Surviving Holiday Parties? How do you handle them?

Options
Hey MFP-ers!

I'm going to a holiday party tonight (theme: hot drinks). Parties are ALWAYS my worst eating situations since food and drinks are a) unhealthy usually and b) just out all night to graze, so I end up WAY overdoing it and feeling terrible about it later.

What are your tips for surviving these types of events? I'm hoping to for once handle it right!

-Nicky

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My plan of attack for this year's holiday party season is to have a small salad, with some lean protein (like an egg, sliced up turkey/chicken breast, tuna) before we go. I also plan on skipping the soup (most seem to be cream based). I will politely decline the desert, and have a bite or 2 of my husband's.

As for the alcohol factor..that's going to be trickier, I'll likely opt for one or 2 glasses of wine for the evening.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    wear the best outfit you have one that makes you feel awesome! keep reminding yourself how awesome you look in your outfit and do you really want to ruin it by overeating to the point of being uncomfortable. :) that's my plan at least. yes i also plan on having my 2 glasses of wine.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am heading to a party tonight. My plan is to drink wine spritzers. In terms of food, I plan to stick to lean protein and vegetables, and avoid high fat foods such as cheese and creamed based dips. I will allow myself one sweet.

We'll see how that goes....
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    White wine spritzers or vodka lime and soda.

I almonds take 10-15 almonds in my purse

Skip the fried hors d'oeuvres

Have the carrot and celery sticks with only a little bit of dip

Fruit platters are your friend
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There usually not that dangerous, a "just in case" piece in a discreet ankle holster is all you would need.

Labor Day BBQ's on the other hand...
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Get drunk enough to not care.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go! That's my strategy anyway. It's a lot easier to avoid snacking on whatever is there if i am already full. If i'm full, i have the presence of mind to pick and choose what foods i may want, and what to avoid. If i go hungry: hard to resist anything that looks good!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    where do you think the expression "Turn in the punch bowl" comes from?
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It's just another day in the life of a healthy human being. You'll just have to make the "healthiest" decisions you can given the situation. Another tip would be to eat dinner / a large meal before the event and treat the food and drinks there as dessert, just sampling a bit of your favourite things.
  • PoleDancerJessica
    Options
    Not sure what your relationship situation is, but anytime I'm at a gathering, i always plan for some...ahem....extracurricular activity afterward. this is NOT something I want to do when I feel stuffed, and the thought of nekkid time with the hubs later in the evening is enough motivation to make me not want to eat everything in sight.

Just a thought:)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go! That's my strategy anyway. It's a lot easier to avoid snacking on whatever is there if i am already full. If i'm full, i have the presence of mind to pick and choose what foods i may want, and what to avoid. If i go hungry: hard to resist anything that looks good!

Just to add to this, lean meat fills you up best!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I only have a few holiday parties to attend so I just have a drink or two, eat and enjoy! I just don't make it an excuse to blow an entire week. Next day I'm back at the gym and eating healthy!
  • jmiltenberger
    Options
    Excellent idea -- eat something before you go (about an hour or so).

Moderation! Take only a LITTLE bit of the things that you would normally splurge on. If you deny yourself completely, you'll be frustrated and angry...and may say "screw it" and go overboard!

If there is an appetizer/happy hour...skip it! Just go for the main meal and socialize during that.

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL
    -- when we drink we tend to lose any sense of how full we are or how much we've eaten...or simply find that we don't care!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Make a decision beforehand whether to splurge or play it cool. If you decide to splurge, then splurge, if not then play it cool.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Another day in the life of a healthy person.

What would a healthy person do?

Eat in moderation and enjoy yourself. If you do happen to overindulge, make it up over the next few days.
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I bring a nice tray with cut up veggies, hummus, pears, apples, & nuts and try to stick to that. Also a nice gift for the host. Two glasses of red wine and lots of water in between.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to carry on as usual and not worry about it. To me, holiday eating = pleasure and I like it. If I gain fine, if not, GREAT. But I always make sure to stay on track as best as possible. =)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    This is how I survived Thanksgiving: I ate everything I wanted in very small portions. I didn't feel deprived of the yummy stuff I really wanted to eat and I didn't feel guilty because I didn't overdo it. You can do this!