At home ab workouts

Options
Id like to gain some strength in my abs - I am not looking for something that will give me a 6 pack, I know that comes from the kitchen, this isnt about spot reduction

Im pretty well broke from christmas shopping and a recent trip I went on, so I dont have a gym pass, and wont get another til after the holidays. So Id like any suggestions for good ab strengthening workouts I can do at home. Either from dvds, or just exercise moves you like. If someone has suggestions for things around the house I can use for substitute weights to do weighted moves, Id like to hear those too. Thanks!

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Check out fitness blender on you tube
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My substitutes for weights normally come from the kitchen. A bag of flour, a sack of potatoes, a gallon of milk etc. You can very easily find out their weights and you normally have one or more of them around. Also, I joined fitocracy just because they have lists of exercises with how to do them AND make it easy to log them when you do. Fabulous.
  • iBluAcura
    iBluAcura Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    use filled water bottles! youtube workout videos!
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ab Ripper X from P90X, I hear you can find the actual full video online... hmm... but regardless you can definitely get a breakdown of what the whole routine is, any of the excersizes you're not sure of just youtube them, once you've gone through it a couple of times you'll have them memorized. It's a killer ab routine, takes about 16 minutes I think if I remember correctly
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I personally love doing crunches on my stability ball and plank exercises.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone enjoys them, but crunches and sit ups are what I've been mostly doing. I hold a 20lb dumbbell in my hands, keeping my arms straight and reach forward with it when I curl up and then extend it back above my head when back flat on the ground. It ends up being one fluid motion for each. I also twist left/right then center as 1 crunch/sit up. Swapping between crunches and sit ups doing those seems to help work slightly different areas.

***Obviously the weight of the dumbbell needs to be something you're comfortable with. It's to add some resistance to your core, not to strain your arms and the last thing you want to do is drop it on your face/chest....
  • peasta_nana
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/user/toneitupcom

their workouts are amazing!
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Check out Blogilates on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates

I watch her videos a lot and she has some great ab videos, so if you don't mind an adorable, high energy woman coaching you through workouts to pop music (I usually just tune out the background music. :)) then look through all her videos and I am sure you will find something you like. I have noticed a big difference in my abs just from doing Pilates - specifically from the abs and oblique work outs.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Ab Ripper X from P90X, I hear you can find the actual full video online... hmm... but regardless you can definitely get a breakdown of what the whole routine is, any of the excersizes you're not sure of just youtube them, once you've gone through it a couple of times you'll have them memorized. It's a killer ab routine, takes about 16 minutes I think if I remember correctly

I did that tonight, I found it on youtube. Its doesnt show the real video, but you can hear it playing in the background and watch a man doing the moves in his living room.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    I personally love doing crunches on my stability ball and plank exercises.

Definetly! I used to have one, dont know what happened to it, but I loved doing ab workouts with it. On my list to get a new one.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Options
    My substitutes for weights normally come from the kitchen. A bag of flour, a sack of potatoes, a gallon of milk etc. You can very easily find out their weights and you normally have one or more of them around. Also, I joined fitocracy just because they have lists of exercises with how to do them AND make it easy to log them when you do. Fabulous.

Good idea for substitue weights. Thanks!

ETA: And thanks everyone else. I will check out those youtube channels and such tmr.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bump