Any body else have a Thyroid problem?

Options
So here is my story:

I have always been a "bigger girl" The girl that is slightly bigger than the rest of her friends. In high school I was an extremely active, two sport athlete (soccer and volleyball) I was in great shape. I ate really well because my parents ate pretty much organic because my father had a heart condition and his cholesterol needed to be watched. Needless to say I was a healthy kid, but I just couldn't drop weight. I would drop 10lbs but than nothing else (The 10 lbs were probably water weight)

Today I feel like I have the same issue. I am 5' but 155lbs. (I should be between 95- 125) I work out every other day. I run 3 miles and do exercises like pushups and etc. I also was doing insanity and yoga. I change it up a lot. I have a job where I am constantly on my feet running around. I am very active and I am hardly ever really sitting down. I eat healthy (for the most part) and I just dont understand why I can not lose weight. I feel like a fit skinny girl in a fat body and I can't get out, no matter what I do! I am starting to think that I may have a Thyroid problem.

Is there anyone on here that has a thyroid problem? How do you cope?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food every day? Unless you do that, you could easily be eating too much. That's the only way to keep track.

The blood test for under active thyroid is inexpensive, and so is the treatment. The pills are less than $8 a month, even without insurance. Get tested.

You can lose weight successfully once treated (if that is the problem.)
  • igrratu
    Options
    If you really do have a thyroid problem...it's easy for your doctor to diagnose with a blood test. YES. It is tougher for those of us with thyroid problems because it does cause a slower metabolism. (hypothyroidism that is) My thyroid is monitored closely (every 3 months) to make sure I'm in my personal optimal range. Since being on my medication CORRECTLY, I have been able to lose almost 30 pounds. (Over 5 months, so fairly slowly, but the tortise will beat the hare...) It also helps to be on a good birth control for your body if that is another possible hormone issue. Sometimes it takes a long time to get "just right."
  • SifuJamie
    SifuJamie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    My name is Jamie..I'm a kung-fu and Tai Chi Teacher and I also hold a degree in holistic medicine, and study the Chinese healing arts for well over 30 years now. Just didn't want you to think I was some flukie....Any way, The easy way to regulate your thyroid... Headstands or even easier..put a book on the floor and hang over edge of bed and read for 10 to 15 min.before bed. The only way to stimulate the throid is either, getting the thyroid below the heart (headstands) or deep breathing. I have had students/patients totally off their thyroid meds within 3 month doing this.Best of Health Jamie :)
  • summrgirl720
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Grave's Disease 3 yrs ago because I was losing way too much weight too fast (like 20 lbs in 2 weeks, bad). After 2 yrs on a bunch of diff thyroid medications and anxiety meds, I put on close to 25 lbs. I'm 5'3" and currently weigh 147-149 on a given day and I work out 5 days a week and stay under 1200 calories. I even did TurboFire and Insanity and it did NOTHING for me. :(

I totally feel your pain. I made an appointment to see my endocrinologist next week to get my blood levels tested and see what's going on with my thyroid because for someone who works out and eats the way I do, I really should have lost at least 5 lbs this month. It's frustrating and I can completely understand!!
  • summrgirl720
    Options
    interesting. my endo classified me as 'dormant' over a year ago and took me off meds... but i def have noticed that weight loss is IMPOSSIBLE. are you still on meds? have you ever gone back and forth between hyper and hypo?
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    Go to your doctor to get your blood tested for this. This should be done annually and it will include your thyroid. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism years ago. I have since been on medication that has absolutely helped me with weight management. Go get checked and at least it will be something that can be treated or that you can eliminate. Send me a msg with any questions.Good luck to you.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people (including me on here that have Thyroid issues) and there is a group with tons of great advice here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Get a blood test, and take replacement hormones as prescribed. There is no other way to diagnose or treat thyroid disease. The symptoms overlap with too many other indistinct problems. Self diagnosing and looking for treatment on an internet forum is a bad idea.

