belly measurement help!!!

Options
I am going to post this on the fitness and exercise board too but I need to know they say if your belly measures more than 35" inches for a woman you are at risk and it shouldn't be more than that.

My question is do you measure on the smallest part of your waist which is towards my ribs or do I measure right from the belly button around.

I'm worried about my measurements...If I measure from the smallest part I'm at 31inches but if I measure from the belly button around it is typically 37-38"

I'm 5'6" and weight 153-156 depending on the say.

I notice I carry most of my weight in my belly and then the butts/thighs

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I measure my waist at the smallest point, typically where it bends. I measure my belly around the belly button.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bump. I was wondering this same thing last night. Measuring right on the belly button is about an inch or two more than measuring just above the belly button, which is where many garments put the 'waist' (like a belted dress). Confused.
  • foxgl0ve
    foxgl0ve Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The rule I heard is that your risks for diabetes, heart disease, etc. are particularly high if your waist measures more than half your height (for men and women).

If you are 5'6", than you want your waist to be 33" or less at it's smallest measurement (with no squishing).

For most women their natural waist is very close to their belly button,
  • sstephanrodriguez
    sstephanrodriguez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to measure your waist where it bends at the smallest point :)
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    At curves we concider your natural bend in the abdomen your waist. The actual abdomen measurement we take at the largest part of the tummy under the bellybutton. (about two fingers under the bellybutton). I hope this helps!
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    stand in front of a mirror and bend to the side. where the skin creases is where your waist is. It is usually around 2 inches above your belly button.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    bump...I am confused as well. I thought the waist was at the smallest part like most of you are saying so far. But I saw doctor oz measure around the belly button for what that OP was talking about. Confusing.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    stand in front of a mirror and bend to the side. where the skin creases is where your waist is. It is usually around 2 inches above your belly button.
    nice tip.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yep, like everyone is saying-- measure at the smallest point (which is what they call your "natural" waist). This is usually at the belly-button.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Or just above, rather!
  • VeganZombie13
    Options

COPY & PASTE THE LINK,,, AND READ, IT TELLS YOU HOW TO DO IT RIGHT...
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Typically the narrowest point - for me, that falls about 1" above my belly button, just about at the bottom of my rib cage.

Depending on your body type, it could be 1", 2" or even at your navel. It alll depends on you.

As a result, the smallest point isn't at the belly button as someone previously stated.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    bump...I am confused as well. I thought the waist was at the smallest part like most of you are saying so far. But I saw doctor oz measure around the belly button for what that OP was talking about. Confusing.

NEVER listen to what doctor oz says
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am going to post this on the fitness and exercise board too but I need to know they say if your belly measures more than 35" inches for a woman you are at risk and it shouldn't be more than that.

Do they use the word belly? I think by that measurement they mean the smallest part, your natural waist. Its these low rise pants that have everybody confused on where your waist is.
  • Talon130
    Options
    the waist line is measured by finding your hip bone. You go directly to the top of the hip bone and go in a parallel line across hitting both sides.

You are also supposed to take 3 measurements, arms to your side, and tape measure on bare skin
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I measure around my belly button between the top stomach tyre and the bottom one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have 2 bellies :sad:
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    can someone who is curvy post a pic while taking the measurement ? I have a muffin top (curvy with love handles with somewhat flat belly). My skin creases way on the top (almost where my ribs end). I am still unsure what would be the right measurement for me. any help ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It is confusing because most people wear their pants below their natural waist...thus the waist size of your pants is usually substantially smaller than your natural waist line. Should be right at the belly button or an inch or two above...I start my measurement right at the top of my hip bone and around...it's right on with my belly button...maybe just a bit above it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound offensive, but even if at the smallest point your waist is 31", if you are 37-38" at your belly button then you probably aren't exempt from the "at risk" category you're trying to gauge.

The idea is basically "don't have a lot of belly fat"