Anti hunger meal plans?

Options
heres a calorie plan i highly recommend to anyone trying to loose weight while staying full (tried EVERYTHING)
breakfast - 300 calories
EX: one egg yolk with four egg whites scrambled- 3 pieces turkey bacon on the side - toast with sugar free jam (290)
snack - under 200 calorie
EX: large banana or other filling fruit (40-120)
lunch: 300 calories
EX: large tuna n spinage salad wth greek yogurt based dressing (200-350)
snack: 200 calories
ex: healthy choice vegetable soup (180 for two cups)
dinner: 300 calories
ex: vegetable and tofu stir fry with soy sauce (200-350)
(optional.) 200 fun calories so you dont loose your mind!
EX: 1 cup chocolate frozen yogurt (180)

Replies

• MikeDempsey44
    Options
    I've found that eating a lot of small meals/snacks is a good way to go also. Protein is filling. When I started to make sure I got 25% or more calories from protein, I was all of a sudden hitting my calorie goal much easier each day.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think eating lots of small meals takes the pain out of losing weight. If you do it with lots of lean proteins and low glysemic carbs you probably won't get over hungry and over eat. (At least it works for me)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat tat way occasionally, but it's likely deficient in nutrients - I don't see healthy fats, enough fruits and vegetables nor the full rainbow of colours, the recommended servings of dairy or enough suitable alternatives. Both calcium and long chain omega-3s are important nutrients in weight management.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat tat way occasionally, but it's likely deficient in nutrients - I don't see healthy fats, enough fruits and vegetables nor the full rainbow of colours, the recommended servings of dairy or enough suitable alternatives. Both calcium and long chain omega-3s are important nutrients in weight management.

I'm not entirely sure what you're basing that assessment on. From what I can see, looking at the OP, that meal plan is probably high in all of those things.

But let's examine this day, on order of your concerns. Omega-3 fatty acids are present in the tuna in her tuna salad and possibly her eggs if she purchased a fortified brand. Depending on the jam chosen, both it and the first snack are packed with fruity goodness, including vitamins and filling fiber. The salad, second snack, and dinner all contain at least one serving of vegetables, probably closer to two. As for calcium, well:

Firm Tofu, as used for stir-fry contains 227 mg of calcium per half-cup serving. That's 22% of your DV in just one component of a single meal and doesn't even take into account the calcium benefits of spinach, yogurt-dressing, and frozen yogurt, or of any of the other foods that she may eat in a day.
  • Firefox7275
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what you're basing that assessment on. From what I can see, looking at the OP, that meal plan is probably high in all of those things.

But let's examine this day, on order of your concerns. Omega-3 fatty acids are present in the tuna in her tuna salad and possibly her eggs if she purchased a fortified brand. Depending on the jam chosen, both it and the first snack are packed with fruity goodness, including vitamins and filling fiber. The salad, second snack, and dinner all contain at least one serving of vegetables, probably closer to two. As for calcium, well:

Firm Tofu, as used for stir-fry contains 227 mg of calcium per half-cup serving. That's 22% of your DV in just one component of a single meal and doesn't even take into account the calcium benefits of spinach, yogurt-dressing, and frozen yogurt, or of any of the other foods that she may eat in a day.

Basing it on being qualified to degree level in more than one healthcare discipline and having worked in lifestyle healthcare for many years, assessing many rough and detailed eating plans. You can guesstimate portion size from the calorie allowances and have an idea of whether there is likely to be enough nutrients. When you are dieting or exercising the body has increased requirements for many nutrients.

There is no DHA/ EPA to speak of in canned tuna because they are lost during the cooking and canning process. If you want omega-3s choose canned salmon, pilchards/ sardines, mackerel or fresh tuna. A solitary egg yolk contains little o-3s (200-250 milligrams) when from an enriched egg, by contrast in canned mackerel there are 5 grams of o-3s per 100 grams so twenty times as much! Omega-3s are essential fatty acids, a subset of the healthy fats I actually raised concerns over if you read my post properly. Healthy fats include those from olives, avocados, nuts, seeds, cocoa, possibly coconut.

I seriously hope you are joking about jam counting as fruit, there is no way you could get a serving without being massively over on the recommended sugar intake or a huge dose of artificial sweeteners (note than many natural sugar free brands simply use fruit syrup which is not dissimilar to high fructose corn syrup). Bananas are healthy but surprisingly poor on nutrient density - vitamins/ minerals/ antioxidants per calorie - also it is white so not adding to the green/ yellow/ orange/ red requirements. We should be eating at least nine servings a day or so in the full rainbow of colours including blue/ purple - that means berries, black grapes, eggplant or heirloom root vegetables (purple potatoes/ purple carrots). Without sufficient healthy fats in the diet some nutrients may not be absorbed.

You have erroneously assumed I am only concerned about calcium intake and not other vitamins and minerals. I am well aware of tofu, thank you, but it's a heck of a lot of green veggies to make up the shortfall, very very few people will eat that in a leafy salad. Weigh it - even 100g is only 10-15% of daily needs for calcium and that is a massive soup plateful. Again I hope you are joking about yoghurt dressing and ice cream, consider the diluents/ additives and portion size. Many frozen desserts are stuffed with sugar or artificial sweeteners and whipped to incorporate air which has no nutrients at all. Micronutrients are by weight not volume: four ounces of plain unadulterated yoghurt contains ~20% of calcium RDA.
  • Gramps251
    Options

Food choices are up to the individual. I was just discussing the concept of many small meals spread throughout the day. It's up to each of us to make up our own mind about the content of those meals.

In a perfect world we'd all eat a well balanced, nutritional diet but for weight loss purposes you only need a calorie deficit.
  • Firefox7275
    Options
    Food choices are up to the individual. I was just discussing the concept of many small meals spread throughout the day. It's up to each of us to make up our own mind about the content of those meals.

My initial post was aimed at the OP not you, that is why I didn't quote you and commented on the plan itself. I actively encourage my nutrition clients to eat little and often.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    you can look at my diary if you would like, I don't get hungry
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    I've found that raw or lightly steamed veggies fill me up quite well and I don't have to limit them like I do some other things! Adding greens with lunch and dinner and some has worked for me.
  • Gramps251
    Options
    you can look at my diary if you would like, I don't get hungry

Is your diary open? I don't see it.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I like larger meals. . . I've tried the small meal thing and I was always hungry. I do a large breakfast (eggs and vege sausage), snack of a piece of fruit, large salad for lunch, and some steamed veges for dinner, and some nuts for a snack if needed. The protein, fruits, and veges keep me full and allow me to eat more. I do have a cheat day every week so I don't go insane. :tongue:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 5 or 6 meals every day. I still do snack lots out of habit. But I have discovered the concept of just three meals actually being quite alright and I like to do this sometimes because I find it saves time, and there is less planning and thinking and it's easier to stay within my calorie allowance. Btw I love to mix Greek yogurt with hot mustard to use as a dip with my salad:)