I've reached my Christmas goal - what???

Options
Okay, I feel kinda awkward posting this, but I had to. Never thought I would - but here I go...

I "accidentally" realised that I've actually reached the goal I set for myself three months ago; being at below 150 lbs and way more fit by our Christmas party. Haven't really had those particular thoughts in my head during my process but when I thought about it last night, it came to me that hey, I've done it! Reached my next to last goal!

Well, actually I was here last year as well - and that shames me. I gained back almost 20 lbs during spring - and that was just because I went too fast and didn't focus on being able to continue long-term with what I was doing. This year I've started intermittent fasting and strength training and that's been what I truly needed.

No, I didn't write this to get at pat on the back because I've done good (okay, okay that too... :tongue: ) - I've also got a question for you:

- Have you had your goal clearly in sight and known where you were on the way to it - or have you been like me, almost completely unaware of the fact that you've actually come that far???
I try on clothes in size 8 to find them too large (and I have been a 10 for quite some time) - and I didn't realise that it's because I've changed my body composition before someone pointed out to me that I'm not really that large a size..

Now I have one last goal: Getting to 130-135 lbs, losing belly fat and getting some more muscle here and there, maybe being comfortable enough in my own skin to wear a biniki without a t-shirt and shorts. And I hope I'll remember this feeling of awe and not just blindly seeing that I've got a way to go before I'm "there" - wherever "there" may be. And all the time being happy that I'm where I'm at RIGHT NOW - and not where I started at 215 lbs or more three years ago!

Looking back is just so important to see where we've been and where we've come to be right now, not just looking forward towards something that may come!

You've actually made it through my babbling - congrats! :flowerforyou:
I hope you answer me, because I really wonder how you all think when you choose your goal and strive for it?
Have a super day! :smile:

Replies

• obwize
    obwize Posts: 102
    Options
    My goals don't have as much to do with weight loss as just being more healthy. So I track things like how much I move a day and what I eat not necessarily to have a deficit, but to ensure that I'm consistently moving and not eating enough to gain weight. I would like to lose weight, but if I stayed a size 10 I will not be disappointed.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My goals don't have as much to do with weight loss as just being more healthy. So I track things like how much I move a day and what I eat not necessarily to have a deficit, but to ensure that I'm consistently moving and not eating enough to gain weight. I would like to lose weight, but if I stayed a size 10 I will not be disappointed.
    Do you have a long-term goal that's more specific?
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I had a christmas goal that i've gone past already. I always pass goals and dont realise until afterwards!

I think its because im enjoying the journey just as much as the results. In fact i'm barely gauging the weight results now and even forget to weigh in on my specific day.
  • glyncoco
    glyncoco Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think my goals have adjusted with me the longer I have been losing weight. When I started, I didn't really know where I wanted to end up or how many pounds I would have to lose to look the way I wanted. So I picked pretty arbitrarily. I hit the number goal, but also started thinking during the last few months about what my lifestyle looked like for maintenance. So I slowed down, worked on forming habits I could sustain even while busy (making my lunch in advance, building in time a few times a week to work out) and transitioned to more fitness-oriented goals. I still definitely care about the number on the scale, but successes at the gym and planning for a 5K with friends in the spring get me just as excited. Good luck and great job reaching your goal!!
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    I had a christmas goal that i've gone past already. I always pass goals and dont realise until afterwards!

I think its because im enjoying the journey just as much as the results. In fact i'm barely gauging the weight results now and even forget to weigh in on my specific day.
    That's great! I do weigh in, several times a week (would prefer more seldom but.. it will come..) but still don't realise that I'm getting there.

