Plateaus grrr

Options
Ok, I've lost 32 pounds so far but on day 56 of a plateau...I'm hanging in there, but getting frustrated. I have eaten less, eaten more, switched up my foods I eat, and even eaten "junk" just cause I wanted too. I've changed and switched my workouts and even stopped working out some just to get my body to "shock" itself and start losing again. I only fluctuate up and down few pounds but never past my last weight lost which was 10/11/12, nor have I lost any more inches. I am very thankful for not putting back on the weight, but I still have more to lose. I understand that it does take time...just be wonderful to start losing again...it's very hard to stay motivated to keep on keepin on.

I guess this is more for venting, but what has been your experience with plateaus?

Thanks for reading...

Replies

• the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So 56 days is 8 weeks. I've heard that it takes about 6 weeks to see changes from any kind of new routine. Ideally, you should make a change and then wait that long to see if it has an effect... though I can understand how frustrating that would be.

I don't really have any experience with plateaus myself (so far! *fingers crossed*), but I've heard that zig-zag dieting can help break it. That means eating more one day and less the next, but overall eating at a deficit. I found this calculator to help you determine how much you should try eating each day: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm After you put in your weight and everything, it'll give you an option to see a 7-day calorie schedule.

I hope this helps! And I hope your plateau breaks soon! Hang in there!
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump. Been in one myself for over a month...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    Weight?
    Workout routine?

I can help!
  • briannw
    briannw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Interested in hearing about this as well. It has been a few months for me. Picked up workouts, food types have been the same but quantity increased due to to increase in exercise. Went from plateau to putting on a few. Wrong direction
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am/was? in the same boat.
    About three weeks ago, I upped my cals from 1350 to 1500.
    I weigh-in on Mondays and Thursdays. Typically I would lose on Mondays and be back up on Thursdays.

Finally...the last three weigh-ins have all gone down.
    I hope that means I'm over the plateau.

Original goal was to be in ONEderland for New Years...but it's too late for that now.
    But to have lost 50 pounds by then would be just as awesome!
    That is my first reward goal...I get to go rock climing!
    Might be able to do it over winter break from work :0)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    For me the main thing is to just stay calm about it and I don't really mix things up much when I hit a plateau. I just keep doing what I'm doing and I try to keep in mind that I have just lost over 15% of my body weight in a short amount of time and maybe my body just needs a little time to adjust to this new weight before I start to lose lbs again. As long as you are eating at a healthy deficit then eventually the weight will start coming off again. :)
  • alw141
    alw141 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in one as well. Been quite a few months for me. I am struggling a bit with my diet but still should be seeing some results.
    I'm 5'7", 157 lbs. I finished Insanity (2nd round) the week of Thanksgiving but right now I'm running 3-4x/wk and doing Jillian Michaels 6wk/6pk 2-3x/wk. I'm thinking of starting P90X sometime this month. Very much looking forward to any advice too!!!
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    Weight?
    Workout routine?

I can help!

*waves hand in the air* Oo, help me, too. After a 35 lb loss over 20 weeks (5 months), I've been watching the scale go up and down between four lbs for the last three weeks. It's making me grumpy.

5'6", 233.8 (as of this morning), and I walk exclusively at this point (I use a Fitbit, which I love). I have two friends urging me to start a strength training routine, but I've never had one. I don't have the money for a gym or a trainer (the Fitbit was expensive enough as it is!!), but I do have some possible resources for hand weights.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Since i'm heading to work and cannot forum surf here is how I help people break from plateaus.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Do the numbers and use TDEE for 1 month.
    After 1 month if you havent already started losing inches cut only 20% from your TDEE and just eat that daily.
    No eating back calories.
    A static number.
  • erinnstreeter
    Options
    Since i'm heading to work and cannot forum surf here is how I help people break from plateaus.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Do the numbers and use TDEE for 1 month.
    After 1 month if you havent already started losing inches cut only 20% from your TDEE and just eat that daily.
    No eating back calories.
    A static number.

Awesome - thank you. Looking at it now...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    Weight?
    Workout routine?

I can help!
    Yes you can. Plateaus can be tough mentally. What I will say is that just changing a routine doesn't necessarily mean changing intensity. You can change out leg presses for squats, but if the intensity doesn't change, then really all you're doing is swapping exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've lost 32 pounds so far but on day 56 of a plateau...I'm hanging in there, but getting frustrated. I have eaten less, eaten more, switched up my foods I eat, and even eaten "junk" just cause I wanted too. I've changed and switched my workouts and even stopped working out some just to get my body to "shock" itself and start losing again. I only fluctuate up and down few pounds but never past my last weight lost which was 10/11/12, nor have I lost any more inches. I am very thankful for not putting back on the weight, but I still have more to lose. I understand that it does take time...just be wonderful to start losing again...it's very hard to stay motivated to keep on keepin on.

I guess this is more for venting, but what has been your experience with plateaus?

Thanks for reading...

