1st day and already in the red.

Options

Replies

• sexybitch7
    sexybitch7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up , and next time you won't make the mcdonalds mistake . I'm almost to my 1/2 way point ! it was hard for me at first to change my diet and stop my emotional eating , but what really helped me was the food loging so I couldn't lie to myself about all the damage I was doing with my cookie binges and I went in with the additude that no mater how many times and no mater how badly I failed I would start again with the next meal no more excuses like I'll start again Monday , or I'll start again after the holidays . and with each day it got easier and as the weight started to come off I gained strength I never new I had . don't get me wrong I work out an 2 hours a day but thats just because my boyfriend likes to drink wine and take me out to exspensive places to eat . and I like that fact that I can still do that with him and loose 2 - 3 lbs a week like clock work :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    52 calories is no big deal. Your goal is to get as close to your calorie goal as possible. That might mean being a little under or a little over some days. As long as you're within, I'd say, 100 calories either way, you're doing just fine.

Also, I think McDonalds is totally fine as a once-in-a-while treat. I refuse to cut out all my favorite foods, including fast food. I'd go nuts!

Welcome to MFP!
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    52 calories is nothin! You could burn it off by doing about 10 minutes of stretching, or taking an extra long hot shower :)

Don't sweat going over now and then. It happens to all of us.
  • emptynester1
    Options
    I am overwhelmed by the response that my post got. thank you so much. hearing back from so many is great incentive for me. lol...i don't normally go to McD's (honestly, i don't really even like their food) but i didn't really think it out and i promised my grandson we would go. good memories made with him though so that's how i'll look at that. :smile: i can't wait to sit down and read each and every one of these responses...and of course, build my profile and figure out how to unlock my food diary. see you all back here soon. have a great day, all!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Forget today, and just try to do a bit better tomorrow.
  • BrittaneyHG
    BrittaneyHG Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    you are aware of it. That is good!! It happens and 56 is nothing walk it off!
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    It happens
  • dorkyhippy
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. It's awesome you caught yourself and you can pick yourself back up. Good luck.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you will figure it out. It takes a little while to figure out what works and doesn't work.

I personally eat Mcdonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. I do not stop eating things I like (and have lost nearly 40lbs). What I do, however, is track my food before I eat it, and allow myself the calories for it. If you go over, work out and get those calories back. It's all a learning process. Don't give up.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else. 52 calories is NOTHING! Don't worry about it and start fresh tomorrow. I also second the logging ahead, I typically prelog my entire day the night before or the morning of that way I can see how many "snack" calories I have to spare. If I don't eat something in my log, I just take it out.

And I'd like to give you a BIG GREAT JOB! on the fact that you actually logged. It is a BIG step!

Also, since it is your first day you might not know this, but you "earn" extra calories through exercise. Soooo if you take grandson for a 10 minute walk, you're sure to earn those 52 calories anyway.
  • sandip69
    Options
    I had a major blowout day when I took a trip to Old Trafford to see my team with one of my (very overweight) chums. I managed to scarf down a bacon and egg sandwich, a Whopper with cheese meal, 2 donuts, a muffin, a footlong steak and cheese and a load of cookies in 1 day. I totted it up this morning and it came to 4200 calories!!!!! I had my head in my hands. My limit is 1660!!:blushing: I had a double workout, had a decent lunch, decided to forgive myself but just eat normally accepting that I couldn't work off/undereat the deficit this week and just accept that we all have the odd really crazy day.
  • amber_j90
    amber_j90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could go for a walk and burn off those 52 calories. It will make you feel less guilty, you'll be back in your calorie range, and you'll be getting the exercise :) If you plan on eating out, plan on exercising.
    Also I've been told to go on a weekly average of calories. It's inevitable that some days you will go over, some days you will be under. If you don't feel like exercising, maybe you could aim for 10 calories under for the next 5 days?
    Good luck and don't give up!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I did the same thing on my first day of logging calories. I happened to find this website in the middle of the day so I had already ate the food from Mcdonald's. It really opened my eyes to the huge amount of calories atfast food places. I rarely eat McDonald's anymore. The very last time I went for my normal, a couple months ago, I was shoked that I used to really love that stuff.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Before today, you would not even have considered the number of calories your meal cost you. The fact that you did is a small victory; you're going to be fine!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    A- most of us ARE in the red when we first start, it takes a week or so to get use to eating differently

B- 52 calories is nothing! It takes a few hundred over each day to gain weight.

C-don't go to Mc Donald's unless it is for their pancakes, which are still not healthy, but the only think on their menu I like.

D-it is good to have fun with your grandson and make memories, YAY for that!
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it's days like this that help you figure out where you're going wrong and gives you other ideas on how to fix it.. A failure is only a failure if you don't learn from it. If you learn from it, it's not a failure, but an experience. :)
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on working out today? If yes, then don't even worry about going over 52 cal.

I agree with the top post.

1. Don't go to McDonald's
    2. DO NOT GIVE UP!

We all have our bad days.

Good luck to you :)
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Don't worry. From what I've read, it's normal to get some water weight gain while you're in the red. Don't hesitate to get some exercise in too, as it helps with cramping. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you do go to McDonalds again check the nutrition calculator befor you go that way you will know exactly what you can have and not go over. 32 calories is no big deal I have seen people triple there calorie intake before.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Since you are just starting out, that's ok. You won't be perfect. You have to fix old habits and you are just figuring things out!

Don't beat yourself up- take today as today, and make an effort to be better tomorrow!

Good luck!