What is great about your City, Town or Community

Options
We all know whats wrong but what is good about your City, Town or Community
Here is my five
1. Great and safe public transport. 15 minutes from home to center of Paris.
2. Marne river ( with its endless paths in both directions) 5 minutes walk from house.
3. Community Center 2 minutes walk. ( All weather football,/running track/ tennis/dance/judo/karate et cetera.et cetera
4 6th best School/College in France.
5 Some really good friends that you can depend on when there is a crisis.

Replies

• maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    dude, that a hard question to answer for fresno , 3 hours to Sf , 3 hours to LA , 3 hours to yosimite , 3 hours to the beach , best tri tip steach sandwich in the world , conservative , a family kind of city
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I live in Manila, Philippines and I got to admit that the things I dislike about here far outweighs those that I like. The thing that I like here is that being in the capital, I have easier access to all the international airports, embassies, government offices, biggest business districts, elegant hotels, fancy restaurants and of course the chic western lifestyle.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    We have white Christmas lights on the trees downtown all year long!
  • Tamefearnua
    Options
    dude, that a hard question to answer for fresno , 3 hours to Sf , 3 hours to LA , 3 hours to yosimite , 3 hours to the beach , best tri tip steach sandwich in the world , conservative , a family kind of city
    I had 6 week vacation in your neck of the woods and I had a ball. but I rented a convertible car, not the best choice when the temperature reached 116° F.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    1. Good Luck finding it, you have to make a left turn to even get into the town and even then good luck.
    2. People actually have manners,common courtesy,and respect for others.
    3. your neighbors all watch out for one another.
    4. peaceful and quite.
    5. the lake.
    6. the sheriff of the parish lives here and so the cops wont give you speeding tickets because they know we'll just get em fixed.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    New York City...

1. Awesome public transit, can get basically anywhere I need to go. (yay no need for a car)
    2. There is *always* something to do.
    3. All of the wonderful cultural things/museums.
    4. Central Park.
    5. People are actually surprisingly nice/helpful if you give them the chance. (I know NYers have a rep for being mean/rude, but mostly I think that we're just in a hurry compared to most places)
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    1. The countryside is on my doorstep. Just outside my door are rolling hills and valleys and rivers.

2. It is safe to walk around and leave doors open etc.

3. It is quiet. I like quiet

4. The town is within walking distance

5. Very quaint town with lots of history (monks and things lol)
  • keelz2010
    Options
    1) Lincoln Cathedral with the Magna Carta inside
    2) Great bars and nightclubs
    3) Countryside views
    4) Traditional English town
    5) The Christmas Market, which starts today, can't wait!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Jerusalem:
    3,000 years of history, which is seen everywhere you go.
    People from different backgrounds and religions manage to live together with very little fractions.
    The weather is really good, never too hot or too cold.
    Nightlife's actually super awesome!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    We have an awesome town square where the town hosts multiple family events throughout the year - all free. During the summer there are outdoor movies, concerts, and theater performances, and during the holidays the main street gets all prettied up. It's like the ideal small town, family atmosphere, but with all the conveniences close by. I know all my neighbors and see them regularly. Low crime, lovely neighborhoods, and a whopping 3 minute commute to work for me. I love it here. :smile:
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I can go to bed or off to work with the doors unlocked and not be worried about anything.

JM
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That I can move when the kids are 18.

Whomever did the traffic planning in the state of Georgia should be charged of HIGH crimes.
  • xxSpiffyTiffyxx
    Options
    The beach is my backyard!
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    nothing. i really don't like where i live lol
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Well i have lived here for 12 years and I really don't know that much about it.

- we have a decent music scene
    - some really beautiful parks
    - in the winter down by the river is absolutely gorgeous (if you can stand the cold temps)

Thats really all i know... if you asked me what was sh!tty about it ... I could give you a list a mile long.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Whomever did the traffic planning in the state of Georgia should be charged of HIGH crimes.

Everybody LOVES the I-285 speedway! It's the only place you can maintain 90MPH and not worried about getting stopped!

JM
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What is great about my city? Let me ask a tourist.... there are so many of them and they think they know EVERYTHING.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1) The infrastructure for mass production/distribution isn't here so nearly all our food is local, organic & free range.
    2) South Africa is big on nature preserves (compared to the US) so I don't have to go far to get out of the city.
    3) I swear I can't explain it but the sky is bigger & the sun warmer in SA.
    4) It's cliche, but I can literally walk down the street to play with lion cubs. There are so many lion cubs.
    5) When I go for runs I chance seeing zebra, rhino, boks & monkeys hanging out in their natural environment.
  • mhaight85
    Options
    1. There are parks/playgrounds all over the place, from our house there are 3 within walking distance and another one that is good biking distance.

2. The public libraries rock! The 2 closest to me have amazing children's areas, and one of them is within walking distance.

3. I've heard in MI you are never more than 5 miles from some body of water. Not sure if that is true but I'm only about a mile from a river that leads to a bay.

4. I live in a historic logging community, there are lots of historic buildings and homes which are really great.

5. Even if my town doesn't have something, we are pretty close to bigger cities that other stores and attractions. In 30 mins or less I can get pretty much anywhere I want to go.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Safe, cheap, excellent schools, I live on one of the top 100 bass lakes in the US, it's in Texas, and close to many relatives.