Sharing too much?

Options
Hi Guys,

One thing that I am doing in support of my weight loss efforts is telling people like my boyfriend and sister that I am on this journey. I don't have a lot to lose, but I always find it hard sticking to a plan - especially when i'm the only one that knows.

I live with my boyfriend so he see's me entering in food into my diary every night and I always update my sister on my scale victories. However last night when I was planning my exercise for today, my boyfriend mentioned 'you're always thinking about calories!!!'

Am I sharing too much with him? I don't want to come across as self conscious and too worried about my weight. What do you guys think??

Replies

• aeich8899
    aeich8899 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    first off your cat is adorable, looks just like mine. Second I kind of do the same thing with my husband. So you know what I did, i friend-ed a bunch of people an now i don't talk as much with him about it. But i also sat down with him and explained why it was so important to me. He now gets it. Hope it helps
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yes; in the end nobody really cares! lol sounds harsh but its so true
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Well you have to think about calories if you want to drop some weight, your boyfriend is being silly :)
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Live-in BF, it doesn't sound like your over the top planning your exercise? My OA friend did mealing planning and would only eat if he planned. Your logging planning your exercise seems resonable to me, but I'm not normal.
    Let your results do the talking...
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for your feedback guys! I'm going to try to keep my updates for myself and this community, rather than to my boyfriend. It will be better for the both of us. Then when he notices that I look skinnier he might have a clue as to why I do this :)

aeich- thanks for the comment on my kitty. i <3 her :)
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does the same thing...but he did say that he noticed I "broke through my plateau" I decided to not talk about it with alot of people
  • Its easy for someone who isnt doing a weight loss journey to think that we are only thinking about calories.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I would suggest telling a few of your friends/family and then for the most part, just talk about your journey with those on the message boards...people doing the same journey. I think those who aren't doing it can get a bit bored hearing about the ins and outs of losing weight or getting in shape. It may even turn them off because maybe they also want to get in shape or lose weight but aren't ready to yet make the efforts to do either or both. When you lose enough where people start to notice and ask questions, just say you are just eating better and trying to get into shape. Don't get into too much detail unless they ask. :)
  • I didn't tell my boyfriend about trying to loose weight because, he usually replies that he doesn't think I need to loose weight. He's wonderful and lovely and I think he likes my pudge. He is a huge traitor and he must be kept far from my weight loss plans and that take away menu or he will ruin all my hard work.

Don't take it personally, love. I'm sure he loves you and is too lovestruck to see any flaws. So, he might not take your weight loss as seriously as you do.