl29 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    PCOS here too - I had lost 50 pounds before with doing just low carb, got pregnant, and gained that plus more back - so here it is almost 5 years later and I'm finally getting serious and sticking with it, only this time I'm just doing all around watching what I eat. It's a slower loss, but I feel like it's a more permanent loss.
  • Mcfatcat
    Options
    I don't want to use my PCOS as an excuse either. I'm so proud of myself for losing 5lbs so far. I realize if you have PCOS you can't just go back and forth, it needs to be a lifetime commitment.
  • jesslinn85
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansone DVDs. She has 2 walks on YouTube that I began with and her DVDs are 10$ at Wal-Mart. She's low impact also. And you can do it in the comfort of your home. : )
  • emmalauren02
    Options
    I am new as of YESTERDAY...and I also have PCOS. It's hard to lose, but it can be done! I've done it but just haven't stuck with what was working. I'm hoping that this will help and a new positive mind set, too! Good luck on your journey!
  • Ashleyr91
    Options
    Hi there! I have PCOS also (diagnosed at 16), and I have never used it as an excuse. I've lost a lot of weight already. It's more than possible. It's not as hard as you might think! All it takes is a little motivation and a lot of patience to do it the HEALTHY way. I think, just like with anyone else who doesn't have the added issues, will power is the hardest part. Once you master that, you'll be just fine.
  • skaimee
    skaimee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 yrs ago when trying to get pregnant. It's harder to lose weight and if you're like me carry it all in the middle. Good luck!
  • AllSonrisas
    Options
    Oh yes...all around my middle...lol...well at first...now it's pretty much everywhere. My double chin disgusts me. And I used to think I wanted big boobs and no I'd trade them for my full Cs any day!!! I'm so glad to see so many ladies with PCOS. I feel a sense of calm and a community of motivators! I'm going to do this!!!!
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS, always looking to support. If you need any tips/tricks/support, please feel free to add me! (: Good luck with your goals!
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    I have PCOS also. Been overweight since puberty. Tried weight watchers, slimgenics, always gave up. Not this time! So far I love mfp and will continue using it even after I hit my goal. Feel free to add me other pcos ladies=)
  • sally2303
    sally2303 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have PCOS as well as RA, it hampers but doesnt stop weight loss. Its all in the attitude - it will only stop you if you let it.

Goodluck xox
    Feel free to add me :)