Arctic Dash- how do I dress for this???

Options
My sister in law, friend and I have decided to participate in this Arctic Dash in December. Yes, we are crazy!!!! Not exactly sure what we were thinking when we signed up, but it is happening in less than 4 weeks. EEEEK!

How should I dress for this? I was thinking long yoga type pants, long sleeves, hat and gloves. It is an outdoor, 2.5 mile obstacle run with the option of going through water to reduce your time. We are in Ohio.

Replies

• mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    thats crazy i'd say parka and snow pants but that just me i don't like cold gloomy weather and snow yuke

just looked up on net look like fun good luck

The Arctic Dash is a 4k race with 12-15 obstacles. Obstacles will include but are not limited to: Ravine Climbing, Trail Running​, Obstacle Hurdling​, Mud Crawling​, and Maze Navigation

Challenges:

- Steeplechase

- Human Toaster

- Battle of the Somme

- Mineshaft

- Sherwood Forest

- Tire Trudge

- Polar Bear Traverse

- Up 'N' Out

- Go Toward the Light

- No Way Out

- Lemming Drop

- Dragon's Breath warming stations throughout course
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Maybe under armor thermals or something similar to stay warm underneath?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Some compression tights or good quality thermals that will breathe with shorts and t-shirt over the top. Definitely gloves. Maybe do some running in this gear before the day so you can check that you are comfortable and not going to get hot (is that ever a possibility? :smile: )
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Holy cow!!!! I would avoid the water altogether - that's downright dangerous if it's below freezing. I did a 5k obstacle race last night and it was in low 40s. Wear warm socks. My running shoes are mesh uppers and my feet were still freezing. I work knee high socks too for add warmth. Then long running bottoms. I wear moisture wicking boot cut because I hate the leg-hugging variety. Then over my sports bra, I had several layers I could peel off if needed. 1st a racer-back tank top, then a long sleeve t-shirt, then my moisture wicking running jacket, finally a lightweight fleece. I was still cold waiting at some of the slower obstacles that held runners up (stood in line for 20 minutes freezing).
    At the marathon I did, they did the same thing - strippable layers and the biggest advice is get it from a thrift shop so you can just throw it aside and now worry about picking it up. Sweatshirts, long sleeve t-shirts, all those are easy to find at Goodwill.
    Another cold weather essential for you might be gloves and something on your head. I have a fleece headband to cover my ears, but many people just wear a knit or fleece cap instead.
    Hope that helps!!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Oh and possibly something on your head
  • jenjarvi
    jenjarvi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing this event also.

This could get interesting!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Well, frankly, the less you wear the better. Nothing worse than trying to run or stay warm in wet, heavy, cold, muddy clothes. If you plan to do any of the swims, then you want light weight attire. If you are going to get muddy, then you want less material for mud to cling to.

Just do it as fast as you can and get warm as soon as you can afterwards.

Have a blast and good luck!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am registered for this too! I am going with compression shorts and knee high socks I am wearing a long sleeve tee that says celebrating 365 days of not smoking
  • jenjarvi
    Options
    I am registered for 9am. Not sure what I am wearing yet.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you opt to go through the water, wear a wetsuit under your clothing to keep your core dry and warm, then cover that with some heavy winter grade yoga/running pants and a heavy, longsleeved t shirt and a vest/jacket of some sort. On your feet, wear a couple layers of socks and some all weather hiking/climbing boots.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds cold but you can do anything for 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't stress it too much.
  • jenjarvi
    Options
    I am thinking about going up there beforehand to scope out the terrain. There are obstacles traversing the lake and pond. You could potentially stay dry-ish if you don't fail the obstacle.

The water traversing obstacles are NOT required but provide shortcut.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    so what's the plan? Should we all meet at the corner gas station and go in together?