Willpower help?

Options
Okay, so I have the willpower of water. For example, today i had a spanish exam online and I was majorly stressing. Normally, I bite my nails when im nervous, but thanks to previous exams in English 102, Developmental Psychology and Math 85 I've no longer have nails long enough to bite. Unfortunatly, we had more food in our kitchen than usual thanks to my moms promotion. We'd been in a tough spot so snacks were a fantasy in the house for a long time. But now our cabniet are full to bursting and my mother goes back and buys more stuff to keep us stock piled. I grabbed a bag of doritos, two mt dew cans and holed myself in my room to hit the exam. before I realized it, I'd chugged both cans of soda and three servings of doritios on top of my breakfast meal of three waffels and a mt dew and then a meal of mac and cheese, rolls and ham steak for dinner. Im not a fan of fruit and I can't stomach veggies, believe me, I've tried the eat better foods thing, but what good does it to get it down when you throw it up an hour later? Anyway, I need some help finding a way to put my foot down, to both my mind and my stomach. Willpower help anyone?

Replies

• slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Two things that help me are going over the reasons why I want to lose weight in my mind and drinking water or tea.
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I read something recently that says "you don't get will power, you make it." Simply, if it's truely important to you then you'll find a way to control yourself
  • dreamingmatthew
    dreamingmatthew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Willpower is something that we are only beginning to understand. I have been reading some books, and like you I think that a lack of willpower is the root of my problem. Everyone talks like willpower is something you just should have and say that if you don't have it it means you don't really want to do anything. But the truth is willpower is an expendable resource. If you use it all day on doing work stuff and unpleasant things, then you wont have anything left to develop new habits. I suggest Willpower by Roy Baumeister. Its give more technical info than advice, but it helped me work out a plan. Basically avoid things that burn your willpower, do tricks that increase your willpower (food diary's, reminders etc.), and start small.
    Once you develop a habit it costs no willpower to do it, so you can move on to the next habit. Good luck.