Ever feel like not being social until you reach GW?

Options
I don't know if anyone feels similar but I've been up and down with dieting for quite some time and just recently I've made a new commitment to myself to do what I need to do. I've also come up with a new plan for myself- instead of sticking to 1200 calories a day which I think is just too low for my body, I've upped it to 1400 calories. I also decided to stop logging my exercise calories and have been steadily working out 5 days a week. My new fitness goal is to do the arc trainer for a half hour 5-6 days a week and drink atleast 5 bottles of water a day (16.9 fluid oz.) I am a 27 year old female, 5'4 and weight 180 lbs. my goal weight is 130 so I have 50 to lose. The thing is, my husband and I are pretty social when it comes to going out on the weekends, (no kids, just to throw that out there) and lately I've been feeling more and more reclusive due to self esteem issues regarding my weight. Does anyone else feel like staying in and waiting until you are close to or at GW before making any debuts to your social circle? Just wondering...

Replies

• alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean. But with me, its not about self esteem at my current weight. Its like, I can do so well monday to friday so why would I sabotage myself by going out drinking on Saturday! Thats like hundreds of cals I dont really need! I just want to get to my goal so bad :P
  • samanthajellison
    Options
    I hear you- I'm a pretty big fan of beer so i made a switch to Bud Select 55 and its a decent compromise. It's not so much about the extra calories for me- I usually will budget my calories for them throughout the week- it's more of the social aspect. We usually hang out at the same bar with the same people every weekend and frankly I'm just starting to feel this strange feeling of anxiety about my weight. It's crept up over the past couple of years and the more I think about it the more I think everyone else is thinking about it. I know it's my own neurosis but its enough to make me want to shut myself in the house until I real GW- which is crazy because that could take some time. I don't know why I'm babbling, it's just that I'm not feeling comfortable in my own skin and I wanted to know how others coped with that...
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I found that to be true when I first began losing weight...but when the first 20 pounds came off and i looked and felt a lot better it actually makes you wanna go out and be social lol...i found it also helps encourage you to lose the rest.
  • I kind of feel the same.

But, I find its not just weight, but a lot of other superficial stuff too. Like, "Oh! I need to take a new picture of myself. But, I don't want to take it until my hair looks better." In the case of weight, it's often, "Oh! I really want to wear this dress / shirt, but it's still a little snug!" or, "I really want to go to _____, but what if I meet someone new?"

It's all kind of silly. Mostly, I just have to talk myself into not being silly and into doing what I had wanted to do two seconds ago. But, there's still a bunch of stuff I'm holding off on until I get my hot mess self all cleaned up.
  • Yayothatbaby
    Yayothatbaby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    this is exactly how I feel
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    this is exactly how I feel

Me too. Not only do I feel self conscience about my weight, I feel guilty for the alcohol. I guess if I really wanted to I could say I was going to just dance the night away, but that would take a good amount of drinks. LOL
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Awwww, I know you want to see your progress now, and maybe you have that feeling that since a "better" you is coming, you're a "lesser" you right now...

Anyway, what I really want to say is this -- don't put your life on hold! I guarantee, you will ALWAYS have a reason why you don't want your friends to see you on a particular day. You weighed in higher than you expected, you didn't do as well at your last workout as you wanted, you had a bad hairday, you had a headache, you stayed up too late last time, etc etc etc

Basically, if you're not enjoying yourself, what are you losing weight for? You're not going to be a completely different person if/when you're at your goal weight, you'll just be a smaller/fitter version of you. Have fun with your friends now, continue to have fun with them as you move towards your goals, preferably never stop having fun :)

Your friends are your friends because they're the ones who will support you (at least, I sure hope so). If anything, they're going to have a growing respect for you as you continue forward

Best of luck!