low carb

Options
Hi i'm new here, is anyone on a low carb diet? I have been on one for a week now and my weight is going up down, I don't understand, i'm about to eat a nice big chocolate cake I can't take it, I stopped everything, even that beer on my birthday I didn't drink, does your period have anything to do with it?

Replies

• drury211
    Options
    Hi there

I am currently on a Low Carb, HIgh Protein diet, are you eating enough calories?
  • pinkupooh
    Options
    I just don't like eggs so much in the morning, so every morning I end up breaking my "eating low carb" desire and then eat carbs rest of the day since I didn't start it in morning... please share some good veg high protein b'fast items with me.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When you count your carbs make sure you are only counting the grain and fruit carbs. Eat all the veggies you want as long as they aren't starchy.

Choose lean meats and watch your cheese consumption.
  • dbarrett30
    Options
    I am also doing a low carb plan because I am incredibly sensitive to gluten, sugar, wheat, etc. (Grrr!)
    You may want to start in the morning with a low carb breakfast shake. They are filling and quick to make. You can buy them pre-made (ex. Atkins shakes), but I prefer to make my own with whey protein, berries, and skim milk. Mind you, that's 'high carb' for the day. The rest of the day you should be consuming lean meats (chicken, fish, turkey) and veggies that are low on the glycemic index.

Even though I'm not on Atkins per se, I find their web site to be very helpful with their list of acceptable food items. You'll find a lot of low carb veggies, etc there. Lots of salads with lean protein and full fat dressing versus low fat. Remember, you can't mix programs or you won't see results.

At this point, you're trying to get into fat burning mode and if you're getting too many net carbs per day, your weight will go up and down rather than systematically go down.

Message me if you have questions. It's worked for me and I'm always sated.

Best wishes.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My question is: are you eating low carb or no carb? I am on low carb due to diabetes. But I have oatmeal for breakfast every day. It is the highest carb thing I eat all day, but it gets my day started better. If I eat a low/no carb breatfast (eggs, meat) my blood sugar is higher at the 2 hr mark than when I eat the oatmeal. I also found that weaning myself down worked better than going cold turkey. Many times people shooting for low carb end up eating high fat, so you have to really watch your macros.

Connie S
  • jolynn42
    jolynn42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am new here as well...this is my 2nd week of tracking...trying to stay low carb, eat more fruits and vegis and protein. Can someone tell me a number to watch for as a total? i track it in my diary and just trying to figure that out. Can't say i have lost much which is a little frustrating...but i will continue to work out and track and see what the next week brings...any help would be great!
  • Brutus13
    Options
    I used to stress out about this all the time, for even when I was adhering to a strict diet, my weight would skyrocket on my period. Apparently that is normal (upwards to a five pound "gain" due to that time of the month). I don't even weight myself on my period because the number will send me through the roof!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, 50 to 100 grams a day carbs. For maintenance, 100 to 150. Make sure you eat your proteins, veggies and fats.
  • drury211
    Options
    It all depends on what you daily calorie intake should be as well, with P90x it tells you to work your daily card/protein/fat in to a %.

For the first phase my intake is like this...

Daily Calories= 1750
    Carbs= 30% or 131g
    Fat= 20% or 39g
    Protien=50% or 219g
  • lydiawilt
    lydiawilt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently aiming for a low carb (88g per day), high protein diet. My wellness (fitness coach) has also told me to eat 99 grams of protein per day to maintain muscle while trying to lose. So far I have had wonderful results. When eating low carb and high protein I am finding that all of my food choices need to be high quality. Using myfitnesspal has also helped me to realise that I need to take a step back from fruit! The sugar content is too high compared to vegatables. Planning my meals, prior to eating them will hopefully keep me within my MFP goals:)
    :happy:
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm new here, is anyone on a low carb diet? I have been on one for a week now and my weight is going up down, I don't understand, i'm about to eat a nice big chocolate cake I can't take it, I stopped everything, even that beer on my birthday I didn't drink, does your period have anything to do with it?

First off- NO EATING CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!!

Just because you aren't seeing what you want on the scale does not justify indulging in a piece of cake, especially week 1. You need to be ACCOUNTABLE for the food you eat, so if you cheat, OWN IT!, move on, and start again. DO NOT JUSTIFY EATING BAD BECASUE OF THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE OR YOUR PERIOD.

Yes, your period will add a few lbs to the scale, but they will go away as long as you stay on track. Please think about your choice before you make them, if you want to succeed, you must own your actions!
  • drury211
    Options

First off- NO EATING CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!!

Just because you aren't seeing what you want on the scale does not justify indulging in a piece of cake, especially week 1. You need to be ACCOUNTABLE for the food you eat, so if you cheat, OWN IT!, move on, and start again. DO NOT JUSTIFY EATING BAD BECASUE OF THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE OR YOUR PERIOD.

Yes, your period will add a few lbs to the scale, but they will go away as long as you stay on track. Please think about your choice before you make them, if you want to succeed, you must own your actions!

Very true!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so it's hard to say for sure.

A few off-the-cuff thoughts.

1) Are you sure you're logging/measuring correctly?
    2) Are you at a reasonable daily calorie goal?
    3) Have you taken any measurements, or going simply by the scale?
    4) It's only been a week. Patience is CRUCIAL!
  • tcleavinger
    tcleavinger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes I am eating low carb. It's normal to have serious cravings. You have been weaning off that junk your body has been taking in. It does work:) period does cause that. Also look at what you've eaten recently. Have you indulged in jut a little piece of sweets? A person has an addiction to sweets and carbs just like alcahol or drugs. Just one taste will sometime send you craving more. I learned this was true very quickly. Also fruit has to much sugar in it. Some veggies do as well. Corn and potatoes is a good exams if this. Try to stick to greens. And good luck our emotions also run amuck when before during and after period, emotions has a lot to do with it as well. Don't give up. Drink a tall glass of water with some sugar free drink mix. That will help curb it a little.