What have I done?!?! AHHH...Water Weight!

Options
I am trying so hard not to turn this frustration in on myself.

It was my sister's birthday yesterday, we went out for lunch at our favorite Chinese spot. Egg rolls, soup, fried rice, all of it. So good.

Hop on the scale today (against my better judgement) and up close to 4 pounds! :explode: :angry:

Now I know it's water weight, but doesn't help the fact that I'm really angry at myself.

Angry and sad and just want to crawl back into bed!

Replies

• AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    hahah i know how you feel.. i just hit under 150 lbs when i got on the scale before my 4 days off of work last week.. then get on the scale the next day of work and up to 153 :( water weight's a b****
  • JeffinRaleigh
    Options
    You let go and let loose for a meal, and I'm sure your sister enjoyed spending time with you on her special day.

Today is a new day, filled with new possibilities. :smile:
  • rdow2006
    Options
    Everyone has a "omy goodness that looks so good' moment that you give in AND at 167lbs lost you deserve to eat things you usually don't on occasion. YOUR right it is water weight and you will soon lose it again. Dont beat yourself up you have done an amazing job at 167lbs lost and that is truly amazing!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Life's too short to feel guilty about eating delicious food. Get back on the horse, drink extra water, and chillax. It will come off again within the week. I regularly fluctuate by 5 lbs thanks to water weight.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about it. WIth all the sodium you ate you can't expect the scale not to increase. It isn't fat weight so I wouldn't stress over it.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I control water weight with Midol. It has a diuretic that helps you pee out excess water. Then I'm not freaking out quite so much :P
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, Chinese food is packed with salt, so you hold even more water weight. Keep drinking water and flush all that out and it will go right back down in about 2 days time. ;)
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You've lost 167lbs!!! You should know by now that 4 lbs in a day means nothing!!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, Chinese food is packed with salt, so you hold even more water weight. Keep drinking water and flush all that out and it will go right back down in about 2 days time. ;)

^^This. Increased water is only taken in when you have *changes* in salt intake, so going from relatively average diet with a modest amount of sodium to SALT ON EVERYTHING CHINESE FOOD HOR HOR HOR!! will make your body hold onto more water to keep the salt/water ratios in your body correct =)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why are you angry? If you were on plan (in calories, etc.) then what's the problem? You know it's the sodium and will work it's way out of your system. It isn't fat you gained.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    Right there with you! Gained 2 pounds in water weight after a delicious (and sodium packed) lunch yesterday. It's totally frustrating but it will come off :smile: Pound the water and keep your head up!! Your doing great!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have gained 10 pounds water weight from 1 Chinese food binge as well. It takes about a week or so to flush all of it out. Drink lots of water and tea. A really good sweat will get rid of some as well.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! I had a FEAST on Thanksgiving this year, and then the day after I had another feast on Chinese food from two different restaurants because we were doing a comparison test, haha. And I didn't hold back...at all. I weighed myself the next morning, and I was up 3.5 lbs which I completely expected. Got back to normal, and after three days it was all gone, plus another half of a pound. It was totally worth it, but I know that will only happen VERY rarely. It's just nice to know that I can have days like that once in a while and it won't undo everything. No problem! It was delish, now get back to your normal routine and it will fall right off!
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Try not to be discouraged. A little fluctuation is normal and it's only temporary. Just drink some extra water the next couple of days and watch your calories. You'll be back where you were before you know it. Your results are stellar! Don't beat yourself up over a splurge. You have to enjoy yourself.
  • jayhawkfan51
    jayhawkfan51 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I literally can not eat chinese food (even though I love it and crave it all the time) without gaining weight. Based on the fact that you have lost 167lbs, Im guessing you know what to do and will lose those few pounds in no time. Dont let it get the best of you! Water water water, then sweat, sweat, sweat!
    Best of luck!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Eh don't worry about it, I am salt sensitive so the scale is torture for me. When I eat Chinese food I can go up 10 pounds easy. Don't worry, you know its water so that alone should make you happy.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Chinese

There's your problem - commercial Chinese food tends to be 95% salt and 5% meat. Notice how thirsty you are after visiting such a restaurant?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    UGH!!! I know exactly how you feel. I went to weigh in this week and knew I'd be up because I was bloated, but from looking at my journal, couldn't figure out what was going on. After I weighed in - and was sulking for the rest of the day trying to figure it out - TOM hit that evening. I know it's water weight but it's still frustrating.

Can't wait until next Monday's weigh in though.....numbers ought to be more back to normal!
  • SirEager
    Options
    When my clients tell me there going to cheat I make sure that they increase there water intake and not skip any meals.

My program is a huge believer in eating 6 times a day since it controls blood sugar, hunger, and trains people to eat smaller portions. If you skip a meal you can start the blood sugar roller coaster ride leads to weight gain.

Water is great for flushing your system, cleaning your bowls, and helping your body process all your food, and giving you something to drink. As your body often confuses thirst with hunger.

I know this is not exactly in response to your post. Just blaming water weight is an over simplification.

www.facebook.com/michaelegerhealthcoach
  • jhall585
    Options
    Do you know how many times I have had a decadent sodium laden meal? And I haven't gained weight in almost 3 years. YOU'RE FINE! Keep working out, drink a ton of water and trek on!