How long can a plateau last?

Options
I have been strength training and working hard since April this last year. For the year before that, i lost 20 lbs and got into good habits and routines with working out then April I got more intense with workouts, and started Insanity, and finished in June, moved into the summer and lots of activities and kept going a second round of modified Insanity.

September Started Chalean Extreme. I had expected at some point thru this to lose a few pounds or see measurements change as my eating habits are generally pretty healthy. Yet the scale stayed the same, and when i use the measuring tape, there is little difference. And yes, the tape is held in the same spot for all the measurements.

I know i have seen more definition a bit in my arms and back, but not what i expected by this point...

Tips Hints Advice?

Going to be starting P90X Classic January and see what i can accomplish with that next...

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ??
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It depends on your programming.

Muscles grow when they are challenged. If your routine offers no increase in intensity (heavier weights) then you aren't going to get stronger or bigger after a certain point. So you could basically stay on that plateau until you make things harder.

Look into lifting weights...
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you are seeing increased definition, you are cutting fat. It could be that you are eating at a very small deficit and slowly burning fat and building muscle at the same time. Or you could be severely under eating and your body is desperately holding on to all it can.

"Healthy eating" doesn't necessarily mean eating enough. I didn't look to see if your diary was open, or what your age/size is so I'm only presuming the 2 possibilities mentioned.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, personally I think plateaus are essentially myths. So there is that.

Furthermore, if your weight and measurements have been largely unchanged for several months (seems since April you're saying?), that's not a plateau. That's called maintenance. You're eating roughly what your body requires for calories every day so you're staying generally the same. Judging by your ticker which says you're at goal weight, this seems to be a good thing.

If you want to lose more weight, cut calories slightly (250 tops) or increase calories burned. Or some mild combination of the two.

If you want to add some muscle mass, up your calories slightly and focus on some kind of reasonable strength training routine.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My most recent one was 7 months.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on a 7 month plateau that broke 3 weeks ago. My sister was on a 12 month, and she broke it at the same time as I did.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Until you figure out what the problem is, and adjust accordingly.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    You must push yourself harder to overcome a plateau. That doesn't mean increasing the volume of exercise, just trying something different. Insanity and P90x type programs are great for weight loss, toning up and staying fit. But they will only get you so far. If you're looking to get to the next level you need to include a dedicated weight training program. This lets you switch things up a bit and build some muscle. The more muscle you have, the easier it will be to stay lean, and it can only help you achieve that fit lean look you're looking for.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    It depends on your programming.

Muscles grow when they are challenged. If your routine offers no increase in intensity (heavier weights) then you aren't going to get stronger or bigger after a certain point. So you could basically stay on that plateau until you make things harder.

Look into lifting weights...

With the Chalean Extreme i have been lifting weights as per the program for the last 3 months, and am doing the Push circuit again this month and actually going as heavy as i can for the exercises. So for me and being at home with my exercise routine, this is lifting heavy. doing 80lbs for certain deadlift exercises is the highest yet.

I am actually hoping to have results from P90X as i plan on pushing as heavy as i can...