I think that it's very good as you say; you enjoy the journey and not just focus on the goal. Way to go :smile:
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    I think my goals have adjusted with me the longer I have been losing weight. When I started, I didn't really know where I wanted to end up or how many pounds I would have to lose to look the way I wanted. So I picked pretty arbitrarily. I hit the number goal, but also started thinking during the last few months about what my lifestyle looked like for maintenance. So I slowed down, worked on forming habits I could sustain even while busy (making my lunch in advance, building in time a few times a week to work out) and transitioned to more fitness-oriented goals. I still definitely care about the number on the scale, but successes at the gym and planning for a 5K with friends in the spring get me just as excited. Good luck and great job reaching your goal!!
    Thank you :happy: and good luck to you too!
    I started out without having specific goals too, but I did need something to work towards as I started to see results. My first goal was to make some changes, and I could not set a time related goal nor a weight related one as I was truly clueless.

Maybe I should also try to work towards maintenance along with my bikini goal (that sounds icky though but it's really just about liking myself :wink: ) - then I won't crash and burn like I did the last time.
  • Tamefearnua
    Options
    Okay, I feel kinda awkward posting this, but I had to. Never thought I would - but here I go...

I "accidentally" realised that I've actually reached the goal I set for myself three months ago; being at below 150 lbs and way more fit by our Christmas party. Haven't really had those particular thoughts in my head during my process but when I thought about it last night, it came to me that hey, I've done it! Reached my next to last goal!

Well, actually I was here last year as well - and that shames me. I gained back almost 20 lbs during spring - and that was just because I went too fast and didn't focus on being able to continue long-term with what I was doing. This year I've started intermittent fasting and strength training and that's been what I truly needed.

No, I didn't write this to get at pat on the back because I've done good (okay, okay that too... :tongue: ) - I've also got a question for you:

- Have you had your goal clearly in sight and known where you were on the way to it - or have you been like me, almost completely unaware of the fact that you've actually come that far???
    I try on clothes in size 8 to find them too large (and I have been a 10 for quite some time) - and I didn't realise that it's because I've changed my body composition before someone pointed out to me that I'm not really that large a size..

Now I have one last goal: Getting to 130-135 lbs, losing belly fat and getting some more muscle here and there, maybe being comfortable enough in my own skin to wear a biniki without a t-shirt and shorts. And I hope I'll remember this feeling of awe and not just blindly seeing that I've got a way to go before I'm "there" - wherever "there" may be. And all the time being happy that I'm where I'm at RIGHT NOW - and not where I started at 215 lbs or more three years ago!

Looking back is just so important to see where we've been and where we've come to be right now, not just looking forward towards something that may come!

You've actually made it through my babbling - congrats! :flowerforyou:
    I hope you answer me, because I really wonder how you all think when you choose your goal and strive for it?
    Have a super day! :smile:

