CrossFit Anyone?

Options
I have an opportunity to try CrossFit for a few sessions. Just started back on MFP and plan on sticking with it. I'm bored with exercise DVDs and wanted something new. Anyone tried it? Worth it?

Replies

• jnemm05
    jnemm05 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sherlease0208
    Sherlease0208 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    what is bump?
  • Linds_Joy
    Options
    "Bump" is just used as a reply so the post will stay at the top of the forum.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    yes. there is a Crossfit group here.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    try it. you might like it you might hate. i personally love it
  • Linds_Joy
    Options
    I've been watching YouTube Videos and I think I will really like. I guess the only thing I have to lose is weight right?
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    I've tried it a few times and probably never will again because personally I think crossfit is the devil in disguise....
    But my husband does do it regularily and believe me, it WORKS!

If you've got that much energy and motivation - go for it!!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to try my first class next week. A friend of mine and I are signing up. We are both in fairly okay shape...so Crossfit will likely kick our *kitten*. But we get a week free, and I wanna see what it's all about. ;)
  • dcdemocrat34
    Options
    I have friend that do it, and LOVE IT, its on my to try list for next year.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If I had a few free sessions, I'd try it. Why not? Gets you moving, and you never know - you might love it.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My only beef with crossfit: It seems to emphasize speed over form on exercises where form is crucial. Just make sure you learn the moves right before you start racing against that clock.
  • Linds_Joy
    Options
    I'm signing up with a girl from work. Let me know how you like it! We are starting next week and plan on going 2 days (depending on how day 1 goes) lol
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I want to try it. They always have a special place in the gym dedicated to it. however, I am broke, and I think it's pretty pricey.
  • onesamurai
    Options
    Just be careful as if you are not starting out in decent or better shape you really have a shot at causing an injury to yourself. This is basically a navy seal training program. A lot of weights, pull ups, and daily workout routines. Not something for a person who is not in good shape to start. I know as I hurt my shoulder using the kettle balls. I had six months of rehabilitation due to being an idiot. So if you can run three miles, dead lift a 45 lb bar 10 times, do 10 push ups, 10 pull ups, 30 sit ups in 30 minutes it might be something for you. What I just said is about half of a normal routine. Remember Cross fit's warms ups are tougher than most peoples works outs.
  • Linds_Joy
    Options
    I want to try it. They always have a special place in the gym dedicated to it. however, I am broke, and I think it's pretty pricey.

I'm broke too but I'm looking for something to motivate me and something I will enjoy. I loved doing conditioning in HS but I couldn't ever find anyone else who actually enjoyed doing stationed workouts until now. I'm going to try my free sessions and hopefully I will love it! I have an idea in my head of what I want to look like by next summer but I've let myself down too many times to make it happen and stick to. It's now or never..
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is pricey. But, my son does it and loves it. We could never get him to do any other kind of regular exercise before, except sports. I think he likes the intense camaraderie in the gyms, and the fact that it is fast. The workouts take 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour and you are done.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Just be careful as if you are not starting out in decent or better shape you really have a shot at causing an injury to yourself. This is basically a navy seal training program. A lot of weights, pull ups, and daily workout routines. Not something for a person who is not in good shape to start. I know as I hurt my shoulder using the kettle balls. I had six months of rehabilitation due to being an idiot. So if you can run three miles, dead lift a 45 lb bar 10 times, do 10 push ups, 10 pull ups, 30 sit ups in 30 minutes it might be something for you. What I just said is about half of a normal routine. Remember Cross fit's warms ups are tougher than most peoples works outs.

good points. but this is why it's good for people to check their egos at the door. all workouts can be scaled. if someone cant do pullups they use bands. if they can't do the Rx weights they scale, if they can't run then they row or walk.

same thing goes with sacrificing form for time. everyone is an adult. so if someone not familiar with snatches decides to start at Rx weight (we had people liek this in my on-ramp class) and have sloppy form just to shave a minute off their time then that's kind of on them. maybe my box is nicer than most, but i've never been chastised for not going faster or saying i need a second band to help during pullups.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Cross fit is literally the degradation of society. Cross fitters believe that they are "superior" to everyone because they crossfit and they are "Paleo". There is such an arrogance that comes with crossfit. Anyone that says they aren't arrogant and they do crossfit is lying. Every person who does cross fit looks at everyone else as weaker and that they exercising right. This is a fad, much like every other exercise program and diet. I cannot wait until the day this "movement" passes.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Cross fit is literally the degradation of society. Cross fitters believe that they are "superior" to everyone because they crossfit and they are "Paleo". There is such an arrogance that comes with crossfit. Anyone that says they aren't arrogant and they do crossfit is lying. Every person who does cross fit looks at everyone else as weaker and that they exercising right. This is a fad, much like every other exercise program and diet. I cannot wait until the day this "movement" passes.
    Agreed!
  • Linds_Joy
    Options
    Agreed!

I am definitley not arrogant. I just want to work through this rut. It looks fun so I'm willing to give it a shot. Not eveyone who does it is 'superior.' At the end of each workout we're all going to be the same. Wore out! :-)