Weight lifting tactics for OVERALL fat loss?

Options

Replies

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the compound lifts and kettlebells, but I disagree with "lift heavy". If you want overall tone you want to do lighter weights with more reps, heavy weights will cause your muscles to want to adapt to that heavy weight so they will rebuild bigger--this is what body builders do. You don't need a lot of weight to just create strength and tone. Of course you want to add weight over time as it gets easier. Also, starting out really heavy could cause you to hurt yourself since I'm guessing you haven't lifted in a while. All in all muscle is better than fat in any form.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone (:
    What are some examples of compound exercises? And WHAT THE HELL ARE KETTLEBELLS :P
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 4 day splits which is upper body, lower body, rest, upper, lower, then rest for the weekend. It's easy and is very similar to the 5x5, but it adds in some smaller isolation exercises too.

Here's what I am using. As I said, I'm doing the 4 day, but the 3 day works too. http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/
  • neverstray
    Options
    Thanks everyone (:
    What are some examples of compound exercises? And WHAT THE HELL ARE KETTLEBELLS :P

Google is your friend. And, you tube.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone (:

Google is your friend. And, you tube.
    I agree.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you want overall tone you want to do lighter weights with more reps, heavy weights will cause your muscles to want to adapt to that heavy weight so they will rebuild bigger--this is what body builders do. You don't need a lot of weight to just create strength and tone. Of course you want to add weight over time as it gets easier. Also, starting out really heavy could cause you to hurt yourself since I'm guessing you haven't lifted in a while. All in all muscle is better than fat in any form.
    5x5's start out VERY light and increase as your body adapts. I certainly wasn't telling the OP to start lifting heavy right off the bat..,,,
    Also the higher rep lighter weight thing is a myth. Burning fat is what tones your body and heavy lifting at lower reps is going to torch the fat. A ton of reps with the little pink dumbells isn't going to do anything for fat, that would be more for endurance.
    Also, bodybuilders use different techniques depending on whether they are bulking or preparing for a competition. But heavy compound lifting is proven to burn WAY more fat than lighter weight/higher reps.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the compound lifts and kettlebells, but I disagree with "lift heavy". If you want overall tone you want to do lighter weights with more reps, heavy weights will cause your muscles to want to adapt to that heavy weight so they will rebuild bigger--this is what body builders do. You don't need a lot of weight to just create strength and tone. Of course you want to add weight over time as it gets easier. Also, starting out really heavy could cause you to hurt yourself since I'm guessing you haven't lifted in a while. All in all muscle is better than fat in any form.

no no no. The rep range of 10-12 is "supposed" to build mass......The rep range of 6-8 is "supposed" to build strength. That said......there is no real difference and if you are going to be eating at a deficit it won't matter because you can not gain mass on a deficit. Heavy is relative. Heavy = the most weight you can do........with good form.......for < 10 reps.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5x5

It's a great beginner program that focuses on compound lifts - squats, bench press, dead lifts, rows, and overhead press. Compound lifts will give you the most bang for your buck.

As far as cardio goes, do something that gets your heart rate up and that you enjoy.

Thisss! Stronglifts is great. I had to stop because I ended up hurting my knee though :( So don't be afraid to take the program a little slower than it tells you to.

I also like to do HIIT 1-2 times a week to maximize fat loss.
  • cedarghost
    Options

If you want to build a bigger calorie deficit then you should do more cardio. You can burn way more calories with cardio because you can do it for longer times, use bigger muscle groups and do it every day.
    This is ABOLUTELY wrong. Please don't listen to it. If you want to know why, read about EPOC or the "afterburn" effect. Yes, the initial calorie burn with cardio is more, but with resistance trainging, that calorie burn will continue for up to 48 hours AFTER your workout. Cardio may last for 2 to 3 hours after on a good day, unless you are talking about HIIT, which is a completely different story.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • neverstray
    Options

If you want to build a bigger calorie deficit then you should do more cardio. You can burn way more calories with cardio because you can do it for longer times, use bigger muscle groups and do it every day.
    This is ABOLUTELY wrong. Please don't listen to it. If you want to know why, read about EPOC or the "afterburn" effect. Yes, the initial calorie burn with cardio is more, but with resistance trainging, that calorie burn will continue for up to 48 hours AFTER your workout. Cardio may last for 2 to 3 hours after on a good day, unless you are talking about HIIT, which is a completely different story.

I think you took the comment out of context, not only that, but I think it was said kind of wrong, but I think the intent was cardio combined with a good solid weight lifting program will create a great fat burning program. Many lifters do massive amounts of cardio when they are trying to cut, like before a show, they might do cardio sessions twice a day combined with their lifting, in order to burn the fat. I think that was the message there and I believe it's true, although I am not an expert.
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    *posts for later reading*
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options

Nothing more stupid than training isolated muscles (esp. with machines).

Really.:huh:
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

no no no. The rep range of 10-12 is "supposed" to build mass......The rep range of 6-8 is "supposed" to build strength. That said......there is no real difference and if you are going to be eating at a deficit it won't matter because you can not gain mass on a deficit. Heavy is relative. Heavy = the most weight you can do........with good form.......for < 10 reps.

I wasn't talking about those tiny 5lb weights, guess I should have said that. I'm talking like 15lb dumbells at 12-15 reps compared to 25lbs at 5-10 reps. When someone said lift heavy I automatically assumed lift something super heavy to a point where you can't do more than 3 reps or you're struggling, and using other muscles or momentum to lift it. And of course there's more to what body builders do than just lifting--like eating 5,000 calories a day. I'm speaking from my own experience here (I have lost more than 13 lbs btw) as well as what I have learned from personal trainers and my own research. But yes everyone's basic point to the OP is lift weights to gain muscle and lose fat. Nothing wrong with a little cardio too!
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • cedarghost
    Options

, but I think the intent was cardio combined with a good solid weight lifting program will create a great fat burning program. Many lifters do massive amounts of cardio when they are trying to cut, like before a show, they might do cardio sessions twice a day combined with their lifting, in order to burn the fat. I think that was the message there and I believe it's true, although I am not an expert.
    My apologies then. ^^^This is right.....if you want to do both, more power to you! Just give yourself plenty of time to recover.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Website for this?

5x5 Stronglifts
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Compounds Compounds Compounds.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options