Hi, I am having the same problem. Lost 35 pounds and cannot lose any more. I may try this flexible calorie idea,,,,,where you change your calorie intake every other day. I keep saying when I go to the gym that I will do more weights too, but I never seem to do it. I always worry more about cardio and I dont think that is helping me !
  • erinnstreeter
    Options
    @Helloitsdan - I've read the info, used the calculators, and run some numbers.

The fat2fitradio.com calculations show that I should be eating 2508 at light activity levels or 2827 at moderate activity levels for maintenance.

F8684301-117D-4DFF-BEA8-A17C4FF02699-42029-00000305F8D52D1D-1.jpg

20% of these are 2006 and 2262, respectively. Using real amounts of calories eaten on those days, the respective average amounts I "should" have eaten (over what I did eat) was 545 and 800.

CA73DF1A-91BC-4A89-8A73-2BC869EC258E-42029-000003061024615F.jpg

9A924073-2B84-4DAC-BFA1-E3AE567C7C4B-42029-0000030616064B10.jpg

I also used the TDEE from my Fitbit for each day that week to show what my daily goal "should" have been. The daily goal varies by the amount of activity on each day, of course, but the average was a TDEE of 2643, and 20% of that is 2114.

BC0CC95C-209E-462F-B164-FD07C4422BD7-42029-0000030609F4FF18.jpg

Based on the literal data from my Fitbit, if these calculations are correct, then I didn't eat an average of 653 calories per day that I should have. Whether I use the former two examples or the latter based on real activity, I'm still missing calories.

Crap.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm on a huge plateau too, the second biggie into my journey.

I'm only just recovered from foot surgery, which hasn't been particularly successful and it's totally trashed my exercise regime, so I'm just sitting on the same couple of pounds each week, but I can cope with it as long as it doesn't start rising more.

I'm not going to stress out about it until after Xmas now, as I have another review at the hospital, and may yet need more surgery, so if I lose anything, I'll be happy, if I maintain or gain just a few ounces I'll stay strong.

New Year, New Me...... again!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was on a plateau for 4 weeks. Annoyed me but I was grateful I didnt gain any weight.

Since I only had 5-10lbs to reach my goal I figured i play with my calories one day a week. I am set at 1200 but on the 5th week I ate up to 1500 one day and lost 1 lb. The 6th week I ate 1679 one day ( maintenance for me would be 1720 a day). I lost 1lb that week, too. This would be week 7 and I weigh myself on Saturdays. I ate 1600 calories one day this week, too. Hopefully this will be the 3rd week in a row the plateau was broken.
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    Weight?
    Workout routine?

I can help!

I'm 5' 4, weight 158 and right now for working out MWF work out on total gym up to 10 mins (slowly working in more as I go) and ride bike for 20 staying at 18-20mph. T TH I walk fast from 25 to 55 mins. Weekends...depends. When I first started MFP I was heavy lifting, but I want to do a workout that I know I can continue to do...I'm not going to heavy lift the rest of my life...
    I do appreciate the help.
    Thanks
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    @Helloitsdan - I've read the info, used the calculators, and run some numbers.

The fat2fitradio.com calculations show that I should be eating 2508 at light activity levels or 2827 at moderate activity levels for maintenance.

F8684301-117D-4DFF-BEA8-A17C4FF02699-42029-00000305F8D52D1D-1.jpg

20% of these are 2006 and 2262, respectively. Using real amounts of calories eaten on those days, the respective average amounts I "should" have eaten (over what I did eat) was 545 and 800.

CA73DF1A-91BC-4A89-8A73-2BC869EC258E-42029-000003061024615F.jpg

9A924073-2B84-4DAC-BFA1-E3AE567C7C4B-42029-0000030616064B10.jpg

I also used the TDEE from my Fitbit for each day that week to show what my daily goal "should" have been. The daily goal varies by the amount of activity on each day, of course, but the average was a TDEE of 2643, and 20% of that is 2114.

BC0CC95C-209E-462F-B164-FD07C4422BD7-42029-0000030609F4FF18.jpg

Based on the literal data from my Fitbit, if these calculations are correct, then I didn't eat an average of 653 calories per day that I should have. Whether I use the former two examples or the latter based on real activity, I'm still missing calories.

Crap.

Eccellent data BTW.

Most calculators give me about 2300-2500.
    My fitbit average broken down by month comes out to 2400.
    This stuff is pretty accurate!
    Having a fitbit will help!
    Just eat more for a short time to get leptin levels high then cut.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Do you have an HRM? I noticed that the machines an MFP are way off and that can really mess up your calories in/calorie out. people are obsessed about counting every single calorie in...why the heck are they not making sure they are accurate with calories out too? It makes no sense to me.

Also, people tend to change their eating/exercise habits for maybe a week or 2 and because they don't see immediate results they go back to their old way. I'm not saying that is you by any means. I just notice that's pretty common...with me too. I have gained and lost the same 5lbs for a year now so I am one to talk...haha. (sarcasm) I know what I have to do but I have been super stubborn. Dang food control issues....
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Update...Well it is now day 82 of this plateau...but Helloitsdan gave me suggestions to follow and now just waiting it out. I know it will take time for my body to adjust so trying to be patient! As my sister says...Tomorrow will be a better day!