Body Pump and Body combat ???

Options
Hi all , just wondering if anyone else out there does Body Pump and Body Combat classes and if so how many cals do u think we burn during those classes ...at the moment I am putting 500 for Body combat as its very quick and really gets me out of breath ....the tricky one is the Body Pump as its weights and i wouldnt have a clue ...but i would like to know ???? I will ask my instuctor but just wondered if anyone was in the know out there in the meantime ???? Thanks xxxxx:happy:

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Each person is different. I have a heart rate monitor (a must have) and in body pump usually burn about 450 calories (but I subtract 100 calories per hour that I exercise for my normal calorie burning) and about 650 (then subtract 100 calories again) for body combat. Don't know if that helps.
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wear my heart rate monitor when I go to Body Pump, and i usually burn about 450 calories. Where do you go to class? I go to the Goodlife Gym in Brisbane City.
  • Sarah219
    Options
    Hi thanks for both your replies , very helpful ..i just wanted a rough idea so your replies are great !!! I go to Danes Camp Leisure Centre , Northampton , UK xxxx
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do Body Pump about 3 times a week. I log it as 600 calories.

This is based on 10 cals per minute. I've done other exercises that record me at 15 cals / minute and I find them significantly easier than body pump. But then there are lots of rests in pump, and also a decent amount of time working small muscle groups, so I'm definitely not working at 15 cal / hour.

I don't to Body Combat, but I do Jam, RPM and balance. I log them at 400, 600 and 250 respectively. I always push myself in these sessions though... if you're kinda taking it easy, then maybe 300-400 in pump is about right. I'm gasping and walking in circles at the end of every song, and I drink about 3L water in the hour (it just disappears) so I don't think 600 is an overestimation (most likely its conservatively low).

HRM for Pump is useless because the equations aren't designed for calculating small muscle group activities, they're for cardio - running, cycling, swimming etc. Whole body movements.
  • lil_lynz
    Options
    hi there, im glad some one asked this as i do body jam and have always wondered how much im burning. I log it as 450 as someone with a monitor was burning around that much and we're around the same size and level of fitness.
  • Sarah219
    Options
    thankyou so much for replies , I appreciate that we do all burn calories differently , depending on our own size and fitness levels etc , your replies have really given me a good idea of the amount of cals to log so thankyou .....incidently I try to never eat my cals earned from exercise , but they are nice to have a a back up -just in case !!!! :happy:
  • miaiel
    miaiel Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello all, and great job..i am fairly new on this site. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me how i go about entering calories burned on this site. I go to Good Life and do a few of their classes, but when i try to add it ..especially Body Pump class i am clueless...can anyone help me?
  • trantu11
    trantu11 Posts: 6
    Options
    How to log it in the exercise section for the colorie to show up. If I log it under strength training the colorie option was not available for fill ou.
    Thanks
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Hello all, and great job..i am fairly new on this site. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me how i go about entering calories burned on this site. I go to Good Life and do a few of their classes, but when i try to add it ..especially Body Pump class i am clueless...can anyone help me?

Click on the EXCERCISE tab then when you get there click on the tab just below that one that says MY EXERCISES then hit the green button that says "CREATE EXERCISE" and add any of the classess you do and they will be saved for future use.
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Both those classes are amazing...my hrm says I burn a little under 500 but everyone is different! One of my goals is to become a step and combat instructor! :-)
  • jalineperedo
    Options
    got the following info from the Goodlife Website. Go Hard! Burn more!

Average calories burned in several popular Group EXercise Classes…
    BODYPUMP – 560 (just 3 classes = 1680 calories)
    BODYCOMBAT – 740 (just 3 classes = 2220calories)
    BODYATTACK – 735 (just 3 classes = 2205 calories)
    RPM – 675 (just 3 classes = 2025 calories)
    BODYFLOW – 390 (just 3 classes = 1170 calories)
    BODYSTEP – 620 (just 3 classes = 1860 calories)
    BODYVIVE – 420 (just 3 classes = 1260 calories)
  • basfordr
    Options
    I'm a combat instructor, and I log 500 calories per class.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm a PUMP and COMBAT instructor, and the burn... depends on the person. I don't "log" exercise, though. I've calculated my BMR, TDEE, and have come up with a calorie goal that doesn't matter how much I burn when I exercise ;-) food for thought. But... I also eat to exercise, not exercise to eat!
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I do Body Pump class twice a week (I'd love to do it 3x a week but can't fit it in my schedule) and I've been logging it at 330 calories - a number I sort of pulled out of the air. I went with the theory that I'd rather underestimate calorie burn than OVER estimate it.

However, that said, I'm sweaty and sore and feel "worked over" by the end of the class so I'm guessing it's alot more calories than I'm listing.

I also have "good classes" where I work extra hard, increase weights (and do some extra weights or pushups afterwards) and there are some classes where I'm just showing up and kinda doing the bare minimum - just to keep the habit going.
    So it all averages out.

There seems to be quite a bit of cardio - especially in the squats and lunges tracks, judging by my breathing hard rule of thumb.

Body pump is awesome and I encourage others to do this. I've had fantastic results. I wish there were more ab work though.
  • am06or
    am06or Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.lesmills.com/files/Email/BODYPUMP Research Report_final.pdf

Here is a study that was conducted that lists the average calories burned during a body pump class for men (483.1) and women (338.9), fat burned, carbs burned etc. Most of this information is on page 5. the executive summary. That being said it is from 2007, it depends how hard you push it and each release is different. Obviously an HRM is the best way to tell but I log the 339 just to be safe since I don't have a HRM and I eat back my exercise cals.

Hope this helps a bit