BIRTH CONTROL

Options
So I excersize EVERY morning. I run for 40 minutes and then do a muscle group. Last month I went back on the pill. I have gained 15 lbs in one month. Does anyone have this problem or have a solution?

Replies

• LauraGUnit
    Options
    It's probably the pill then if you're eating under your calories. You may be retaining water. Which pill do you use?
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Eek! What pill are you on? I recently went back on birth control and was scared of this exact thing happening, so I talked to my doctor and let her know that I absolutely didn't want to be put on something that was going to cause weight gain or make it hard to lose weight. She put me on yasmin and I just started my second pack... haven't noticed a problem with the weight issue what-so-ever. My doctor did say that most pills cause weight issues, but that she was confident this particular one wouldn't do so. So far, she's been right. Perhaps simply switching from one pill to another would be your solution...
  • eliseswietek
    Options
    Diane....it's HORRIBLE. Especially because I'm trying SO hard to lose weight. Maybe I should switch because this is NOT fun. I struggle with pills alot, they make me nautious or break out with acne. Having a very hard time here.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Diane....it's HORRIBLE. Especially because I'm trying SO hard to lose weight. Maybe I should switch because this is NOT fun. I struggle with pills alot, they make me nautious or break out with acne. Having a very hard time here.

Well, the only reason I am even on birth control is to control acne. So far yasmin seems to be doing the trick. You should give your doc a call! :wink:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I have had good experience with the NuvaRing. No side effect whatsoever and I seem to be able to lose weight just fine.
  • ShortygirlGA
    Options
    If the only reason you are on BC is for acne maybe you could try Proactiv instead of having hormones throughout your body. I love proactiv and I also take yaz for my PMDD. If it was not for the PMDD I would not take BC at all.
  • ShortygirlGA
    Options
    Does the nuva ring ever slip out? Does it help with PMDD like yaz?
  • chelsinicole
    Options
    Im on it too and i had gained 20 lbs. I was extremely depressed about this, but a couple months later my body is adjusting and i am able to lose the weight again
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    FROM THE MAYO CLINIC WEBSITE

Do birth control pills cause weight gain?
    Lots of women think so. But studies have shown that the effect of the birth control pill on weight is small — if it exists at all.

Instead, you may be retaining more fluid, which can make you feel as if you've put on weight, particularly in your breasts, hips and thighs. The estrogen in birth control pills does affect fat (adipose) cells, making them larger but not more numerous.

In rare circumstances, women may add muscle, which can add weight, when taking the pill. This is due to the slight male-sex-hormone effect that the pill may have on some women.

Whether this side effect shows up when you get on the scale or only when you look in the mirror, you may not like it. Taking pills with a low dose of estrogen may diminish the effect, but you may also experience a greater risk of spotting between periods.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    If the only reason you are on BC is for acne maybe you could try Proactiv instead of having hormones throughout your body. I love proactiv and I also take yaz for my PMDD. If it was not for the PMDD I would not take BC at all.

Tried it! No luck. I have severe PCOS and it throws my hormones way out of whack. I'm actually benefiting in more ways from the BC than just reducing my acne, it's just that the acne was the only thing bothering me enough to convince me to do something about it.
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i used yaz anad in 2 months gained 20 pounds. My boobs went from a small C to a D. I felt like a bloated fish. I switched pills and I ended up loosing 10 pounds and I am working on the other 10. it sucks though!
  • inadelirium
    Options
    I feel you on the weight! I have never stayed a full cycle on hormonal birth control because of allergies/intolerance even at the very very low doses.

Recently I had Mirena IUD put in and it has mild hormones. I also noticed like a 5-10 pound initial weight gain. After the 2nd cycle I'm okay back to pre IUD weight. I do think water retention has a lot to do with it.

Has your diet changed any, like what you're eating not necessarily how much?
  • halfacerk
    halfacerk Posts: 41
    Options
    I have had good experience with the NuvaRing. No side effect whatsoever and I seem to be able to lose weight just fine.

i just went back on the nuvaring last month and ive gained 10lbs....
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys are making me nervous! I as just thinking about getting back on BC myself.. Actually, I should have started last month so I have the pills sitting on my counter.. Maybe I need to do some more research.. UGH! I hate this just wehn you try so hard to do the right thing, there is the possibility of a pill coming and screwing it all up! WTH!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I use Novuring. I love it. It doesn't make me any hungrier. It does not make me sick to my stomach. It doesn't go through your mouth, so your liver isn't processing so much of it. You can take it out for a few hours and put it in afterwards. It has never slipped out on me. I don't even know it's there. I don't have to remember to take a pill every day. Freedom.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Does the nuva ring ever slip out? Does it help with PMDD like yaz?

I'm not sure about PMDD but I've only had it slip out a couple times but I haven't had any problems with it being ineffective because of it. All the NuvaRing stuff says you're safe up to 3 hours of it being out. Overall, it's great. It's the only (first) birth control I've been on. My periods have gotten better, I'm not as moody, cramps aren't as bad, etc. I don't think it's supposed to help with skin 'cause I haven't noticed a difference because of the Ring. I don't mind, though...I have eczema so I have to do eat certain things & exfoliate to keep my skin clear.

The only thing I didn't like about the NuvaRing, is the first two months, I was SUPER emotional. I would cry a lot and it was basically like I was always on my period because my body wasn't used to it yet.

PS - For those saying they gained weight on the NuvaRing... I've noticed in another BC thread on here, most of the NuvaRing users only gained after they went off it and then starting using it again. I would suggest just not going off it unless you want to get pregnant. I find it's cheaper than regular birth control. I think my sister paid $45/month for her Yaz and I paid $105 for a 3 month supply of the NuvaRing.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was on the BC about two years ago and the only one that worked (didn't cause weight gain) was Yazmin but it was so expensive that I couldn't afford it plus I never remember to take it. I tried the Nuvaring. It was the most convienent BC I tried. Mine never slipped out, not even during "happy" time. I didn't notice ANY weight gain! I would recommend. Some women say that it makes them feel weird by inserting so definitely something to think about. My tubes are tied now so I am as free as a bird LOL
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Well you're not gaining 15 pounds of fat in one month. It's fluid retention. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll probably notice a giant drop one week. I am on Jolessa (generic for Seasique) and I love it, no side effects...periods 4x a year and far less back pain during TOM.

On a side note, Proactiv is a horrible thing to be on. It bleached my sheets and pillowcases at night. Do you really want to put something into your body that strips color from your sheets? Plus, my acne came back 10-fold when I stopped using Proactiv.
  • lilmisswny
    Options
    I actually started the DEPO shot about 8 months ago, I noticed its HARDER to loose the weight now, but I have actually lost since I have been on it, was 181 when started it I am at 174 now, just started this whole loose weight work out thing STRONG this week so we shall see what happens!! Good luck with that BC