FYI- Having thyroid disease is not something you want. It means medication for the rest of your life.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    My name is Jamie..I'm a kung-fu and Tai Chi Teacher and I also hold a degree in holistic medicine, and study the Chinese healing arts for well over 30 years now. Just didn't want you to think I was some flukie....Any way, The easy way to regulate your thyroid... Headstands or even easier..put a book on the floor and hang over edge of bed and read for 10 to 15 min.before bed. The only way to stimulate the throid is either, getting the thyroid below the heart (headstands) or deep breathing. I have had students/patients totally off their thyroid meds within 3 month doing this.Best of Health Jamie :)

Erm.....no. This is RIDICULOUS advice. :laugh:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Get a blood test, and take replacement hormones as prescribed. There is no other way to diagnose or treat thyroid disease. The symptoms overlap with too many other indistinct problems. Self diagnosing and looking for treatment on an internet forum is a bad idea.

FYI- Having thyroid disease is not something you want. It means medication for the rest of your life.

^ This.

If you think that might be it, see your doctor and get tested.

Besides just medication, it also means you have to get blood tests and checkups on a regular basis for the rest of your life. Cha-ching.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nevermind
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for years, and it's a pretty extreme case. I had literally every symptom, magnified. I think it's hard to deal with because a lot of the people on this site, and the population in general, will tell you that you need to eat 1600 cals/day (or whatever the "magic number" is for the day", exercise for 45 minutes-1 hour 3-5x/week, and that it's purely a numbers game. They're right... for them.

What I would do if I were you (and it sounds like we're very similar!) is obviously get your thyroid checked, get on the right meds, and then, get your metabolism checked. My nutritionist used MedGem on me and I found out that even being on thyroid meds for 10 years, and post lap-band surgery, my BMR is only 1100-1200 cals/day. That means that in order to lose, I am on 1200 cals/day WITH an hour of intense exercise and not eating back calories.

Also, get to know your body. If you haven't already, cut out food groups or certain foods to see if you're sensitive to anything. I know gluten intolerance is sort of a hot topic, but when I eat yeasty/bready/gluteny things (including drinking beer), I feel sick and sluggish. Though it's not celiac's, it's some type of intolerance so I generally just stay away from things that don't make me feel good and I've lost, over the last 16 months, 100+lbs.

Like you, I was a 3-sport/year athlete through high school and was always chubby if not quite overweight and I am now, finally, out of the obese category and 20lbs away from being out of the overweight category.

Hang in there. It's not as easy for us as it is for others, but get to know your body and try different things to see what works for you.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, I don't use it as an excuse.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Hey,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You win today's.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Nice
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, I don't use it as an excuse.

Ditto that.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

^ This.

If you think that might be it, see your doctor and get tested.

Besides just medication, it also means you have to get blood tests and checkups on a regular basis for the rest of your life. Cha-ching.

Yep, if you are hypo, welcome to medication for the rest of your life. Not the end of the world, but still. And definitely not something you can self diagnose. I didn't look at your diary, but it might just be that you're not eating enough to fuel your body through those intense workouts.
  • shan899
    Options
    Thanks people! I'll get it checked for sure. I never intend to make it an excuse I was just asking people who do have one, so if I do have a thyroid problem I know how to cope with it. Never meant to make a "thyroid issue" an "excuse".
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

Quoting for good advice
  • jeccabean413
    Options
    Hey girl!! My name is Becca. Hello from TEXAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!

I was born without a thyroid and have been on medication since I was a week and a half old. I can guarantee you that having a thyroid problem is a big brick wall when it comes to weight loss... I have been a big girl since before I can remember. I have been the brunt of jokes, and the joker. I've had really low self-esteem and I've had the best self confidence i've ever had. Eating healthy and not overeating is definitely key, even though you don't see the pounds drop, you'll feel better and healthier.

Take it from me, it's not easy. Just do what feels right without starving yourself because that is NEVER the answer.

Good luck, darlin!