Miss Pepper have you being using your MAGIC again
  • glyncoco
    glyncoco Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Totally understand! Living with more of a focus on maintenance has been pretty difficult, but I'm slowly learning to trust myself. I've also felt the most proud with measuring inches instead of the pounds. My body changed the most once I started incorporating more strength training and running, even when I was eating more/staying the same weight. So get your bikini body! I'm not there yet either, but I might be by summertime :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I hit my (fairly arbitrary) goal last January, and have found maintenance is harder! I've been fairly static over the year mainly due to a couple of big blips that have taken some working down from. I've added an extra 7lbs to my goal to give me something to focus on, but really want to work on reducing fat (tummy and %) and increasing strength and fitness. Because for me it's always been about living, about feeling fit and strong, keeping up with the kids much more than about a number on a scale or a label. However keeping the greedy girl within at bay is a constant battle, so having targets helps focus that!
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    Miss Pepper have you being using your MAGIC again
    .... how do you know about my magic.... hmmm....
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    Totally understand! Living with more of a focus on maintenance has been pretty difficult, but I'm slowly learning to trust myself. I've also felt the most proud with measuring inches instead of the pounds. My body changed the most once I started incorporating more strength training and running, even when I was eating more/staying the same weight. So get your bikini body! I'm not there yet either, but I might be by summertime :)
    We'll get there :happy:
    Maintenance is still kinda scary, I must say... I saw what happened when I just let go and I'm not going there again. My mindset has been on losing for so long, I must probably fail and err for a while before I find my maintenance level.
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    I hit my (fairly arbitrary) goal last January, and have found maintenance is harder! I've been fairly static over the year mainly due to a couple of big blips that have taken some working down from. I've added an extra 7lbs to my goal to give me something to focus on, but really want to work on reducing fat (tummy and %) and increasing strength and fitness. Because for me it's always been about living, about feeling fit and strong, keeping up with the kids much more than about a number on a scale or a label. However keeping the greedy girl within at bay is a constant battle, so having targets helps focus that!
    It seems like we're very much in the same situation. I like your comment on "the greedy girl inside" - it's just like I feel it! Maybe I'll always need targets, then it'll be so. I hope I'll find my way too - thanks for the tip :smile:
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I had a goal of losing 10 pounds by Christmas--I'm already down 19! Didn't even realize it til this morning when I checked in with a group goal. Hit me like a ton of bricks--and now I can't stop smiling :)
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Im still a fair way to get there. I think ill aim for new year instead.
    Must be great to be feeling healthy
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    I had a goal of losing 10 pounds by Christmas--I'm already down 19! Didn't even realize it til this morning when I checked in with a group goal. Hit me like a ton of bricks--and now I can't stop smiling :)
    That's great! Amazing how blind we can be to our own progress. But great when we see it :smile: :happy:
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Im still a fair way to get there. I think ill aim for new year instead.
    Must be great to be feeling healthy
    It's great. No less.
    If you've only got 4 kgs more to lose, we're got about the same. You must feel great too???
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

That's actually three goals and plenty to live up to. I am at your goals of 1, 2 and 3 and let me tell you, it ain't easy. I question my motivation every day. I am at a healthy weight but I am not fit. I am not losing weight as I did at first. I have to PUSH myself into the last, final goal because it's easier for me to settle. For some reason, I don't feel like settling this time. I think it is MFP that has kept me going. Peer pressure works.
  • MissPeppers
    Options
    That's actually three goals and plenty to live up to. I am at your goals of 1, 2 and 3 and let me tell you, it ain't easy. I question my motivation every day. I am at a healthy weight but I am not fit. I am not losing weight as I did at first. I have to PUSH myself into the last, final goal because it's easier for me to settle. For some reason, I don't feel like settling this time. I think it is MFP that has kept me going. Peer pressure works.
    You're right, of course. That's three goals. AND it's one goal as it's the same process but getting fit is my main one, and not settling is of major importance! And yes, "peer pressure" works - just looking at pics of other women getting fit makes me want to do just the same and it keeps me going.

I think I might add another goal to my list; a goal that'll stick no matter if I'm maintaining, losing or just being - keep logging in to MFP and get motivation to go on! :flowerforyou:
  • slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success!

My initial goal was 5lbs higher than my current goal - it seems to be a moving target. I'd like to lose that last 10lbs and be a little lighter than I was when I got married. That said, I have a 'secret' goal of getting to the weight I was in high school, about 10 more lbs; that's probably not reasonable. I'm happy w/ my progress - 25lbs lost, but am at a plateau and discouraged right now.

I had an NSV when I accidentally put on a pair of pants that was a size 10 - I thought they were different black pants instead of the goal pants I bought; it was early in the morning and I wasn't exactly awake yet. I struggled w/ the zipper - not because of my girth but because it was one of those zippers that went through the waist band. When I realized I had these size 10 pants on I was amazed - didn't end up keeping them on because they were a bit too snug for my comfort.

One of the issues that I have is that people are saying 'wow you lost some weight' and that I shouldn't lose any more... I'm 5'9" and 161 right now - by New Years I'd like to be 155 or lower. Its hard w/ the holiday parties etc. but It would be great to get there before then!

All the posts from MFP folks are SO inspirational. I lurk here and am amazed by the wonderful journeys that we're all going through. Thank you all for being so generous and sharing your stories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!