PBJ?

Options
Is a peanutbutter jelly sandwich healthy? I dont mind the carbs (I run alot) I use potato bread and light jelly with crunchy peanutbutter..... Good or bad?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wholewheat bread would be better, and replacing the jelly with a banana would be better but, not bad just not great.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think it's good, but that's jmo. Usually I eat just the chunky PB with a slice of sara lee 45 cal bread :)
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    peanut butter has healthy fats and lots or protein..use wheat bread and i would use a sugar free jelly..I use smuckers sugar free preserves and jif..the sugar free preserves has 80% less calories then the regular preserves too
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not! :) I love preserves on mine. Lately it's raspberry or strawberry. We have blackberry in the pantry I'm dying to open but we already have the 2 open & they're both pretty full. :\ You could also substitute the regular PB for natural PB so you're only getting peanuts and salt and then you know it's actually good for you, with no extras!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter & honey on whole wheat. I use Country Kithen light Whole wheat, 35 cal per slice. And it tastes much better when the bread is toasted. Just as sweet as jelly but much lower on the glycemic index so it's a little "healthier" than jelly.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    sometimes you just gotta have an ol' pb&j. my version is a salt-free brown rice cake with creamy almond butter and fruit preserves. its about 140 calories. not bad!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster when they said to use whole wheat bread, and use a banana instead of jam or jelly. Or even sliced strawberries. I typically don't eat jelly or jam because of the amount of sugars in them. I watch my sugar pretty carefully, especially processed sugar. And limit myself to 2 servings of fruit a day. I also use the natural peanut butter as it also has less sugars, but the same good fats. I ate a nice peanut butter sandwich the other night after a hard late workout at the gym. It was like heaven...yummm!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I love them. I don't use jelly though...I use apple slices or banana slices.
    I get my PB at Whole Foods (where I can grind it myself-peanuts only) or cashew butter is really great too.
    I also only use whole wheat or whole grain bread (that has no HFCS or artifical ingredients).
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    peanut butter is a great way to get enough protein in and just use the sugar free jelly and high fiber bread for a healthy fillling meal. that is one of the frequent meals used by THRIVE